Dragon Age 3 - E3 2013 Trailer and 2014 Release

but DA series is so much inferior compared to ME series (and that is including the absolute wtf ending of ME3).

I don't know about that. I mean it's obviously subjective, but I don't see ME really being superior to DA. I think for most people it's going to boil down to which setting they prefer.

For me they're similar in that I loved the first game of each series but was disappointed by the second. Although I'll admit that feeling of disappointment was greater with DA2.

If I had to choose between DA: Origins and ME1 though...it would be extremely close.

It's one of those rare moments where I completely agree with JDR :)

I'd probably pick ME - personally - but not because it's better. I just adore sci-fi and it's so rare to get a good example of it in games.

In terms of gameplay - I'd say DA is quite a bit better, but gameplay isn't everything.

I'd pick ME for the same reason - there's a ton of good fantasy out there competing with DA, but ME is virtually alone as a major sci-fi RPG series. That being said, DA: O and DA: A were amazing. They nailed it and then some. If DA3 is as good as that, I'd say DA vs ME is a very close race, despite the sci-fi advantage ME has.

Ofcourse it's totally subjective and boils down to personal taste. But for me, the more I play DA series, the more I dislike it. DA:A was the only one that I actually really enjoyed. You guys have a point though - maybe DA seems inferior to me because of BG series which set the bars too high for fantasy games, whereas ME was the first sci-fi game I ever played.

Even with as bad as DA2 was I'd pick DA series over ME. Mainly because DA feels like an RPG to me whereas ME just feels like a 3rd person cover shooter in which case I'd rather play spec ops: the line.

Also I'm not a fan of sci-fi and I never seem to get tired of fantasy settings.

Yeah put me under the "meh" group as well. That really wasn't revealing anything - nothing about the story (we all know there's going to be a big war, so boo), whether those characters will return and play major role (Morrigan, Varric and Cassandra). Just like ME series, most likely I will play this one just to finish the trilogy, but DA series is so much inferior compared to ME series (and that is including the absolute wtf ending of ME3).

The Story is not the war you are expecting. It's not about the Mages vs Templars, or the Orlesian civil war or the Elven rebellion (all these are happening at the same time and all in Orlais). Official website says: Lead the Inquisition and hunt the agent of chaos while dragons are bringing a reign of terror.

What you see in the trailer was hinted at in DA2 through Sandal: One day the magic will come back. All of it. Everyone will be just like they were. The shadows will part, and the skies will open wide. When he rises, everyone will see...

And the bit about dragons happened before going by the Silent Grove comic revelations. One of Flemeth's daughters mention "A world before the Veil, when dragons ruled the skies". She also hates dragon hunters, which bring us to...

Cassandra (<= dragon hunter among other things), she is unofficially "confirmed" as a companion since the follower's customization blog. She's even wearing an armor shown in that blog. Varric is probably a companion too. I suspect Morrigan is just there to manipulate the PC. The Qunari might be The Iron Bull companion that was mentioned in the leak last year.

Morrigan doesn't really sound like her to me (something just sound different, could it be Flemeth?) If there's one thing that really interests me in DA series, it's the connection between Flemeth and Morrigan. Really wishing that we will get some story based on those 2 in DA3.

The "I've seen more" sound totally like Flemeth (aka Kate Mulgrew's voice), but the remaining is without a doubt Claudia Black's voice. It might be good mimicking or they really merged two sound bit together...

Do you guys really place ME on the same tier as DA:O? I've tried TWICE to simply start the first Mass Effect but I quickly grew bored in the very first mission. It had corridor gameplay as well as none of the (albeit minor) tactical feel of DA:O.

To echo saki's thoughts, ME just felt like a 3rd person cover shooter.

Like DArtagnan said - not in terms of gameplay. It's a matter of sci-fi RPGs being about as rare as water in the desert. It's a real treasure when you find it.

I (always) want(ed) to marry "Aeryn Sun", but am not sure I want to play this game. Yet.

Any hints will "Catherine Janeway" also (re)appear in DA3?

I'm fairly certain of it as Flemeth no doubt will be the main baddie in this game. They went out of their way to put her in DA2 which really had nothing to do with the first one. She is the puppet master.

Even with as bad as DA2 was I'd pick DA series over ME. Mainly because DA feels like an RPG to me whereas ME just feels like a 3rd person cover shooter in which case I'd rather play spec ops: the line.

To me, both DA2 and ME occupy that fuzzy gray region between PC CRPGs and console shooter games. They both had their enjoyable elements, but the very limited choice in character development, equipment, interaction, and team tactics significantly detracted from their role-playing aspects.

I wonder about DA3… Apparently EA wants to change its image: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22801311 . I'm not holding my breath but maybe DA3 will be benefit from this process?

They already did, EA gave them another year to finish the game. Considering that they were already in crunch time to hit the original end of year deadline since last month (couple of tweets to this effect), I guess they will slow it down now and be able to add stuff they wanted to do but couldn't because of the deadline.

Unfortunately, it also mean we get like another 10 months to wait for more information. Well, maybe not that long, but we won't get any gameplay information until they are ready to show it.

I don't think I'll buy any Dragon Age game anymore … I just don't like its setting and everything anymore - and how I felt treated by the makers.

No, it's a personal thing. A matter of taste and of impression.

It's not a matter of technical implementation or artistic work.

It's solely a matter of taste and of the impression I got from it.

I liked most of what I played from DAO, but at one point I just couldn't do it anymore.

One of the most expected games. Bioware is a trend setter.

They already did, EA gave them another year to finish the game. Considering that they were already in crunch time to hit the original end of year deadline since last month (couple of tweets to this effect), I guess they will slow it down now and be able to add stuff they wanted to do but couldn't because of the deadline.

Link? That's great news, if true. That was a major factor in the DA2 debacle with reused maps, etc.

Link? That's great news, if true. That was a major factor in the DA2 debacle with reused maps, etc.

The official release date as of last month was late 2013 (as per Mike Laidlaw's tweets). The official teaser trailer now says Fall 2014 at the end.

DAI have been longer in dev than DAII already.

I find the extra year a bit strange though. It's too long for technical issues, too soon for polish concerns and Mike was confident of making the original dead line. I get the feeling BioWare asked for a few months more, but EA wants the game to release close to Xmas, so they go a whole year. It won't be wasted (and we might get a dual wielding Warrior now!).

The official release date as of last month was late 2013 (as per Mike Laidlaw's tweets). The official teaser trailer now says Fall 2014 at the end.

DAI have been longer in dev than DAII already.

I find the extra year a bit strange though. It's too long for technical issues, too soon for polish concerns and Mike was confident of making the original dead line. I get the feeling BioWare asked for a few months more, but EA wants the game to release close to Xmas, so they go a whole year. It won't be wasted (and we might get a dual wielding Warrior now!).

I would think it would have something to do with the new consoles? Want to make sure it's one of the major new releases available to those, possibly in a deal with the manufacturers.

I would think it would have something to do with the new consoles? Want to make sure it's one of the major new releases available to those, possibly in a deal with the manufacturers.

The new consoles are supposed to release at the end of this year.

Back
Top Bottom