New Paradox Game & DLC

Well gamers never think delays are bad and thats baffling sometimes.;)

Hopefully they don't pull the plug near the end of development like two other games last year. I really wanted to play Runemaster, and the East vs. West game.

My only problem with them delaying HoI4 is that it probably means a delay on Victoria 3 (since I don't care about HoI4 but I do care about V3).

There once was a time when we did. That was before Steam introduced us to the term "back log."

There once was a time when we did. That was before Steam introduced us to the term "back log."
Good for you but my backlog is basically gone now I don't have one.
My only problem with them delaying HoI4 is that it probably means a delay on Victoria 3 (since I don't care about HoI4 but I do care about V3).
I didn't know they were making a Victoria III so thanks for the information wolfing.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Hopefully they don't pull the plug near the end of development like two other games last year. I really wanted to play Runemaster, and the East vs. West game.

Yeah, cancellations are bad.

Delays aren't.

I have enough games to play for another 5 years, so they can delay the game for that long :D

I didn't know they were making a Victoria III so thanks for the information wolfing.:thumbsup:

Just play another game of EU4 with a good challenging game.

Play as Brunswick and your primary goal is to become the Emperor and then your secondary goal is to take over the Ottoman Empire

Well, it's not official, but if they don't announce it next month in Paradox's annual convention, I'd be really surprised.

I don't think Paradox has ever canceled an in-house developed game that has reached such an advanced stage. East vs. West, as well as Magna Carta were both developed by smaller companies that Paradox finally seem have lost faith in.

They canceled Runemaster after two years of development.;)

I will never forgive them for that.

I will never forgive them for that.

you and me both. Worst thing is, they already had a playable engine that looked perfectly fine for me from what they showed in the last big convention before the cancellation. They showed a fight against some troops and then a 'boss' fight, and I was totally digging it. Made me very sad when I heard the news.

How far did they actually get with that one? I got the impression that they did not get very far until they put it on the backburner, but I might be mistaken.

My guess is that, since they've never done an RPG, they didn't realize how much work goes into those games, they only considered the 'engine', but not the resources needed for the actual content. After doing the first areas, NPCs, etc. they multiplied that time by how many more areas, NPCs, etc. they still needed to do, then translated that into manpower cost, compared that to how much they expected to get from the game's sales, and numbers didn't add up.

They cancelled Sword of the Stars 2 just a couple of years after it came out!

Well, OK, that doesn't sound right at all but it's kinda true. The game came out a horrible mess. They fixed the mess up, pushed out an expansion, and just when the game seemed ready to really start flying they cut development off completely. Arg.

Please don't ever mention Sword of the Stars 2 again as that game was just a mess. Anyway it seems a new Europa Universalis IV DLC will be announced next week.

Link - http://ftg.operationsupplydrop.org/2015/01/18/europa-universalis-iv-dlc-teased/
Europa Universalis IV‘s next DLC has been teased on the game forums. On a forum topic concerning the future of DLCs from Paradox, the user Balor – the head developer of Paradox Interactive games Johan Andersson – stated:

“We will probably announce the new one next week.. On the size of WoN and CoP.”

A brand new DLC on the scale of Wealth of Nations or Conquest of Paradise is a huge undertaking from the Europa Universalis IV development team. They have recently been churning out new patches and DLCs for the popular Grand Strategy game Europa Universalis IV at an incredible rate. Let’s hope that this quick follow up from the last large-scale DLC release doesn’t result in a decrease of quality!

Oh no, another DLC. I better finish my current campaign before the big patch hits and mangles everything.

They really need to fix that Conquest of Paradise up more. I'm playing the random western hemisphere now and it's uuuuugly. Names keep getting repeated all over the place. When I colonize, the name changes. "Southern tip of Greenland" needs to be dropped because it ends up just being weird. And the trade nodes… whaaa!? Makes me hungry for spaghetti.

Oh, and I happen to like
Sw*rd of the Stars 2​
(you knew that was coming! ;))

Haha, there's no way I can buy anymore EU4 stuff.

I am still having fun with almost vanilla EU4…

I'll definitely buy it, but I'll wait until it goes on sale (which usually happens when the *next* DLC comes out). Only exception to that rule was Art of War, the DLC was just too good to wait.

Wolfing, can you explain exactly how trade works? I still don't get whether it's better to gather trade or steer it and how to pick which node if my territories are in multiple nodes.

You seem to play this a lot...

It's usually the one thing I lack the most, except for colonisation, but I'm not a fan of colonisation.

I played as Portugal once and colonised most of eastern Brazil but then just got bored.... I don't understand what people enjoy about it.

The way trade works is like this. Each trade node has a total trade value (gold) which is the sum of all the production of all the provinces in it, plus whatever's incoming minus whatever's outgoing. Now, you can either collect or transfer in each trade node with a merchant. You automatically collect in your home node so you don't need a merchant there (but it does give a 10% bonus if you put one there). If you have a merchant collect outside your home node he'll suffer a penalty.

So with that base info, this is how it basically goes. You want to do like a whirlpool and try to steer as much money as you can into your home node and collect there, so that's where trade steering comes into play.

The amount of money you collect or transfer in a node depends on your trade power in that node. Trade power comes from the provinces you own in that node plus if it's a marine node, the trade ships you have assigned there (with the Wealth of Nations DLC you can create a trading post in each node that adds trade power too). So to do anything of importance in a node, you need good trade power in it (about 60% is ok).

Let's look at the trade map for my current Venice game for example:
xcv4EEa.jpg

My home node is Venice, which is an 'end node' (no outgoing routes). Because of my manipulations, there is 60 gold available in Venice ('trade value'), where I have 78% trade power (about 50% from provinces and 28% from some trade ships) so I collect about 45 gold (60 * 0.78 give or take) base, plus my trade bonuses because of technology and ideas, I end up collecting some 80 gold there each month. The idea is to steer gold there from other nodes so I can collect more. In the image you see I have money coming in from Genoa (10.13 gold) and Ragusa (17.56 gold) (the red checkmark means I have a merchant transferring in that node and to which node it's transferring to). If I assign more trade ships to Genoa, my trade power there would increase and thus, more money would be transferred to Venice.

If we keep analyzing the map, Ragusa is usually very poor, but I also own Constantinople (70% power, from provinces and some trade ships), so my merchant is sending 20g from there to Ragusa. I also have some power in Alexandria and a merchant sending money (11.65) to Venice. I only have 47% power in Alexandria so my next available trade ships I'll probably send there, until I get to about 60%. I also have a merchant in Aleppo sending 10.5 gold to Constantinople. So you see how money is being funneled into Venice (Aleppo -> Constantinople -> Ragusa -> Venice, Alexandria -> Venice, and Genoa -> Venice). For this to work you need to have some good trade power in the nodes involved.

So in summary, look what rich nodes you have connected to your home node, send a merchant there to transfer to your node. Use trade ships (and/or warmongering) so you have some 60% power there. Later on when your fleet is very big, look into what rich nodes you can control so they transfer money to those, etc.

Last edited:
Paradox released a new video for the El Dorado: Nation Designer.

Link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX3XGI4BFes
The Nations The Nations Designer is part of the upcoming El Dorado expansion for Europa Universalis 4, we take a look at it's mechanics.
I also found a new interview they posted on their website.

Link - http://bibicon.it/breakfastbug/inte...d-designer-di-crusader-kings-ii/#tabs-421-0-1
Are we going to see any brand new game based on the Clausewitz engine in the near future?

Yes! First up is Hearts of Iron IV, the latest in our successful WW2 series of wargames, which will be released in Q2 or so. We have another game in production and yet another one in pre-production.
Now I'm curious and wonder what the other two games are?

Back
Top Bottom