Mount & Blade II - Developer Update #7

The Floris mod reveals of the mentality of players.

M&B is an oddity in a few dimensions like offering a stable metaverse that allows the player to build up a character in a role (as the game is able to measure the performance of the player in a role)
Roleplaying takes time and the assets to be structured around.

The Floris mod destroys all of this to move the gameplay towards players expectations: all conquer, domination.

It makes the metaverse collapse very fast by changing the design of the strongholds and reversing the balance of power between a besieged army and a besieging army.

For example, one common way to introduce a character in Calradia is to take the mercenary life, soldiering for one faction, then another etc
In vanilla, soldiering for six months is no problem, it gives time to build up the needed relationship with chosen lords, get support from cities and villages, shape the proficiency of the character...

With the floris mod, the metaverse evolves fast, very fast. In one game, after three ingame months, only two factions were left.

The floris mod is excellent for players who look to dominate, to conquer the gameworld.

It destroys though any opportunity to enjoy the roleplaying opportunity M&B provides.

I only hope that they totally redo the whole strategic gameplay. Combat is fine, but I stopped playing the game once I owned two or more holdings. The whole run around to gather people to go back to holding to refill recruits killed it for me.

Mount & Blade takes a route not many games take: it requires preparation.

Players moving up the social ladder while being unprepared usually experience the life of an unprepared ambitious character aspiring to rule.
It is what could be expected.

With the proper support by villages, the runs to gather people are nothing, especially if the villages are well chosen.
Depending on character, running a man hunting campaign will deliver a lot of men etc

M&B takes delegation to a friendly level. My main character is on a more than 28 ingame years and I delegate so much.

Preparation is a key word in M&B, players jumping in, taking a MMO grinding approach often find themselves deprive of the proper support from the gameworld which leads them to be burdened by menial tasks that do not exist when you go prepared.

Spend 1220h in M&B:W and counting :p played PoP alot- really great mod, before i dived into MP- namely Napoleonic Wars DLC and its sooooooooooo addictive xD. Hopefully Bannerlord will have same success.

Also dont forget to check on Caribbean! - standalone game made with M&BW engine which also looks very promising

Back
Top Bottom