What are you reading?

Long overdue reading of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

…and regarding the off-topic discussion of hardcover vs paperback vs digital: I wish there were some way for some central database to verify you own a physical copy and automatically grant you digital rights to your book(s). Of course, that would make too much sense and eat into the profit margins of publishers.

Have to admit jumping off Game of Thrones for a bit - good book but very long and I wanted to read some other stuff.

Now reading Robopocalypse, which is somewhat like World War Z in style. Rough start but now going quite well, about half through.

Love the nook Touch more every day!

I'm currently reading two books:
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. This will be my 3rd Dostoyevsky, and if the quality of the previous two that I have read (Crime & Punishment and The Idiot) is anything to go by, this one should be quite an enjoyable read.
and
Anarchy, State and Utopia by Robert Nozick. One of the more influential books about political philosophy on this side of 1900, and while I don't expect to agree with everything in the book (his views are quite different from my own), it will at least be an interesting read. And it is always good to challenge ones ideas about how the world works.

Currently I'm browsing through Tokien's "Book Of Lost Tales", Parts 1 & 2 - serious stuff, and difficult to read, in my opinion, but if you REALLY want to know where Tolkiens Middle Earth stuff *reaklly* began, then this is a "must-have".

What struck me most was the poem about the "Cottage Of The Lost Play" :
http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/You_and_Me_/_and_the_Cottage_of_Lost_Play

I have the feeling as if this was once of the things that ingnited the whole things - apart from the star we know on *our* skies as the Venus (the planet), but which is Earendel in Middle Earth (in one way or another). http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Éalá_Éarendel_Engla_Beorhtast

Last edited:
1.The Forgotten Legion by Ben Kane
2.The Eskkar Saga by Sam Barone
3. The Viking Saga by Tim Severin.

All are historical fiction I have read recently, The first one is about a legion of criminals and how they change the world.The second is about the first empires of mankind. The third is about a viking as you follow his life all the way till he becomes king.

Currently I'm browsing through Tokien's "Book Of Lost Tales", Parts 1 & 2 - serious stuff, and difficult to read, in my opinion, but if you REALLY want to know where Tolkiens Middle Earth stuff *reaklly* began, then this is a "must-have".

What struck me most was the peopme about the "Cottage Of The Lost Play" :
http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/You_and_Me_/_and_the_Cottage_of_Lost_Play

I have the feeling as if this was once of the things that ingnited the whole things - apart from the star we know on *our* skies as the Venus (the planet), but which is Earendel in Middle Earth (in one way or another). http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Éalá_Éarendel_Engla_Beorhtast

Good reads compared with the History of Middle Earth - War of Ring books. There some great early stories in the BoLT, whereas some of the later ones in the series seem more like a dissection of the writing (and re-writing and re-writing and ...) process.

Well, I do plan to buy the rest of the "History Of Middle Earth" books, too.
But I agree : Most parts often read like a dissection and pure analysis of the whole writing process.

This can be very boresome for people who don't like this kind of stuff - but very satisfying for those who do. ;)

And it should be "poem" instead of "peopme " ;)

I still have a *long* way to go in the first four books …

And I just noticed that the Kindle edition is most expensive in the UK, as it seems they can understand the pounds to dollars difference for hardcover books, but it is 14.99 in either currency for the Kindle version. Idiots.

You still have couple of week :) Jokes aside you can't really "quick" read them.

Which hardcover-edition of a dance with dragons is better:

Bantam or HarperCollins ?

Which hardcover-edition of a dance with dragons is better:

Bantam or HarperCollins ?

In the US it seems only Bantam is available, and 'Harper Voyager' has the UK release ... I have no idea about overall quality of paper, binding, etc ... but then I tend just to care about the words ;)

"Win" by Frank I. Luntz. I heard "Kite Runner" is awesome!

I would like your help here. people.
I need a book for my summer vacations. I would like to be close to the spirit of Joe Abercrombie or Gemmell.
Any recomendations?
I have to buy it until tomorrow, so need to find it from a bookstore.
Thanks in advance and i'm sorry i don't have the time to surf the previus pages for tips

akarthis, I've actually never tried Abercrombie, but Gemmell is one of my favorites. I'd wildly, loudly, and repeatedly recommend:
Patrick Rothfuss, "The Name of the Wind"
(book 2 in the series just came out in hardback)

Although it's not quite as good of a match, you might consider the Black Company series from Glen Cook.

Re-reading Le Guin's Earthsea Quartet after about 20 years - loving it! I didn't really appreciate good prose when I was a teen. I found when I re-raed LOTR, Silmarillion etc, years later I enjoyed them even more.

Also reading "How the mind works" by Steve Pinker - interesting stuff about computational models of the brain…kind of heavy going. Not sure how current it is - was published some time ago now.

Back
Top Bottom