Risen Gold, Just how important is it?

jantzz

Watcher
Does gold play a big part in Risen?...If so, what is the best skill?...Is putting points
into smithing and prospecting a good idea?...Thanks Guys...
Dennis

The main purpose gold in Gothic style games is buying better armour when it's offered to you. This usually happens as a promotion on your career path. You need a lot of gold for that. Armour works a status symbol.
Generally speaking you should automatically have enough gold after 10-15 hours by simply selling all the crap you find.
Some of the best weapons can only be crafted. I don't remember though if it's the very best.

I assume you mean the Gold ore and crafting (i.e not from an economy perspective)?

Well, traditionally in PB games smithing (in addition to being a lot of fun imo) nets you some very good objects usually ahead of times of when you actually find them.

Gold is used to create some very good protective rings and amulets that you will use for most of the game and smithing in general some weapons that only come second to a few of the most high powered ones you find.

Generally speaking it is worth it imo (I am a bit biased though) but you do not need to invest there if you do not enjoy it. It will make the middle/late part of the game somewhat easier and can be used as a money maker at some extent (nowhere near close to how insane it was in Gothic 3 though).

If you want to go the Goldsmith path though, remember to hang on to the gems you find until you have a clear picture of what you need, to make the jewelery you like to use.

Also selling them as part of a crafted jewelery piece will get you more than selling them as individual gems iirc…

I personally found prospecting a waste of points; you can find plenty enough gold/iron elsewhere unless you like changing your equipment for the hell of it every couple days.

If you're playing through with an axe as I did, smithing also has less appeal. While good swords can indeed be smithed, axes are straight-up purchased. Nevertheless, the (arguably) best rings in the game are goldsmithed.

Back
Top Bottom