Fallout 3 - Dialogue Forum Tidbits

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A poster on the official forums asking about the impact of Intelligence in Fallout 3 dialogue elicited this response from Matt Grandstaff, quoting Emil:
We don't have full dialogue options for characters with low intelligence. That is to say, you cannot simply "Ughhh" and "Agghh" your way through dialogue. That said, there are some Intelligence-specific dialogue options in the game.
...and then Emil himself clarifies further:
Yeah, what Matt said.

I know you guys haven't seen a lot of dialogue, but I really don't think you'll be wanting for options in that regard. The dialogue trees are pretty detailed, and there are plenty of response options, including those that check for skills, perks, S.P.E.C.I.A.L. attributes, etc.

The one screenshot with dialogue that we did release -- shows a guy with a couple of "do you want to come with me" type of responses -- is actually an example of the smallest set of responses. The majority of NPCs have several more.

In general, what you can say depends on who the NPC is, all your combinations of stats and skills, events that have transpired, how you want to respond (different "attitudes" or "voices"), and more.
More information.

Weary as I am of Bethesdas (or anybodys) pre-release talk, that sounds remarkably good. If there is some consistency and actual consequences in that, as well as in the more branching quest design, FO3 could become more of an RPG than most AAA titles these days, shooter optics or not. At least in that respect it would carry on the legacy of Fallout.

Neither do I usually believe in pre-release talk and/or hype, but Emil seems like an honest, sincere guy and I am inclined to believe him. Let's just hope for the best. Actual dialogue options in a Beth game certainly wouldn't hurt, for a change.

What are you guys on about? There were dialogue options in Oblivion. Usually an NPC would ask for your help with a quest and you could reply:

1. Yes, I will help you.
2. No, I can't right now.

Maybe my memory is failing, but weren't quests usually just lumped onto your questlog without an option for turning down the offer?

Just when I was about to start and put an ounce of belief into this game, it turns out that the primary platform in terms of development is t3h Xcrap. Just wait for the next newsbit to read more about this...

I can say for sure that Bethseda doesn't have any interest listening to fans. They just want to earn money and that means going for the broad gaming public with average IQ of bacteria. I tried to post on their site a constructive critique about what was badly done in Oblivion (here is the link:
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=824695&hl=
but all i got as response was:
-use the mods
-make your own game
-its not feasible...

Dear god... they actualy believe they made a great game with Oblivion. It really wouldn't surprise me if they screw up Fallout big time. When they were left with no arguments they locked my topic with explanation my topic should be elsewhere...
The worst thing is that whenever you tried to type Oblivion sucks ... the text becomes Oblivion is the best game in the universe!!... So much for listening to fans. They are out there just for money and i am afraid that the gaming era when games as Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Fallout... were published are over.

Oh and about the dialogs... i think this is what we can expect:
fallout_3_by_bethesda_admiral_jimbob_rpgcodex.gif

:lol: great expectations...

Fool me once...

I felt fooled twice in 2006, with G3 and Oblivion, beeing both unsatisfied with them technical-wise and in terms of the actual game. The developers afterwards showed me how they **** on me by giving no or only limited support after release (talking of cheap X-Box-port).

We go into the next round, and I got a year-long rapidshare account, if you know what that means.

Call me a thief or an asshole. Maybe I am. But so are others...

PC-market is secondary for them anyway. They aim at the console-market. Ok.

Dear god... they actualy believe they made a great game with Oblivion.

They did.

I enjoyed Oblivion almost as much as Daggerfall. I'm so glad they actually listened to their fans and their criticisms of Morrowind, and fixed a lot of them for Oblivion. Why wouldn't they do the same for Fallout3?

They did.

I enjoyed Oblivion almost as much as Daggerfall. I'm so glad they actually listened to their fans and their criticisms of Morrowind, and fixed a lot of them for Oblivion. Why wouldn't they do the same for Fallout3?

Check the link:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=129

Less dialog options, even more bugs, broken leveling system, no diversity to the world? Story that is barely decent of some averege shooter? Persuasion minigame??? Characters without any charisma or personality? Quests like bring me 10 flowers (i can't believe they actually payed someone to come up with such a pearl)?? World that looks like a huge artificial bowl with one center city and few satalite towns around it? You call this an improvement? Or what about your temporary party members that start whacking eachother over the head while the enemies are attacking?? Or what about those Oblivion gates that all look the same?? And what about those farmers and robbers with super uber powerful armors and weapons, just because you are high level?? Really immersive...

Jesus Christ... I could go on for years like how in the nine hells does a merchant in Imperial City know I stole a bloody fork somewhere in some shack in the middle of nowhere? Broken quests? Less items, less magic, less weapons, less armors, less of everything??? Please... do not tell me Oblivion was an improvment when compared with Morrowind. The only thing that Oblivion does better is graphics and fighting, although even fighting sucks because of the broken level up system. Please... don't get me started on the Oblivion sucks subject...

Last edited:
General Warning: Any advocacy of Game Piracy will NOT be tolerated and site Admins, at their discretion, may BAN any such posters!!

General Warning: Any advocacy of Game Piracy will NOT be tolerated and site Admins, at their discretion, may BAN any such posters!!

Sorry. Wont happen again. But I had good points.

Check the link:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=129

Less dialog options, even more bugs, broken leveling system, no diversity to the world? Story that is barely decent of some averege shooter? Persuasion minigame??? Characters without any charisma or personality? Quests like bring me 10 flowers (i can't believe they actually payed someone to come up with such a pearl)?? World that looks like a huge artificial bowl with one center city and few satalite towns around it? You call this an improvement? Or what about your temporary party members that start whacking eachother over the head while the enemies are attacking?? Or what about those Oblivion gates that all look the same?? And what about those farmers and robbers with super uber powerful armors and weapons, just because you are high level?? Really immersive...

Jesus Christ... I could go on for years like how in the nine hells does a merchant in Imperial City know I stole a bloody fork somewhere in some shack in the middle of nowhere? Broken quests? Less items, less magic, less weapons, less armors, less of everything??? Please... do not tell me Oblivion was an improvment when compared with Morrowind. The only thing that Oblivion does better is graphics and fighting, although even fighting sucks because of the broken level up system. Please... don't get me started on the Oblivion sucks subject...

If you want to vent steam there is a thread dedicated to bitching and moaning about Oblivion here.

Meanwhile, please remember that YOU are entitled to YOUR opinion but that doesn't mean that the rest of the world has to agree with you. I played Morrowind for about 80-100 hours but was unable to finish it because I was virtually untouchable at that point even though I had explored no more than roughly 2/3 of the continent and had made almost no progress in the main quest. Oblivion, on the other hand, I completed and only afterwards did I realized that I had spent more than 300 hours on the game.

Does that make it the best game ever? No, but I sure as heck got a truckload of "bang" for my buck.

Mareus, I am well aware of the controversy about Oblivion (which dissapointed me, although I wouldn't actually call it bad - to me personally it it just concntrates on the wrong elements out of what constitutes TES games), and Fallout 3. But I do know that Oblivion Hype did not mention dialogue, choice and consequence, and branching much if at all. So there is some hope in that. Of course it could be the next Radiant AI, but time will tell.

I don't hate Oblivion, but the Radiant AI didn't seems quite radiant at all... if compared to Gothic 2 and the Witcher.

I don't hate Oblivion, but the Radiant AI didn't seems quite radiant at all... if compared to Gothic 2 and the Witcher.

That's exactly what I meant: RAI was a most overhyped feature that turned out nothing like promised. Let's hope its not so with dialogue for FO3.

If you want to vent steam there is a thread dedicated to bitching and moaning about Oblivion here.

Meanwhile, please remember that YOU are entitled to YOUR opinion but that doesn't mean that the rest of the world has to agree with you. I played Morrowind for about 80-100 hours but was unable to finish it because I was virtually untouchable at that point even though I had explored no more than roughly 2/3 of the continent and had made almost no progress in the main quest. Oblivion, on the other hand, I completed and only afterwards did I realized that I had spent more than 300 hours on the game.

Does that make it the best game ever? No, but I sure as heck got a truckload of "bang" for my buck.

Glad you enjoyed it. I sure couldn't. The game sucks and it's not my oppinion but facts.

Any mature person should know that.

I know some people enjoyed it. But if someone enjoys the game it doesn't mean its great. I presented the facts, and if you checked the link you would see those facts are argumented not only by words, but by pictures and lies that Bethseda was spreading. No one needs to agree with me, but the facts remain.

But enough about Oblivion. This is Fallout 3 thread.

Back
Top Bottom