Things you don't need to know...

With my pink spy glasses I can see that you can actually do mathematics - who had thought it! ;)

Attachments

• PinkSpy.png
    PinkSpy.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 111
With my pink spy glasses I can see that you can actually do mathematics - who had thought it! ;)
Oy, X, I understand when looking through rose-colored glasses one tends to have an optimistic perception, to avoid any unwelcome parts of reality, and I understand start and end, alpha and omega, head and toe, can be easily mistaken when one's a smurf, even a top hat smurf, but I have to free you from the illusion: my head - and brain - is not small, you're simply staring at my tiny toe! ;)

You tricked my little buddy Spy Smurf

attachment.php

with nail tricks

attachment.php

so I have to cast

Omega to Alpha,
Woman to Smurf,
how big will she be?
we will see!

1. Little
  2. Medium
  3. Big

:cool:

Attachments

• Spy_Smurf.jpg
    Spy_Smurf.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 197
  • smurfs_nails_art.jpg
    smurfs_nails_art.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 198
  • LittleSmurf.jpg
    LittleSmurf.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 49
  • MiddleSmurf.jpg
    MiddleSmurf.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 10
  • GreatSmurf.jpg
    GreatSmurf.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 7
More names, this time funny (most of them progressive rock) band names:

• A Clean Kitchen is a Happy Kitchen
  • And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead
  • Antique Seeking Nuns
  • Assemble Head in Sunburst Sound
  • Beast Please Be Still
  • Caligula's Horse
  • Clay Green's Polysorbate Masquerade Band
  • Contemporary Dead Finnish Music Ensemble
  • Hazards of Swimming Naked
  • Pibbur Tells a Lie

And especially for our ninja: Don't Mess with Texas

pibbur who at the moment of writing is listening to The Future Kings of England

HAN:

– Pray tell, what shall the cargo be?

OBI-WAN:

– Myself, the boy, two droids, and ne’re a question ask’d.

HAN:

– ‘Tis what, a touch of local trouble here?

OBI-WAN:

– Nay, let us simply say it thus: we would Imperial entanglements avoid

HAN:

– Aye, there’s the rub, so shalt though further pay. Ten thousand is the cost, and ev’ry bit shalt though deliver ere we leave the dock.

LUKE:

– Ten thousand? Fie! We could our own ship buy For such a sum as this.

HAN:

– A goodly jest! For who should pilot such a ship – shouldst thou?

LUKE:

– Thou knave, I could indeed! . . .

From "William Shakespeare’s Star Wars, Verily, A New Hope" by Ian Doescher

Pibbur who finds it proper at this very moment etc. to repeat a previously used sig.:

"Luce, pater tuus sum".
"Minime!"

More names, this time funny (most of them progressive rock) band names:

• A Clean Kitchen is a Happy Kitchen
  • And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead
  • Antique Seeking Nuns
  • Assemble Head in Sunburst Sound
  • Beast Please Be Still
  • Caligula's Horse
  • Clay Green's Polysorbate Masquerade Band
  • Contemporary Dead Finnish Music Ensemble
  • Hazards of Swimming Naked
  • Pibbur Tells a Lie

And especially for our ninja: Don't Mess with Texas

pibbur who at the moment of writing is listening to The Future Kings of England
You don't have to get overly obscure to find crazy band names (and Trail isn't exactly obscure). Off the top of my head:
Toad the Wet Sprocket
Death Cab for Cutie
Aztec Camera
Kitchens of Distinction

Not decided where to go for your summer vacation? Lufthansa recommends this:

lufthansa-uYhkSj7JN1.jpg

Kr=NOK.

pibbur who will go by train to Bergen several times this summer.

Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook? Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook? Ook.
Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook? Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook?
Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook? Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook.
Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook? Ook. Ook! Ook.
Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook? Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook.
Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook? Ook. Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook.
Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
Ook! Ook. Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook.
Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook!
Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook.

pibbur who can't vouch for the accuracy of this, and who may explain what this is about tomorrow. Unless someone beats him to it.

Last edited:
As you probably guessed, the text cited in my previous post was the source code for the "Hello world" program written in the programming language "Ook". Ook is an example of a so-called "esoteric" programming langue, and is based on "brainfuck" (or "brainf*** if you prefer that), which basically moves a pointer up and down an array of memorycells, incrementing or decrementing the value in the cell under the pointer. Read all about Ook here: http://esolangs.org/wiki/Ook

The wiki itself contain hundreds and hundreds of similar languages.

I'm especially fascinated by "PI", where the source code is based on the number, and the commands are written into it as single digit errors. Here's "Hello world" written in PI:

3.14159265358979323842264332327250288412716939927513582397492459230721640628220899867803480534311206298214838653322233664709084463955358323172235940832848311725028410370193853110525964460294895293032196422880097562591344612147514823378178346528120090214562856642346134861345532264821332360736034914137372428700663631558417448152392396222925459170536432789259026051133013014882046252138214295194153160243205227036275959395309212613732192261379310211855807440237946274952735182575273489122743848301134912983467436444065634308652133494633522473749030217386093370277033921317659317670238267581846066440

pibbur who claims the first command is an erroneous '6' in position 21 (after the '.'). the start of a loop. In the true spirit of mathematics, the rest is left as an "excercise for the reader".

Is Ook based on Terry Pratchett ?

More peculiar (prog) rock band names:

• I Am Above on the Left
  • Jade Warrior
  • June Cleaver And The Steak Knives
  • Machine And The Synergetic Nuts
  • Meanwhile Back In Communist Russia
  • Miasma And The Carousel Of Headless Horses'
  • Mittelwinternacht '71
  • Mother Mallard's Portable Masterpiece Co.
In addition we've got:
  • Kick the Cat - nope, don't think so. AND I WON'T BUY ANY OF YOUR ALBUMS! Which is OK as I can't find them anywhere.
  • Manic Depressive Psychosis - an armenian band with a not particulary strange name. I mention them only to make it clear that they're not related to another armenian band: System of a Down (the manic part, that is)
  • I Like Trains - yes very much, thank you. Even better: I like I like trains. Bought two of their albums.
12 points go to
Kammerflimmer Kollektief. Perhaps not - the name of this german band translates ATW (According To Wikipedia) to ventricular fibrillation. Unlike fibrillation of the atria, this is immediately quite deadly.

pibbur who in his music library has a band called Division By Zero. And who after listening to them just now is not entirely sure why.

Last edited:
Dale Irby who wore the same outfit again and again and … and again

The 1746 map of London which was considered "one of the greatest and most handsome plans of any city". Unlike the city itself.

Shipa Shetty (pictured) who is a Bollywood actress. And who had dubious interests in sports. This is cricket. Who knows if this isn't how it's supposed to be?

shilpa-shetty-89a.jpg

NazgulHorse.jpg

The theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what cricket is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

The theory which states that this has already happened.

pibbur

Last edited:
From Wikipedia: "Leg before wicket (lbw) is one of the ways in which a batsman can be dismissed in the sport of cricket. The umpire may rule a batsman out lbw if the ball would have struck the wicket but was intercepted by any part of the batsman except his bat. The umpire's decision, however, will depend on a number of criteria, including where the ball pitched, whether the ball hit in line with the wickets and whether the batsman was offering a shot. Lbw first appeared in the laws in 1774, as batsmen began to use their pads to prevent the ball hitting their wicket. Since the 1990s, the availability of television replays and, later, ball-tracking technology to assist umpires has increased the percentage of lbws in major matches. However, the accuracy of the technology and the consequences of its use remain controversial. Owing to its complexity, the law is widely misunderstood among the general public and wrong lbw decisions have sometimes caused crowd trouble. Since the law's introduction, the proportion of lbw dismissals has risen steadily. Statistics reveal that the probability of a batsman being dismissed lbw in a Test match varies depending on where the match is played and which teams are playing."

It's cricket.

Pibbur who nudges and nudges and refuses to say anything at the moment.

If Pibbur ever comes to Oz, we might 'encourage' him to watch a game of Cricket as part of his punis....er education!! :)

If Pibbur ever comes to Oz, we might 'encourage' him to watch a game of Cricket as part of his punis….er education!! :)

Seems like an offer I can't refuse.

pibbur who actually may go down under next year. No promises (or no threats depending on your POV).

A site "answering your hypothetical questions with physics, every Tuesday"…

Last Tuesday the question was about:

Drain the Oceans
How quickly would the ocean's drain if a circular portal 10 meters in radius leading into space was created at the bottom of Challenger Deep, the deepest spot in the ocean? How would the Earth change as the water is being drained? –Ted M.
(…)
What happens to the Earth? Not much. It would actually take hundreds of thousands of years for the ocean to drain. (…) When you started, the water level would drop by less than a centimeter per day. There wouldn't even be a cool whirlpool at the surface—the opening is too small and the ocean is too deep. [3] (It's the same reason you don't get a whirlpool in the bathtub until the water is more than halfway drained.)
(…)
Let's take a look at how the map would change.
(…)
And after 2000 years of trying to hold back the sea, the Netherlands are finally high and dry. No longer living with the constant threat of a cataclysmic flood, they're free to turn their energies toward outward expansion. They immediately spread out and claim the newly-exposed land.

The author of this American site shows images of the world map after the oceans drop 50 meter, 100 meters, 200, 500, 1 kilometer, 2 kilometers, 3, 5 kilometers, and when drained.

This is what the map looks like when the drain finally empties. There's a surprising amount of water left,although much of it consists of very shallow seas, with a few trenches where the water is as deep as four or five kilometers.

Vacuuming up half the oceans would massively alter the climate and ecosystems in ways that are hard to predict. At the very least, it would almost certainly involve a collapse of the biosphere and mass extinctions at every level.

But it's possible—if unlikely—that humans could manage to survive. If we did, we'd have this to look forward to:

What if - the world would be a better place. ;)

Back
Top Bottom