Anachronox - Retrospective @Armchair Empire Infinite

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Jeff let us know he has posted a retrospective on Ion Storm's RPG classic Anachronox on his gaming blog The Armchair Empire Infinite. It seems his blog is the re-invention of the well-known similarly named gaming site.

Really, Anachronox was a breath of fresh air when so many other RPGs coming out on PC were being so serious, and singularly focused in what kind of gameplay they wanted. Granted a lot of those games were great, but with Ion Storm's project it got people thinking, "Hey, this works too!" Unfortunately, we didn't see others trying to follow suit here. As such, Anachronox will go down as an unique and largely successful attempt at combining a large cast of characters and a vast array of gameplay elements that one might think would never work together, then actually succeeds in bringing them all together. It was a great game when it came out, still is now, and should be applauded for how ambitious it is.
More information.

I really love what they tried to do with Anachronox event if the Chrono Trigger/FF style of combat was a bit badly handled. Still waiting on that sequel...

Day of the X:

AnachronoX review
AterduX releases Legend of Eisenwald
EleX is revealed

HiddenX drinks a beer...

Sadly it ended with the promise of new bigger adventure that we will never be able to play. Shame, as if I remmeber correctly, Anachronox was suppose to be trilogy. So very much underrated game - like Archimedean Dynasty.

I really love what they tried to do with Anachronox event if the Chrono Trigger/FF style of combat was a bit badly handled. Still waiting on that sequel…

Yep. Anachronox was such a lovely game. It had heart and charm and wit! Such glorious memories! It is the often forgotten other awesome thing Ion Storm gave us.

And the game holds up very well today, even! Just make sure you get the unofficial patch by an ex-developer that adds fast forward for the boring combat stuff.

Back
Top Bottom