Inquisitor - Released on GoG

This is sounding real good, the more I hear you guys talk about it. If I get bored with NWN2, I'm moving to this next.

Question: some 'containers' (?well, clickable objects?))e.g. statue on bottom level of Iron Mines, seem to give audio feedback when you click on them, but don't seem to do anything else. Usually locked containers display 'locked', these give nothing except the audio cue. So whats the deal with these? Do they need special items to unseal and if so, will having those in your inventory work or do you need to do something more? I hate leaving things unresolved!

Question: some 'containers' (?well, clickable objects?))e.g. statue on bottom level of Iron Mines, seem to give audio feedback when you click on them, but don't seem to do anything else. Usually locked containers display 'locked', these give nothing except the audio cue. So whats the deal with these? Do they need special items to unseal and if so, will having those in your inventory work or do you need to do something more? I hate leaving things unresolved!

I did not get there yet, so I'll give a suggestion
If you're playing with the thief, he's got the pick locks skill. You could try that.
If you're playing with the priest, you can (if you're OK with using forbidden schools of magic) try casting the "shatter" spell (Pagan magic book). You can also cast "divine wrath". I don't know if direct damage spells will work though.
With all the classes you can bash it, which is bad IMO because you degrade your weapon durability (unless you're playing the paladin and can repair it) or, what's best (this is always my choice when I find locked containers or doors), press "Z" which is the command to tell your buddies to attack a target and click the container. they will bash it for you. After some time it will break. I usually cast flame weapons on them so the container breaks easily.

Last edited:
I did not get there yet, so I'll give a suggestion
If you're playing with the thief, he's got the pick locks skill. You could try that.
If you're playing with the priest, you can (if you're OK with using forbidden schools of magic) try casting the "shatter" spell (Pagan magic book). You can also cast "divine wrath". I don't know if direct damage spells will work though.
With all the classes you can bash it, which is bad IMO because you degrade your weapon durability (unless you're playing the paladin and can repair it) or, what's best (this is always my choice when I find locked containers or doors), press "Z" which is the command to tell your buddies to attack a target and click the container. they will bash it for you. After some time it will break. I usually cast flame weapons on them so the container breaks easily.

I usually use my paladin companion to bash for me (his weapon doesn't seem to degrade ;-) but in this case he doesn't attack it. So it seems to require something else?

I've just had to backtrack all the way from the bottom of the min because I ran out of potions %#@!!! Those orc mages are deadly in a group :-/

I usually use my paladin companion to bash for me (his weapon doesn't seem to degrade ;-) but in this case he doesn't attack it. So it seems to require something else?

I've just had to backtrack all the way from the bottom of the min because I ran out of potions %#@!!! Those orc mages are deadly in a group :-/

There's a spell that allows you to teleport. You mark the spot with "holy ground" and you teleport back with "divine mercy", both from the book of divine magic.
Also, you can buy that magic box (the priest in the church sells it). When you break it a genie will come out and you can make a wish. You could either tell him you want to buy things from him and buy potions or you could tell him you want to teleport back to hillbrandt. I think you can mark the spot in the dungeon, use the genie to teleport to the city and teleport back to the dungeon with the spell.There are other wishes but I think they would not apply to your situation.

Last edited:
A couple things for those like me who are still low level - speed is a less obvious attribute to put points in that has proven very effective. My paladin is fast and can run circles around the slower creatures, and can run away quickly when in trouble, heh. I got chased into a crypt because too many creatures were after me, and when I tried to leave, they were guarding the entrance and would jump me immediately. But eventually after a few deaths (when they would hit me at once when I appeared), I was able to get the step on them and squeeze out between two of them and escaped, all due to speed. ( I literally had a second or less to do it in before they would get me)

Another cool thing about having good speed is you can run around and pick up the treasure without fighting the monsters most of the time in the open areas, so if you get bored fighting you can get treasure that way, lol.

Incidentally, a spell I have found surprisingly useful is the first level spell "bless". When you read it, it seems like it doesn't do much, but it is better than it sounds from the spell description. Continuing the story of my paladin in the crypt, before I escaped I was checking it out, and had no healing potions and only 2 hit points remaining. I cast bless and was able to kill around 4-5 creatures (taking them on one on one of course) and they didn't hit me. I think bless may give a defense bonus or something that is not indicated, even though when I looked at my defense score it had not changed, but it seemed much harder for the creatures to hit me with it on. It also gives a nice attack bonus as well.

How much 'choice and consequence' is there in this game, or is it fairly linear? I don't expect it to be like Fallout or Arcanum, but still.

I'm very interested in it, but if it's simply an action RPG I may have to pass.

It is not an action rpg. There is a detailed story and world fleshed out, and many ways to customize/build a character. That said, my early experience is it does seem linear, but I'm not far into the game. That could change later on, but just from my play so far, it is linear in terms of how Baldur's Gate was linear. So you can go to different places, and some areas will be too hard for your character until you level up, but you might not be able to alter the main plot that much.

How much 'choice and consequence' is there in this game, or is it fairly linear? I don't expect it to be like Fallout or Arcanum, but still.

I'm very interested in it, but if it's simply an action RPG I may have to pass.

You're an investigator. And as such, you can incriminate a number of people. You can send the wrong people to jail and burn them at the stake. I don't know to which extent this affects the story but still... the wrong people you can arrest seem pretty important at the moment. I decided to keep investigating because I think these guys are innocent.
Now for the action part. Don't choose hard mode. I did and you have to be pretty... stubborn to say the least. It will take much longer to level up and it will feel much more like an ARPG. Also in hard you'll have to grind a little bit.
If you're in for the story and the investigation which are really priceless you should go on easy mode. That's cool because it's already challenging.

Bought it yesterday and I can say: What a ton of reading!

Bought it yesterday and I can say: What a ton of reading!

It sure is. however certain text can be safely skipped if you wanted to.
Like: what kinda monster are there about in this area. etc.

Lvl 9 on medium and I am getting raped in the crypt. My pally seems so weak.

I'd recommend, before going into any caverns or crypts:
1)At least level 15;
2)Would be good to have endurance, healing touch and light spells;
3)Would help a lot to have Levitate spell (you can go through lava or acid pits, you can pull levers and grab stuff from afar)
4)At least 2 sets of weapons;
5)At least 2 magic boxes (you can use it to, for example, buy more potions or teleport to town). You buy these at the astrologist.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom