Steve Jackson's Ogre kickstarter

Lucky Day

Daywatch
while perusing potential competition came across this

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/847271320/ogre-designers-edition?ref=live

OGRE is not a video game its a boxed wargame

He asked $20k and got $200k so far. Its a 16 pound war game - a redesign of his first from 1977. Because of the weight and cost he can't ship it outside the US.

its heavy: went from 14 pounds to 16 pounds.

its expensive: a pledge of $100 is the minimum to get a copy of the game.

here's the thing with me that raises eyebrows - he says if it wasn't for all the cash they got from Munchkin (which I can now buy at my local B&N) they wouldn't be able to sell it for $100.

Steve Jackson Games may not be a major publisher, but its well known and respected in the RPG Community of course. And from the Munchkin comment they aren't in need of a cash infusion.

Its not a yet a contradiction of Dhruin's belief that a major company won't get involved in this chump change but I still think its only a matter of time.

Sign me up if he ever does a Car Wars kickstarter. Even if it only had US shipping, I'd bug my family so I could send it to them and then to me. Love Car Wars, not so sure about OGRE.

OMG! Ogre is one of my fondest memories from board-gaming-geek childhood! Will have to seriously consider this. G.E.V.'s! Heavy Tanks! and mass infantry desperately trying to cripple the horribly huge robot-tank monstrosity! Good fun!!

@Skaven: liked Car Wars as well, but didn't play it as much as Ogre. If you like Steve Jackson games, I think Ogre is a safe bet for you.

Ooh, that would be sweeet! I have vague memories of playing Ogre (some el cheapo version) back in the 80's and liking it quite a lot (likewise with Car Wars). Too bad the new version is 100 bucks (though looking at the swag, I can kinda understand why) and that they don't ship it internationally. Well, it's good for my wallet, that they don't ship internationally, as now I don't even have a temptation to buy it. But I can daydream.

here's the thing with me that raises eyebrows - he says if it wasn't for all the cash they got from Munchkin (which I can now buy at my local B&N) they wouldn't be able to sell it for $100.

Steve Jackson Games may not be a major publisher, but its well known and respected in the RPG Community of course. And from the Munchkin comment they aren't in need of a cash infusion.
Being a huge fan of Steve Jackson Games' pen-and-paper RPG GURPS, I am also glad that Munchkin has been such a big success. Without it, there would effectively be no GURPS any longer. Steve Jackson has stated publicly, that were it not for Munchkin the whole company might have gone under (2005ish). The RPG side of the company does not bring in even 10% the money what Munchkin does (IIRC). It's sad the state most PnP RPGs currently are. GURPS is basically a PDF line now with very few books coming out in dead tree format, and it is effectively published with money from Munchkin as it would not profitable enough on itself. I'm very grateful SJG still publishes material for GURPS, if not for any other reason but out of respect for fans and SJG's long history with RPGs. The money they make out of it is chump change compared to Munchkin. *sad panda*

@Skaven: liked Car Wars as well, but didn't play it as much as Ogre. If you like Steve Jackson games, I think Ogre is a safe bet for you.

That's what I was thinking at first, but for a hundred dollars I'd rather go with a franchise I know. Dang thing is going to be a monster though, 16 pounds for the box? That's a lot of OGRE goodness.

Did anyone play the OGRE computer game from Origin? That's one of the few Origin games I never got.

Ogre/GEV is one of my favorite board games ever! But the $100 cost put me off. It used to sell for like $5.

The Ogre computer game had the best AI ever in any game. I rarely if ever won and I was really good against other people. Playing against the AI was like playing against God.

Love SJG, I was a huge GURPS nerd back in the day, but 100 bucks? Make the computer game and I'll be there, I don't need another 16lbs of junk in my house, lol!!! Not to mention I still have the '77 version in a box, somewhere -p

-Carn

One of my friends is a backer and is going to get the big box. I'm not into OGRE enough to justify the $100 but I'll get to play his. Looks like it will be fun.

I would totally back a deluxe Car Wars release though - had tons of fun with that back in the day.

Loved Ogre! But no game is worth $100...

Car Wars and Warhammer Quest is easily worth 100 bucks from me. I'd kickstart either one of those in a New York Minute. Although GW would never allow WQ to be Kickstarted :D

In any event, that's chump change compared to some tabletop games.

The problem with WQ would be that to have a 'consistent' look you'd have to have more miniatures than in the initial box, and I guess no one would produce them now... of course players would be 'creative', just in the old times, when I played WFB with my friends using cardboard tokens ;)

Hey all you Car Wars fans - they added a Car Wars related stretch goal to the OGRE kickstarter. If they hit $700,000 (4 days left to go) they'll go ahead with a Car Wars Kickstarter. There is a new backer level of $23 specifically for Car Wars support with a t-shirt reward and access to a private backer's forum to give feedback about the Car Wars Kickstarter (if they hit the stretch goal).

Not sure why they wouldn't just do a Car Wars kickstarter anyway, but this is tempting.

Back
Top Bottom