Witcher 3 - Editorial @ Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Rock, Paper, Shotgun's Nathan Grayson has posted a lengthy article about the few things he is worried about based on the demo of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

Oh, I do so love a good disclaimer. Why, I think I see one galloping over the hill right now! Look at it go, diving in to interject just as I was about to say something ill-conceived/stupid. So: I largely think The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt looks excellent. I got to watch (though not play, sadly) a new 45 minute demo of it during E3, and it encouraged me to peel off another layer from my carapace of hardened skepticism. There were bustling towns, bizarre characters, and beardly moments of derring do. In the spirit of SENSATIONALIST FEAR, however, I did notice a few cracks in the game’s lovingly rusted witcher armor.
More information.

Those are a few red flags. I remember one company which super-scaled the third entry in to their beloved series and came up with a lot of problems.

Seriously though, 50 times the size of their previous game? No wonder they delayed by half a year or so. With that scale, I think no delay will ever be enough. Either they weren't over their heads to begin with and make Skyrim++ or we will see 2015's version of a Gothic 3 mess. I hope for the former!

Seriously though, 50 times the size of their previous game?

In landmass, the previous games were not that big landmass-wise either. Also, with boat and horse for travel, it probably means quite a bit of "empty space".

Either they weren't over their heads to begin with and make Skyrim++ or we will see 2015's version of a Gothic 3 mess.

I don't think TW3 will come out as a 500+ bugs mess that will never be completely patched by devs like those two.

So if you played TW2 none of this is new.

1) core gameplay mechanics actiony and not especially inspiring
2) fine story
3) super awesome visuals that you'll only be able to see on your 2018 desktop

But all the above still got TW2 millions in sales, which is spectacular considering potato- level budget, so no surprise they're copying the formula. Personally I'd rather see sprites and awesome gameplay, but I know I'm in a tiny minority.

Core gameplay is gonna be a lot better in open world though, tons of more exploring and in turn more immersive as well.. Which is why you'd want to play an open world game in the first place. I think millions of people would love to see a Skyrim but with great story and NPC's + even bigger/better designed gameworld, and i think CDP knows that ;)

Eh? TW2 had excellent performance upon release, with the only exception being the optional Ubersampling.

You're not making any sense.

1) core gameplay mechanics actiony and not especially inspiring
2) fine story

But all the above still got TW2 millions in sales, which is spectacular considering potato- level budget, so no surprise they're copying the formula. Personally I'd rather see sprites and awesome gameplay, but I know I'm in a tiny minority.

I thought the combat was pretty well done. I've grown to like good action combat though.

I also had no problem running the game even with uber sampling.

I don't agree.

It had plenty of options to choose from for lower end systems. Overall, it performed very well for how good it looked.

That was my experience, anyway.

I don't remember performance being mentioned as an issue by many - except, as I said, with Ubersampling, which is still quite demanding.

That said, it was hard to tell the difference with it on or off, so I was fine not using it.

It had plenty of options to choose from for lower end systems. Overall, it performed very well for how good it looked.

That's true, and I should have mentioned that. What I meant is that you needed a very high-end (for the time) system to run it smoothly on high settings or above.

My system was pretty fast back then and I still had slowdown in many places on high settings. (No Ubersampling)

It's also worth mentioning that I finished TW2 within the first week it was released and haven't played it since. I hear that performance has vastly improved since then.

That's true, and I should have mentioned that. What I meant is that you needed a very high-end (for the time) system to run it smoothly on high settings or above.

My system was pretty fast back then and I still had slowdown in many places on high settings (No Ubersampling).

It's also worth mentioning that I finished TW2 within the first week it was released and haven't played it since. I hear that performance has vastly improved since then.

I don't remember my exact system setup at release, though it was definitely high-end - as I'm pretty demanding when it comes to performance, and I upgrade at least once a year.

I do remember having to play around a bit with the settings - but I don't remember any significant slowdown with everything on max (or close to it) - except ubersampling - which usually means it'll run just fine on lower end systems, if you adjust accordingly.

In any case, I don't think it's fair to say that you'll need a "2018 desktop" to run Witcher 3 - based on what we know.

I'm pretty confident it'll run fine to great on a high-end 2015 system.

Time will tell, though :)

I don't remember my exact system setup at release, though it was definitely high-end - as I'm pretty demanding when it comes to performance, and I upgrade at least once a year.

I do remember having to play around a bit with the settings - but I don't remember any significant slowdown with everything on max (or close to it) - except ubersampling - which usually means it'll run just fine on lower end systems, if you adjust accordingly.

Yes, if you adjust accordingly. For TW2 I'm guessing that meant turning a lot of things off for lesser systems. I remember performance being a major topic when it was released.

I don't look at that as a negative though. Imo, the game was simply ahead of its time.

In any case, I don't think it's fair to say that you'll need a "2018 desktop" to run Witcher 3 - based on what we know.

I'm pretty confident it'll run fine to great on a high-end 2015 system.

Yeah, there was just a bit of exaggeration there. I too think it'll be fine with a current high-end system.

The TW2 had excellent performance upon release if you had a very high-end system. :)

I suppose i'm not a very good gauge for how demanding games are as I always keep my system high-end+.

I don't remember anyone I know having a problem though.

I suppose i'm not a very good gauge for how demanding games are as I always keep my system high-end+.

I don't remember anyone I know having a problem though.

It wasn't about having problems, it was just needing a high-end system to run it with all the bells and whistles. :)

Not that it wasn't without some problems though. There was that input lag that many of us suffered from…

It wasn't about having problems, it was just needing a high-end system to run it with all the bells and whistles. :)

Not that it wasn't without some problems though. There was that input lag that many of us suffered from…

Yes, the input lag I had forgotten about that. It must have been fixed in a patch or EE. I didn't notice a hint of it when I recently was messing around in the arena.

I'm not sure what are you all talking about. I had no performance problems with TW2, although I didn't (couldn't) use ubersampling.
If you're refering to keyboard odd behavior, that was patched later, but was global issue, not a specific hardware thing.

I did however experience performance problems with TW1. Game saving/loading times, before the patch, were horrible! It lasted like copying 10Gb of data over USB1.0.

So you don't remember that?
I remember my disbelief it has to take that long and thinking that my HDD probably farted.

I do recall hearing that the load times were pretty bad when it was first released. I didn't play it though until after the EE patch.

Back
Top Bottom