RPGWatch - Legends of Eisenwald Preview

Did you play Kings Bounty recently? I can't anymore because combat is rather boring and takes too much time. We designed the combat to be fast yet tactical. Tactics comes not from the rules of combat but from using positions and different units and weapons.

And I disagree result is clear before the start - it's possible to beat a much stronger army just by arranging and planning a bit ahead.

Combat mechanics are not based on scripts or anything, so they cannot be changed. And it's probably about another year or more of work to change the mechanics or add a new option. That's not something we can do nor have the resources for.

Did you play Kings Bounty recently? I can't anymore because combat is rather boring and takes too much time. We designed the combat to be fast yet tactical. Tactics comes not from the rules of combat but from using positions and different units and weapons.

And I disagree result is clear before the start - it's possible to beat a much stronger army just by arranging and planning a bit ahead.

Alright, perhaps I am missing something... How do you arrange your units to use their positions to your advantage? Because it seems that once you enter a fight you have no way of really doing that as the only way to move a unit is by attacking a nearby enemy... There's no way to move a character w/o attacking... and no way for a melee fighter to attack an enemy further away because you must attack an enemy who is the fewest hexes away.

Combat mechanics are not based on scripts or anything, so they cannot be changed. And it's probably about another year or more of work to change the mechanics or add a new option. That's not something we can do nor have the resources for.

Fair enough. As I said I don't expect nor want you to completely change it but there seems to be something missing. Unless I am missing something.

If you have a unit who uses a spear, it would be good to increase his initiative, select counterattacking skill and wait for enemies to attack him.

Or - the enemy has one or a few heavy armored units. Then it's better to have someone in your army with a pickaxe which damages the armor permanently during the entire battle. And this way archers will be able to shoot this enemy at some point.

Or - if you have a unit with both a sword and dagger (2x attack). It's better to place this unit on the side and maybe even into the 2nd row. And first turn might be good to wait and then attack twice in a row at the end of one turn and the beginning of the next. This way it might be possible to get to archer and kill them with one move.

There are also maces that reduce initiative and attack, swords do some counterattacking. And some weapons and items have additional bonuses.

As for changing the combat system, I was replying to the message of Farflame, I should have made it more obvious.

Great, thank you, I had no idea I had to approve these things, but now I know and it's approved!

Adding games to a Steam curation list needs approving? That's new to me.
Who asked you to approve this?

I put Legends of Eisenwald on the list, because in Aubrielle's preview it looks really promising and most comments are very positive so far.

And thank you for approving it (regardless whether this is needed or not :) )

Yup, I was surprised too. When I logged in for the first time to curation tab in marketing on Steam backend, there were three reviews pending. It looks like devs have to approve these recommendations. Here is what written there on the backend:
"Below is a list of curators that have written a "recommendation" for your product. By default, curators with more than a certain number of followers (currently tuned to 3,000) can appear on your store page. But you can remove specific curators to hide them from your page, or approve other curators to allow them to appear. "

So, thanks for adding us and thanks for writing about it :) You might as well tell a few other devs whose games you recommend to approve your recommendation.

I didn't know this - thank you for the explanation. :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom