ES4: Oblivion - Nehrim Released in English

But is it certain that Bethesda doesn't legally have the intellectual rights of any mod for their games?

Well … I doubt about the concept of the whole world. What would they do with it anyway ?

But yes, I know that early in the beginning the lawyers - so I was told - had made up a kind of EULA ffor NWN which automatically transferred everything into being property of Bioware that was made with the editor.

The story goes that "after an outcry of the community" this was changed.

But in principle, ANY editor could be seen as a cost-free wayfor companies to get IP for free, whithout having to pay anything for that, and to exploit it at will.

Which means I'm careful with that.

Played it yesterday for a few hours. I'm playing a stealthy thief with a bow. I'm having a lots of fun. The first dungeon is really good, better than Oblivion starting dungeon, especially the "mood". The game does "trap" you for a while in the beginning, but it's more like a disguised tutorial without pop-ups.

Some random thoughts:
  • Environmental design is really good.
  • Nehrim use a Gothic-like skill system, I think I prefer this over Oblivion class system.
  • You get "xp" for killing stuff, doing quest and finding places.
  • Lots of tools have a purpose now: crafting, digging treasures, etc. You can be a grave-robber!
  • 10 minutes Autosave integrated.
  • Main story seems interesting for now. So far quests are also more "interactive" than just "hit this until it die".
  • Loots is nice too, once you move away from the starting area and explore a bit. It seems to be mostly hand placed too. I found spell runes (use to learn spell), "enchanting stones" (kind of like sigil stone), scrolls, magical armor set, etc.

Issues:
First time playing, I didn't have problem, but when I restarted the game later I got something like 3 crashes: usually when I open or close a container, book or inventory. I suspect the autosave feature for now.

Some notes aren't translated, on the official forums a poster said that they only translated the quest related text and the rest will follow later. They still translated quite a few books, I suggest new players read them they give lots of background information about the game world.

I'm going to slowly reintroduce some of the Oblivion mods to see what works and what doesn't. Just little things, for the most part. The devs mentioned that the body mods and such should be fine and vanilla Oblivion's are kinda ugly compared to HGEC's. It'd be great if the herbalism mod worked, but I doubt it. If it's popular enough, folks will make compatibility mods where possible.

The annoying part is not that they don't get paid for their work - it's that Bethesda does.
— and the more notice they get, the more Bethesda benefits…

I'm sure they'll accept your money, if you send them :)

In any case, some people might actually enjoy the creative process - and perhaps money isn't the reason they're doing this?

As I said, they'll get noticed by having done this mod - so it will eventually pay off, if that's what they want from it.

I have no doubt of that.

The annoying part is not that they don't get paid for their work - it's that Bethesda does.
— and the more notice they get, the more Bethesda benefits…

who cares? If it even turns out to be half-decent, why not download it for a free RPG that's similar in look to Oblivion? I haven't played Oblivion in years, but would't mind going back, but it would have to be a different story - which this is. Especially if you already have a copy Oblivion and haven't played it in a while, why not?

To me Oblivions graphics was ahead of it's time and even now its still pleasing to the eye. I'd like to capture that feeling again that I had the first time I played Oblivion and was in RPG heaven! I'll check it out…

Last edited:
Amazing how that DVD still got some uses.

I never thought I'd install Oblivion again but I might do it to try this one out.Sounds good enough.

What an aweseom surprise. Never even heard of this.

Could someone who downloaded this please tell me what the file name of the installer is, and its extension. The file that I downloaded was named "Nehrim_v1.0.7.5_english[1]", and I have no idea what its proper name should be. Thank you.

Could someone who downloaded this please tell me what the file name of the installer is, and its extension. The file that I downloaded was named "Nehrim_v1.0.7.5_english[1]", and I have no idea what its proper name should be. Thank you.

Nehrim_v1.0.7.5_english.exe

Make sure it's 1.60 GB too.

Meh…. please tell me that can be disabled.

It can be disabled.

Personally, I'll rather try looking for a magazine's DVD - maybe I'm lucky and they put it on it. ;)

I really appreciate Germans' dedication to role playing games. They even added voice acting to the mod. I downloaded Nehrim and definitely will play it.

It says in the EULA for Oblivion that Bethesda owns the rights to what is made in the editor. They don't own the scripts, resources, concept, or writing/story elements. They wouldn't be able to use the mod without permission since that would violate your IP. It is mainly there to stop people from selling mods.

It says in the EULA for Oblivion that Bethesda owns the rights to what is made in the editor. They don't own the scripts, resources, concept, or writing/story elements. They wouldn't be able to use the mod without permission since that would violate your IP. It is mainly there to stop people from selling mods.

You wonder if Bethesda should'nt have made an offer to these guys though. Like what Valve did for CS and DOD. Of course then all the hardcore RPGers would probably hate on it, since it would be a Bethesda game :)

After playing it for something like 10 hours i can say the "mod/game" is pretty neat.

On the forums it says it uses Qarl textures, but i believe the ones included are inferior to the Quarl texture pack 3.

The graphics are nice, but i'm sure my modded oblivion had better, and the main culprit seems to be Quarl texture pack3, dunno if anyone can confirm this just for me to be 100% sure. If true, i'm going to try and install QTP3 over Nehrim to check out how that works.

All in all, my heavy modded oblivion already had most of the nehrim features, like XP leveling, better inventory, better maps, better facial textures, better water, better environments, better sunrays, places drasticaly improved and handcrafted, etc.

The main thing that realy makes this "60 hour mod" into a diferent category was the work put into creating a completely diferent story from start to finish and this is going out realy well so far.

Negatives/things i would change to improve:

- Some texts are still in german, impacting on immersion factor
- Voice-overs are all in german. Dialogs are just fine but they could include the NPCs "battle-crys" in english. It feels weird while we are in a battle and we have someone yell something back at us in german.
- They could include some other mods in the "starting pack" like for example the harvest flora/containers.

All in all, having a great fun so far!

After playing it for something like 10 hours i can say the "mod/game" is pretty neat.

On the forums it says it uses Qarl textures, but i believe the ones included are inferior to the Quarl texture pack 3.

The graphics are nice, but i'm sure my modded oblivion had better, and the main culprit seems to be Quarl texture pack3, dunno if anyone can confirm this just for me to be 100% sure. If true, i'm going to try and install QTP3 over Nehrim to check out how that works.

Ive also played around 10 hours now. Its been years since I played Oblivion, ana about 1 1/2 since I even played fallout 3. Its surprisingly good. Its obvious that they put in A LOT of time and took it quite serious. This is a serious mod and it shows. I think this just might be my game to play for the next few weeks until New Vegas comes out, then I'll probably put it away and never touch it again... It's worth the download if you are a fan. Overall, the German isnt really that bad. Roleplay that you are in a different land with adifferent language!

It also just wasnt possible for them to remake the entire voiceovers in english they had professional german voice actors normally working for tv and movies and recorded everything at a professional sound studio in Berlin the voice actors and the studio all worked for free on this mod.

Back
Top Bottom