Skyrim - v1.3 Released for PC

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Bethsoft has released v1.3 for Skyrim on Steam. Once again, a modest list but it seems the patches will keep flowing, with an official LAA patch promised for next week:
Update 1.3 Notes (all platforms unless specified)

• General stability improvements
  • Optimize performance for Core 2 Duo CPUs (PC)
  • Fixed Radiant Story incorrectly filling certain roles
  • Fixed magic resistances not calculating properly
  • Fixed issue with placing books on bookshelves inside player purchased homes
  • Fixed dragon animation issues with saving and loading
  • Fixed Y-look input to scale correctly with framerate
We’re also planning on rolling out support for 4-Gigabyte Tuning (Large Address Aware) next week for our PC users. Stay tuned!
Console users will get updated in due course.
On a side note, Bethsoft has denied the PS3 issues are caused by the engine design as raised by Josh Sawyer and offers some suggested fixes, including turning off auto-saves, waiting 30 days in-game and buying a new hard drive (thanks, CVG).
More information.

Fixed issue with placing books on bookshelves inside player purchased homes

Ah! Good! I was having this issue where after placing the books on a shelf, I couldn't open/take them any more. Hope it's fixed now!

Also, here's hoping the stability issues will help my crashes...

Running a bit better - have a 4 core processor myself but I guess their optimizations still help since I'm getting an average 4 fps faster in Markarth. Also one of the favor side quests (for one of the argonians) which I hadn't been able to trigger while another dissimilar favor quest was active seems to trigger propperly. It is still inactive if I'm already in the middle of doing a favor quest which is a variation on the same task though - but I beleive that is intended since it keeps the misc objectives list from become 20 pages long.

Also I the issue where turning on ambient occlusion and in-game setting for transparency multisampling caused significant and annoying sluggishness in mouse behavior is gone for me. Probably related to addressing the FPS/sensitivity scaling. I still don't really like that mechanic, but if it doesn't intrude into my game I'll learn to grumble about it being there without wanting to delete all fires and candles from the game.

Turning on transparency multisampling in the configuration still does not actually do anything noticeable for me quality wise and still does produce a noticeable hit in many indoor areas. Forcing it on in my nvidia control panel but leaving it off in the game settings however still seems to provide a boost to quality without hurting frame-rates much (1-2 fps). This might be specific to just some lines of nVidia cars though.

Spawning 30 dragons and 12 dragon priests in Solitude still crashes my game though. My shadows haven't gone wonky (producing shadowy bars and striations on objects) yet but I'm they'll be back in a few hours like a familiar and annoying friend who gets on everyone's faces and makes them looks ugly. God I hate Greg.

Ah! Good! I was having this issue where after placing the books on a shelf, I couldn't open/take them any more. Hope it's fixed now!

Also, here's hoping the stability issues will help my crashes…

Interestingly, SOME of the bookshelves are fixed, others are not in my home.

We’re also planning on rolling out support for 4-Gigabyte Tuning (Large Address Aware) next week for our PC users. Stay tuned!

Yeah!

Although, I'm going to keep my Steam offline for a bit more. Just to be sure it doesn't break anything else.

Oh I just got the "Steam has finished breaking...err downloading Skyrim" message. Boy I love Steam. Again...good thing I'm playing Morrowind!

Hehe with all these bug reports I'm real glad I didn't start a serious playthrough attempt just yet. I'm really looking forward to playing a mostly fixed (and possibly modded) near-perfect version early next year. I can wait. There is plenty enough backlog here waiting to get some attention :) .

Another patch and more broken mods I love it.

Hehe with all these bug reports I'm real glad I didn't start a serious playthrough attempt just yet. I'm really looking forward to playing a mostly fixed (and possibly modded) near-perfect version early next year. I can wait. There is plenty enough backlog here waiting to get some attention :) .

The worst bugs in Skyrim sometimes feel like they're being handled as enemy factions with the AI governing the behavior of glitched and havoc as though they were hostile actors. Once you know they're there and can sneak up on you, you tend to expect them to show up at the worst times - and sometimes you won't have any major ones afterwards for 20 or more hours - but you know they're there waiting to ruin your day (or wedding day in some cases.)

I got through about 80 hours of a serious playthrough and made the mistake of rubbing it in to my roommate (who's on the PS3) that it had been "almost flawless for me." Well apparently the bug and glitch and physics engine factions heard me and took offense that I refused to aknowledge their - till then - "playful" presence. That's when they must have been when they decided to plan their attack.

Twenty minutes later during
The Battle for Whiterun
pretty much all of them hit me at once. By the end, my wife was stuck in the sky above this place breakdancing in the air about 100 feet up, every structure in which I had an unfinished quest pointing to (but none of the others) was destroyed, and a dragon which I had killed about 19 minutes prior to that quest starting decided to follow me in skeletal form when I fast travelled - and kept showing up from that point on.

I also realized that I had gotten overconfident and relied on auto-saves for the last 8 hours. My quick save was just over 8 hours old and my previous manual save was about 12. After laughing at the fruit of my hubris I had a hotkey dislexia as I hit f5 instead of f9. Well played glitch faction - letting me do myself in in the end like that was an impressive touch. When I found out that the damage to this place did not get fixed no matter how long I waited and that I could find no global variable or console command to make those incomplete quests completable, I realized I had been bested by the clever team-work of what must be near sentient AI managing the glitches and bugs. They really should have put that script in charge of some of the high level bandit groupings instead, but impressive

Of course since reloading from way back things have been mostly smooth - with the odd guard dropping from a tree here and there and some minor but obvious quest bugs at times Those have been fixable with console commands this time around, sp far as and only as long as the I do not incure the ire of the radiant-story driven glitchlords which are the true power in Skyrim. But yeah I've been hesitant to trigger that quest again this time around.

I'm still having a lot of fun and most of the time when the game suprises me it does so in good ways rather than apocalyptic failure of sanity and the laws of physics. The fact that I know it can does influence my gameplay though - and while I can say it has caused me to pay more attention and take some things more slowly and carefully - I don't think the secret faction of glitches should present the most powerful source of pacing in the game.

Oh I just got the "Steam has finished breaking…err downloading Skyrim" message. Boy I love Steam. Again…good thing I'm playing Morrowind!
Errr, you know you can turn off auto-updates for any program you want. Right click it and check the properties.

P.S. What's a LAA update? Will there be a tee, rae, and d'oh update later?

Errr, you know you can turn off auto-updates for any program you want. Right click it and check the properties.

P.S. What's a LAA update? Will there be a tee, rae, and d'oh update later?

It will allow Skyrim to use more than 2gb of memory. There is a mod out that does this and it fixed most of my crashes. It's the same with the fallout games.

Bethesda still used the same engine just updated and improved with the same problems. It's Gamebryo, it looks like Gamebryo, it runs like Gamebryo, it sounds like Gamebryo, and it has the same errors as Gamebryo.

Will have to wait for this one then. Although I had 0 crashes in 50 hours with the stock exe (I escaped the stealth patch), I did get one, an hour after setting uGridsToLoad=7 (don't know how I lived without that tweak!). So I used the original Laa fix. Ten hours later, no further crashes (and I would like to keep it that way, thank you very much) …

uGridsToLoad=7 (don't know how I lived without that tweak!)
It breaks savegames, right? What does it exactly I need a tweak which loads distant details sooner. As you all know, it's sometimes annoying if suddenly a tent or trees appear in the not-too-far distance.

It breaks savegames, right? What does it exactly I need a tweak which loads distant details sooner. As you all know, it's sometimes annoying if suddenly a tent or trees appear in the not-too-far distance.

It does but you can easily restore them.

It is a great Visual (and immersive) enhancer I only wish that I could put it to 9…
Give me a couple of minutes to find a guide that will show you how to restore to 5 if you change your mind. Note that you will see a performance drop depending on your system (and you may experience crashes that the laa mod fixed for me) but it is totally worth the effort imho.

EDIT: There you go (scroll down to uGrids)

I have tested the revert method and it works. I was thinking that I might go back after that single crash, but thankfully laa fixed the problem, would have probably kept it anyway though.

I forgot to use LAA just after updating to 1.3 and I thought the crash that happened every time I loaded the game was because of 1.3 and then I remembered to use LAA and the crashes stopped. I have a large amount of texture re-placers which force me to use LAA or else.

I'm all patched up but see no difference. I still have the key mapping problem (after re-mapping 'F'), and the odd dragon refuses to hand over their soul after I make them dead.

So for me the patches haven't fixed anything, nor broken anything; it's a good thing I like the status quo. (not the band, the Latin meaning)

Back
Top Bottom