Risen Risen: A Guide

Good point. You are right, we can't host it of other people's work has been used extensively.

I've already got two tards at World of Risen trolling me about that, so just let me say that I don't expect any hosting or anything from anyone. I just wanted to make this available to the people playing the game. I wrote this for myself initially and other people on Something Awful heard about it and wanted it so I polished it and published it for them. The guide is all about assembling and making sense of the scattered and confusing information already out there on Risen — this makes it a better product than anything that's out there, but it's not an original product (nor, to some extent, are any of the guides out there).

In any case, I'm glad some people are enjoying it and hope they get a lot of use out of it.

Edit: Slightly new version of the guide up. I've adjusted my opinions of some skills somewhat after cross-testing. Biggest change is my opinion on the magic crystals.

Edit: Another update, last one for a while. I've added a map with teleport rune locations and tables on bows and crossbows, plus I've done a little cleaning up.

Last edited:
Yup, same here. I'm playing through the game, and I'm consulting your guide for little pointers. It's very helpful.

Wow, thanks for making an organized guide.

I've finished this game once and since the ending was so disappointing, I won't stomach another playthrough...
Thanks to this guide, I'll see what other paths I could take

Downloaded it, not checked it yet, but thx anyways for the effort you put in to it

@risenguide.

Considering the the well presented work that *you* did with R1 - do you have any similar plans with R2...?
...would you approach it differently second time around? - eg: not using the work of others or perhaps with consentual agreement/permissions of integrated input from others? - etc'

...just interested (now is the time to plan ahead.) ;)

@risenguide.

Considering the the well presented work that *you* did with R1 - do you have any similar plans with R2…?
…would you approach it differently second time around? - eg: not using the work of others or perhaps with consentual agreement/permissions of integrated input from others? - etc'

…just interested (now is the time to plan ahead.) ;)

I sometimes make little guides for the games I play mostly as references for myself. However, these little guides almost never have walkthroughs, and instead are basically rough drafts of the kind of stuff present in the appendix section of the Risen guide. For example, when I was playing Morrowind I made a list of the most easily accessible sources for spells and for important alchemy ingredients using Balmora as a location, but I never actually wrote anything about "First you go here, open the third door in the hallway..."

Also I'll have to get a new computer before I'll be able to play Risen 2. My old beater can barely handle Risen on pretty minimal settings.

The short answer is "probably not."

I'd just like to add my thanks to your effort to making this guide, it really helped with my first play through, especially in Harbor town. I imagine writing a full walkthrough from scratch would be tough, but most players don't need a full walkthrough. I thought the most valuable part of your guide was the organized info and the tips. Maybe if you get around to playing R2 you could just make a handy reference and errors to avoid guide for us :D.

I've been making a list of my own tips and useful info, notably about the most of effective use of Learning Points, stat potions and stat herbs (min/maxing so sue me). Maybe you could add that to the appendix of a future version. I've also been making a note of unpatched bugs, some of which aren't immediately apparent but can be really annoying. You listed some like the archery bug, but there is also the fact that lvl 10 for all melee weapons skills do nothing so there is not point in training them(max attacks in a combo is 5 and thats if you start with a lateral blow). The the crystal skills also suffer from the archery bug in regards to their casting speed, IE no increase in speed until lvl 10 where speed doubles.
That doesn't effect point placement choice as much because damage obviously increases, it does make having lvl 10 more valuable though.

I'm sure about these I tested them quite a bit, but you should take a look at it. Just use the console to adjust stats and compare lvl 1 to 9 and than lvl 9 to 10.

anyway thanks again, let me know if you want my info for your guide.

Last edited:
It depends on the walkthrough some well written ones can serve as a guide without spoiling too much. I use walkthroughs from time to time, usually as a reference after that fact to make sure I haven't missed anything in an area or if I get stuck on something. I imagine thats how they are used by most people. I also really like this guide for its appendix it collects all the information about weapons and items plants and such so I can make decisions on character builds and so on. Thats probably the most valuable part of the guide to me. Oh and Harbor town is a confusing network of quests and people ( and if you do some you can't do others) and he really straightens things out. So yes walkthroughs have spoilers but I doubt most people use them by reading the whole chapter and than playing that chapter.

Anyone managed to make the quest with the eastern temple ? I am there with the 3 brothers but when I talk to one of them he says I need to take them to the entrance ... but they are at the entrance just that it;s blocked.

Risen has had its first price drop on Steam recently -- you can get it for 30 bucks now!

Wanted to thank you a ton for this guide. Very detailed and obvious you put a lot of time and effort into making it. Again, thank you very much!

cool will check this out
thanks man

Back
Top Bottom