Game Search - RPG like Shining Force/Ogre Tactics OR Game with Ninja/Samurai

phantagor

Traveler
So...hi there everyone!

After playing a lot of shogun total war 2, shining force 1 and 2 and now the last remnant i have the strong urge to find a game, which combines some of the things present in these games...

As the title suggest, i am looking for any game which has ether a ninja or samurai class (or equipment in it) which is party-based (i always like the tactical aspect) like shining force (but i could be any partybased thing)

Its quite hard, i know...and i dont think there is any game out there, which has these things but i am still asking...

this for now, more if there are questions...

looking forward
thx in regards!

Check out Wizardry 8, it´s party based and features ninja and samurai classes, equipment included:

samuraiInv.jpg

And this game is also turn-based? the story is good? as far it looks acceptable^^

To get the obvious ones out of the way, here are a few popular/famous SRPGs (like Shining force & Tactics ogre):
Grotesque tactics (PC)
Fire emblem (series, GBA/GC/Wii/DS (+NES/SNES in Japan))
Final fantasy tactics (Series) (PS1, GBA, PSP)

I think Final fantasy tactics advance has ninjas, though I might be mixing things up. Fire emblem & Grotesque tactics are both classic fantasy games in a relatively western-style fantasy world. I'm a big fan of Fire emblem though, the games are challenging and forces you to actually take care of your soldiers.
Then there is always Ogre battle (one for SNES, one for N64, both can be downloaded on Wii virtual console), which is the series that spawned Tactics ogre. Those games are quite different from Tactics ogre, but there are both ninjas & samurais. The games focuses more on the strategic side of things than the tactical or RPG side, but there are RPG elements in it, including a rather clever use of an alignment system, plus character growth.

There was an old party based hack & slash game called Throne of darkness, which had ninjas & samurais (it was set in japan).

*edit* Also, some of the might & magic games have ninjas. I'm currently playing M&M 4-5, and there is a ninja class in that game, though it is just another name for a slightly more fighting focused thief.

And this game is also turn-based? the story is good? as far it looks acceptable^^

Yep, turn based. The story is decent imho. There are a few different factions you can side with, various choices you can make and multiple endings. You create your party and pick their alignments, personalities and voices. Some of the random party member comments can be quite colorful.

The battles can wear on a bit, but if you are used to tactical games that's probably not a deterrent for you.

It is a very early 3D game so don't expect wonderful graphics. The character portraits are 2D though and are rather nice.

Incidentally, at the time it was popular among some hardcore Wizardry players to play the game with a solo fairy ninja. I'm not making this up.

Hm, kk...im not quite sure about the perspective of wizardry 8 but i will give it a try...

Hm, kk…im not quite sure about the perspective of wizardry 8 but i will give it a try…

Well if you have a Playstation there's a new Wizardry with a JRPG art style that just came out on the Playstation Network. I haven't personally played it so I can't vouch for it, but I know it does include the standard Wizardry Ninja and Samurai classes.

http://www.wizardryps3.com/

Wizardry 8 is fantastic. The only negative is trying to find a copy.

Btw, you didn't mention what gaming platforms you own. Are you looking at PC titles only?

Nintendo 64, Mega Drive, some Game Boys but mostly PC Games..^^..

Back
Top Bottom