Name that game!

You guys obviously haven't played the REAL ultimate mech game:

Attachments

• test3.png
    test3.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 54
That looks like the free or indie mech game I've seen around somewhere. I'm going to wait and see if anyone else knows this one before I cheat and google it.:biggrin:

Hint: it's NOT Titans of Steel - which was supposed to be a kind of spiritual sequel to the game in the shot.

Hm, it probably didn't have bioderms, so it can't be the ultimate mecha game :p.

Gotta agree with Jaz. If it doesn't have derms then it's not the ultimate mecha game :)

Since no one has guessed that game I'll give it another shot (I cheated this time ;))

Is it mechwar?

Gotta agree with Jaz. If it doesn't have derms then it's not the ultimate mecha game :)

Since no one has guessed that game I'll give it another shot (I cheated this time ;))

Is it mechwar?

Nope it's not.

It's an Amiga game - and yes it IS the ultimate mech game. It's directly based on the BattleTech rules and is the most complete simulation of mech combat. Also, it had full character/mech customisation with more detail than anything before or since then :)

It was fantastic!

I just want to know what the hell a "bioderm" is....
In several of the Earthsiege games, you fight against Cybrids - basically autopilots that rebelled against their treatment by their human masters. Because some worlds posessed a rather harsh environment, humans decided not to risk their own lives, so they developed bioderms (or 'derms), fast-cloned, short-lived, imperfect but tough workers and later soldiers. In the Cybrid wars, they used 'derms as soldiers. This is the case in Cyberstorm... you as the troop commander can create pilot 'derms by the press of the button. They are your slaves: you name them, you decide to treat them or not if they were 'damaged' in battle. They become genetically unstable ~ old after a while and then die, and if you run out of money, you can recycle them. This is just another press of the button.
I didn't even think of recycling my trusty old derms; no, put them in cryostasis until hubby made fun of me: 'You don't dare to, you don't dare to, you're a wuss...'
Then I couldn't help it. I did recycle one of them. And I will never forget the guy's scream... dang, I'm traumatized now! What have I done?
Seriously, if you read all the mission briefings and the story bits in between missions, you'll soon discover that bioderms are neither moronic nor things, no matter how they look. And obviously, humans never learn: the 'derms later rebelled as well (namely at the times of Tribes 2), and they decided to breed out most human genes because they despised their former masters. This is why Tribes 'derms look more like animals or the single feraderm in Cyberstorm, while Cyberstorm 'derms were basically human...

See some 3rd generation Cyberstorm bioderms and a Tribes 2 bioderm model:

Attachments

• bioderms.jpg
    bioderms.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 38
  • t2bioderm.jpg
    t2bioderm.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 36
Sounds pretty cool Jaz. Was there any connection between the Earthsiege and Cyberstorm games? Also, why was Cyberstorm 2 not considered to be as good?

Earthsiege (1st person mecha action), Cyberstorm (bird view tac/strategy) and Tribes (multipayer FPS) all share the same background and history. There is one common timeline for all games.
Cyberstorm 2 dropped everything that had made the first game so good: the cool HERC bay and base animations, the story, the well-balanced difficulty. Hardly anything in that game made sense, and it was way too difficult.

Cyberstorm 2 dropped everything that had made the first game so good: the cool HERC bay and base animations, the story, the well-balanced difficulty. Hardly anything in that game made sense, and it was way too difficult.

All that and one more thing that drove me nuts. It took a calculating strategy game and turned it into real-time mess(Cyberstorm was TB).

It just didn't make sense. The first one was perfect in everyway. Original and fun, but they jumped on the RTS band wagon and ruined everything that made it great.

@DA

I FOUND IT. Took me forever. Is it Mechforce

Never played any games on the Amiga. I grew up with the C64.

The reviews for it are great, but they all have one thing in common. You have to be a serious mech fan. Tons of statistics. Sounds like my kind of game. Too bad this didn't come out for the C64 or Dos.

However, there are still no derms within the game. So it can never be the ultimate. ;)

All that and one more thing that drove me nuts. It took a calculating strategy game and turned it into real-time mess(Cyberstorm was TB).

Didn't it include an option for either style? At least that's what the description says.

The reviews for it are great, but they all have one thing in common. You have to be a serious mech fan. Tons of statistics. Sounds like my kind of game. Too bad this didn't come out for the C64 or Dos.

Just use an emulator if you want to play it.

@ JDR13: Yes, it did. Cyberstorm 2 was just plain unplayable in RT; every mission was like 'start - trrrrrtrrrrrtrrrrr- you're dead'. In TB mode, it was just as unplayable, but death was delayed: 'start - move - trrrrrtrrrrrtrrrrr - you're dead'.

I just tried the demo for Cyberstorm 2 (couldn't find a demo for Cyberstorm) but it wouldn't run at the correct speed on my system. It installed and started just fine, but the battle mode moved so fast that I couldn't tell what was happening.

Have you ever played any of the Front Mission games for Playstation 1/2?

@ JDR13: Yes, it did. Cyberstorm 2 was just plain unplayable in RT; every mission was like 'start - trrrrrtrrrrrtrrrrr- you're dead'. In TB mode, it was just as unplayable, but death was delayed: 'start - move - trrrrrtrrrrrtrrrrr - you're dead'.

That was about the jist of it. I didn't even remember that you could switch it to TB. I think I played it for 2 days and gave up in frustration. Oh well, at least I still have the first Cyberstorm CD around here somewhere. I still pop that one in every now and then.

@JDR I meant too bad it wasn't available for the C64 when I was growing up. I would of grabbed that one in a sec :)

I'll try that one DA is talking about a little later once I learn the name :D.

(...) but it wouldn't run at the correct speed on my system. It installed and started just fine, but the battle mode moved so fast that I couldn't tell what was happening.
Don't blame your computer... that's pretty much the way the game worked.
Have you ever played any of the Front Mission games for Playstation 1/2?
No. Are they good? :)

Here's another obscure game I played during my gaming renaissance period:

Attachments

• gamex1.png
    gamex1.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 32
@jaz: depth dwellers - I just mentioned it in another thread to show that there were 3D-games a long time ago - I have the disk and the red-cyan-glasses just before me on on my desk.

@bkrueger: So you were the other guy who bought Depth Dwellers :).
Okay, so here are two other games I played back in the days (right, my favorite genre back then):

Attachments

• gamex3.gif
    gamex3.gif
    19.6 KB · Views: 24
  • gamex2.png
    gamex2.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 18
@DA

I FOUND IT. Took me forever. Is it Mechforce

Never played any games on the Amiga. I grew up with the C64.

However, there are still no derms within the game. So it can never be the ultimate. ;)

Once you've designed your own mech and created your pilot from the ground-up, you'll realise that derms is but a drop in the sea of inferiority that Cyberstorm represents when compared to MechForce!!!

;)

Back
Top Bottom