Dustwind - New post-apocalyptic tactical RPG announced

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The new developer Dustwin Studios has announced a Fallout-like game Dustwind.
The game features a SP campaign, and two multiplayer modes.

More details about the gameplay, story and factions can be found at the homepage.

The year is 2075
Twenty-five years have passed since The Awakening – a catastrophic event in which an artificial intelligence called the Mainframe has gone rogue and turned it´s robotic armies against all other lifeforms on Earth. We barely won the war at a great cost. Ninety percent of the population, including the United European Government, have perished.
Almost all the infrastructure has been destroyed, and there has not been any contact to other continents ever since.

Various factions have formed in the chaos right after the war was over. Many of them still fight each other violently for survival and dominance – like humans have always done, and like they always will.

To make matters even worse, late side effects of various mass-destruction weapons deployed during the war have started showing – plants in many areas of the Pan-European Wasteland are dying, hitherto unseen feral mutants appear out of nowhere, and vast territories still remain uninhabitable.

As of the remaining robots – disorganized without a central computer to control them, they have defaulted to their self-perservation directives. Behaving like aggressive organisms, the ones of them equipped with bio-electric digestion units were able to survive by feeding on biological matter. These relics of a once-unstoppable global menace are merely another hazard now.
More information.

Actually this is a Fallout Tactics with nicer looking graphics. Their website greets you with big A realtime multiplayer tactical RPG … frack that. Lost me immediately

If I wanted that I would have been playing Fallout Online for years now which I am sure is better than this game in everything but graphics.

While I don't mind multiplayer modes if integrated properly like in Divinity: OS, I am also skeptical due to being realtime. We'll have to see...

http://www.dustwind.com/
Tactical action combat
You will need your commanding skills and a bit of reflexes as you lead your character(s) into battle.
DPnGUJt.gif

I'm a huge fan of Fallout: Tactics and this looked like a worthy successor... and then they have to make it real-time and even worse, multi-player. Didn't they learn anything from all the past fails? Shadowrun: Boston Lockdown wasn't that long ago.

Looks more like another Wasteland 2 game to me instead of Fallout. Which isn't a bad thing. Though the emphasis on multiplayer, and building clans does worry me a little.
Don't forget that Fallout Tactics was a multiplayer game as well.
Was it? As I definitely remember playing an offline campaign in Fallout Tactics.

Edit: Seems you could play multiplayer if you wanted to.

Last edited:
They updated their FAQ:
http://www.dustwind.com/about/faq

How will the game will be primarily played?
You will be able to play relaxed Coop matches with a couple of old friends, play just for fun in larger rooms, or play lightning-fast 1v1 Deathmatches, competitive Clanmatches, etc.

There is no one „true“ way to play Dustwind, and you will find the ones you personally prefer really fast. Especially since the map editor will enable anyone owning the game to create their own maps – and with them, new ways to play the game. More information about all of this will follow in a future video update.

Will there be a singleplayer campaign?
While the focus of the game is definitely on multiplayer, a singleplayer campaign is something we also really want to make in case we receive sufficient funds to make it. Since it´s basically almost like creating a whole new game, the funding will have to be way above what we need for „just“ the multiplayer part. Should it come to us being able to produce the SP campaign, we are considering adding a tactical pause feature to it (and also a lot of other cool stuff).

So is this like Wasteland-2, Fallout-1, Fallout-2, etc.?
No. While those amazing games doubtlessly have inspired us a lot, they are turnbased RPGs with a lot of story, exploration, dialogue trees, etc.. They are classic RPGs, and we love them for being what they are.

Dustwind however is much closer to Fallout Tactics played online and in realtime mode, than it is to Fallout-2. For example, we also don´t have a Charisma stat at all. It doesn´t mean you won´t be able to talk to characters in the singleplayer campaign just for the atmosphere and SOME story, but the game is really much more about tactical fighting against other players (or against an AI in cooperative mode), than it is about exploration, story, etc..

So comparing Dustwind to Wasteland-2 or Fallout-1/2 is like comparing apples to oranges, despite all the influences and stylistic similarities. It is just an entirely different gameplay experience and focus.

So I guess I am out :/

Hey guys! screenshot 2 says it can be blayed online OR singleplayer, wich makes me hope the game releases one day. even if it's freakin real-time)

Don't forget that Fallout Tactics was a multiplayer game as well.

Yes, but afaik it was single-player first and it let you choose among real turn-based and continous turn-based.
With Dustwind it looks like the single-player campaign is just the fig leaf to at least not lose all RPG players after the first glance. For me this looks like it's meant to be an MMO first (with all the bad things attached to it, like micros).
But well, we are in the comfortable situation now, that we have so many incredible games to choose from, that I can just skip everything I don't like.
If Dustwind doesn't put real effort into single-player, I'm pretty sure this will go the same way as the Shadowrun MMO (and they weren't allowed to do real single-player because of licence stuff afaik).

Hey guys! screenshot 2 says it can be blayed online OR singleplayer, wich makes me hope the game releases one day. even if it's freakin real-time)

I've already been burned by the multiplayer but with singleplayer option too many times recently not to trust any developer to do what I expect which is release a singleplayer campaign the does not require constant connection to servers.

SimCity did it wrong as did Elite: Dangerous recently with the latter being a kickstarter with a offline sp option in the FAQ. SimCity eventually backtracked and got it in 1 year later but I'd given up by then. As far as I know Elite will never deliver and the promise in KS was not strong enough apparently. Don't trust the KS campaign promises of SP if multiplayer is the primary desired mode of play.

I'm not yet burned by multiplayer games with single player option but I'm out when it comes to RTS. So not interested in this one.

Fantastic graphics and art direction! BUT Real-time?? Bye-bye!! no buy…

Sent them an Email saying same. :)

Will there be a singleplayer campaign?
While the focus of the game is definitely on multiplayer, a singleplayer campaign is something we also really want to make in case we receive sufficient funds to make it.

They don't seem too convinced there'll even be an SP campaign. So yup, count me out too.

Back
Top Bottom