Elder Scrolls Online?

Ah, but that's the trick, isn't it? Too many of these games want to be WoW-killers, or at least aim way too high (1M+ subs -- like Vanguard). If you cost to break even at 100k-150k and make a nice profit at 200k, that should be easy for a quality TES MMO.

I´ve had a discussion with a developer some time ago. He explained the reason for the 100+ MMOs in development everywhere like this:
It´s hard to get international distribution for a SP game by a small developer. It´s not harder for an MMO by the same small developer, but the potential revenue is much higher. MMO middleware is getting more mature, the technology for generated content also gets better. Maintaining an existing MMO can be done with a small team, even with 2 or 3 people if you only want to maintain the status quo and fix a few bugs here and there.
If such a small MMO, which is scaled for let´s say 100k full price sales worldwide and 20k subscribers, hits big time and moves 500k / 100k subs, they will be printing money for years. And even if not - 10k * 10$ are 100k$ per month. That´s a nice income for a small studio, if they break even with retail sales.

I'm finding it difficult to wrap my mind around this kind of a TES game. If it follows traditional MMO designs, this is a game where you would not be able to...
* join every single guild
* become guild master at 1st level
* abuse potions
* abuse enchantment
* kill a 20th-level golden saint in one hit with a 1st-level PC

On the other hand, you'd still be able to create a ninja/cartographer/herbalist who levels up by bunny-hopping across the countryside picking flowers.

Would you be able to create a pacifist/diplomat/alchemist who never leaves town, never kills anything, and still levels up? That would certainly be a change of pace from other MMOs, where all too often, the only career path available is that of leveled-rat-farmer.

What cruel irony it is, that they might finally create a TES game with a balanced rule system, only to make an MMO -- a genre I would never consider playing.

What cruel irony it is, that they might finally create a TES game with a balanced rule system, only to make an MMO -- a genre I would never consider playing.

I was cracking up at that one!

Yes, I suppose that many people would feel that way, but perhaps this would be the type of game that could change your mind?

I purrsonally am not averse to MMO's in the way that I have no desire for online community (with all the pros and cons that come with it) I'm mostly against spending such a massive amount of time playing something. Theyre absolute relationship destroyers! When it comes to the decision between online and offline friends and lovers, there is no choice unless I am left with no choice. If I have any friends in an online game, I can pretty much bet that I'm going to be sinking huge time into the game!

I think that a TES game online would probably send me into MMO monkhood for a couple months tho.

I cracked up at your post too, Stanza (and also xSamhainx's "purrsonally"). Bethesda would have to make some big changes, otherwise everyone would end up building the same character.

If they based the game on what was good about the Daggerfall model, I would sign up for it. The witch covens meeting in secret places on significant days, the reputation system (fixed and elaborated upon), the political and pragmatic competition and intrigue, etc.

They should avoid Morrowind's weirdness, IMO (sorry fans) by leaving out all the disease, hatred (well, most of the hatred) and the insect-inspired architecture and craftsmanship. But they should emulate some of its other stuff: Slavery, impending or ongoing war(s), and its sense of legacy.

Can Bethesda build a high-quality RPG? After Arena they've all been released buggy as far as I can tell. An MMO may be beyond their ability, honestly.

Zenimax has reserved quite a few dominas, I believe, and not all of them have materialized as games if I recalll correctly. Still, if you consider that for years the "make it online" posts have been rampant on the forums, it would be no surprise if they give it a shot. Given the success of Oblivion, theyd have to fail pretty badly to loose money on this.
Personally I am simnply not interested. I always thought that TES could be great as a coop game, but an MMORPG? Not really likely it would have the charm I am looking for in a TES game ( and that Oblivion had already mostly lost).

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it was a reference to Vitalia rather than something Freudian.

But if that means Bethsoft is trying to buy the rights to Wiz9, I shall be mighty irked.

Back
Top Bottom