What games are you playing now?

haha. Nothing is normal with how Bioware errr EA is handling this game... ;) Paranoids. Though if you read the forums, you might understand how they managed to develop this attitude.

Playing Crysis 3 finally after replacing my ancient computer. I can't really understand all the average reviews on the internet for this game; I think it's outstanding. Oh well like anything it's a matter of taste. Still plugging along with Lords of Xulima as well and I restarted Divinity: Original Sin from the beginning because I forgot to backup my save game from my old machine. Oops.

Finished BG2 Throne of Bhaal. I learned to really appreciate the game. I won't go into that here, I have a separate thread for that if anyone cares to discuss. This is the first time I've finished a game and thought "wow that was really great" and "I think I need a vacation" at the same time.

I restarted Venetica, as is my wont. Why? Well, you get more money from the merchants in Venice than you do from your home village and I sold that lady tons of stuff. I wants my money! Do I actually need the money? Well, um, no....but I wants my money :biggrin:

Spending $1300 on my car today. I buy my wife new cars, but I drive an old Lincoln that was given to me. Saving my money for Steam purchases....

In this case, I don't think you'll regret it. At least not if you were a fan of the original :)

To be honest, I never really played the original much. I always thought it looked intriguing, but I just never got around to it. Does the challenge seem about the same or have they tweaked it?

To be honest, I never really played the original much. I always thought it looked intriguing, but I just never got around to it. Does the challenge seem about the same or have they tweaked it?

I have to admit it's been too long to evaluate it accurately. I never completed the original, as I mostly played it in multiplayer. I think I got around halfway through.

It "seems" about the same, though, but they've modernised the UI quite a bit, so it's probably easier just because of that. But it's already showed its old-school roots, because you're not given much information when it comes to mechanics. For instance, the game tells you to capture a certain ship early on - but it neglects to tell you that you can't capture it with just one "salvage corvette", you actually need two. So, it's not entirely modernised.

But I really like the campaign, because unlike most other RTS games, you actually get to keep all the units you capture/produce between maps - which makes it into a more consistent experience.

One of the reasons I rarely play these games is that I feel like I'm starting over on each map, and that's just too repetitive for me.

That said, this game is very unique - and I imagine it might turn people off if they're not into the whole space opera feel.

One important tip: Make sure you have a great sound system setup when you play this game. It's extremely important to the Homeworld experience ;)

One important tip: Make sure you have a great sound system setup when you play this game. It's extremely important to the Homeworld experience ;)

I recently got a new Sound Blaster ZX when I put my latest system together, so I've got quality on that end of things. Speaker-wise, I don't have anything special, as I vastly prefer headphones to any kind of speaker setup when gaming.

I look forward to playing it soon, hopefully. :)

I recently got a new Sound Blaster ZX when I put my latest system together, so I've got quality on that end of things. Speaker-wise, I don't have anything special, as I vastly prefer headphones to any kind of speaker setup when gaming.

I look forward to playing it soon, hopefully. :)

Let me know how you like it :)

Sounds like a reccomendation-i 'll have to try it myself
I have only played a couple of space rats games and couldn't stay interested
No Mp right?

Currently in Bleakfalls Barrow, in a Requiem-modded Skyrim install. And already getting bored/distracted... But I'll push through until the despair tier of boredom is reached in another week.

One of the reasons I rarely play these games is that I feel like I'm starting over on each map, and that's just too repetitive for me.

By all the gods and everything holy, this! There are so many strategy games where I absolutely loved the mechanics, but this one crucial aspect, the disconnect between each stage, is the reason why I refuse to play strategy games that do not have a "grand campaign" (think total war, crusader kings, etc.) or a "sandbox mode" (Age of Wonders, Civilization, Galactic Civilization, etc).

In spite of my interest in Homeworld, I didn't play it way back when because it did not have a grand campaign/sandbox mode - now that I know that it lets you keep your progress, I will definitely play it when I get the chance.

Thanks!

By all the gods and everything holy, this! There are so many strategy games where I absolutely loved the mechanics, but this one crucial aspect, the disconnect between each stage, is the reason why I refuse to play strategy games that do not have a "grand campaign" (think total war, crusader kings, etc.) or a "sandbox mode" (Age of Wonders, Civilization, Galactic Civilization, etc).

In spite of my interest in Homeworld, I didn't play it way back when because it did not have a grand campaign/sandbox mode - now that I know that it lets you keep your progress, I will definitely play it when I get the chance.

Thanks!

Well, strategy campaigns where you gain new unit types or heroes or spells or other stuff along the way that carry forward from map to map has been the case for almost all the ones I've played. I guess I stay away from the shitty ones. ;)

Well, strategy campaigns where you gain new unit types or heroes or spells or other stuff along the way that carry forward from map to map has been the case for almost all the ones I've played. I guess I stay away from the shitty ones. ;)

Ha, well played!

However, I also meant beyond that: So let's say you can keep your units and/or characters and their improvements. I really dislike starting from scratch when it just doesn't really make sense to do so. Stronghold is a good example - although admittedly I didn't get very far in that campaign. I just remember building up a fortification, defending against a group of enemies, then the game says: "Now start over and build another castle!" against more difficult enemies.

I don't think I'm explaining very well here…basically, Homeworld seems to "make sense" to me based on what Dart described in that you don't really just go "map to map" with no real reason but instead feel like you are on an actual campaign, moving forward in the game while keeping the progress you make rather than keeping only a small amount of carry-over.

I hope that at least half-way makes sense. The short version is that Homeworld sounds like it has a non-sandbox strategy campaign that I might actually enjoy for once!

Back
Top Bottom