Borderlands - Review Flood #2

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here is a fresh batch of Borderlands reviews:
IGN.AU: 8.8
With so much hoo-hah over the surprise redesign, it's funny to think that this little gem could've easily have slipped under the radar; the gameplay is identical, after all. As it stands, by emulating some RPG standards and reapplying them to the gorgeous setting, Borderlands actually manages to stand out.
Vandal Online: 8.6
It's in Spanish so no clip.
GameTrailers: 8.4
Borderlands is a bit of a grind-fest, but that’s part of the fun, as you take on tougher enemies and hunt for bigger and badder gear. The co-op play is integrated seamlessly, and there’s a huge world to explore with friends or on your own.
Official Xbox Magazine: 8.5
To get the most out of Borderlands’ coop, you need a group of committed players who show up every time and work together to stay at roughly the same level. While that’s a great thing if you can arrange it, it’s also a pretty severe limitation for many gamers.
Official Xbox Magazine UK: 8.0
Yes, Borderlands is much more than the sum of its parts, but unfortunately said parts are only an okay FPS and an okay RPG, both fairly no-frills and functional. It's a roast dinner without gravy followed by an apple pie without custard.
Gamespy: 4/5
The accessible nature of Borderlands -- with its relatively non-punitive deaths, constant checkpoints, and convenient fast-travel systems -- makes it a fantastic game for introducing FPS fans to some basic RPG tropes. And, most importantly, the killing and looting never ceases to be fun.
Gamespot: 8.5
Combat is satisfying, and upgrading your skills and equipment is engaging. The constant stream of loot and experience is rewarding, and sharing it with some friends makes the experience that much richer and more exciting. Despite its hostile (albeit stylish) environment, Pandora is a great planet to visit if you want to shoot some stuff. Just be sure to bring some friends along for the ride. (includes videos)
CVG: 8.5
But overlook-able faults aside, Gearbox has delivered one of meatiest, most wholly satisfying hybrids yet.
More information.

they all seem enthusiastic.

this cyber punk is all the rage and is gonna stay Da Trend for a while.

expect dozens of clones.
________
brunette girl Webcams

Last edited:
Looks like it'll at the very least entertain me for the week or so ''till Dragon Age gets here.

I see mindless fast-paced entertainment. But I don't mind that so much as long as I know that's what I'm getting going in.

But, I think if you don't like twitchy, reflex based shooters, I would not go near this game.

I'd be a lot more interested in seeing a review of the PC version.

Did you see Shacknews' comments?

PC Issues
Though it's easily the best-looking edition of Borderlands, the late-arriving PC edition also falls short, at least in its current form.

At present, voice chat is ridiculously bare bones. You can chat, but that's it. The most basic of features, the ability to turn your microphone off, is missing. There is no way to adjust the booming default volume of another's voice. They can't be muted.

According to Gearbox, that situation should be resolved by an update soon, but there's no word as to exactly when it will arrive and what functionality it will deliver. For a game built around multiplayer, the lack of proper voice chat, or even the ability to disable the microphone in-game and use an external client, represents a ridiculous, glaring and unbelievable oversight.

The PC version of Borderlands is also the only version with an extremely obvious and simple method of duplicating items, which means that those dedicated to cheating certainly will. It will be interesting to see how this affects the online community.

Lastly, it's a bit disappointing that there isn't support for two-player split-screen on the PC.

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1209&page=2

Manjun is right -- this is basically fast-paced co-op shooter. Do not get Borderlands if you do not like that kind of thing. Do not get Borderlands if you are looking for a full-fledged (or even half-fledged) RPG.

Back
Top Bottom