Gothic Brand New to Gothic. Questions on Class/Character Build for Gothic 1

Zakhary, glad you are enjoying it. I used crossbow/bow to back up my fighting skills and you will find that you will need the bow skill sometime later in the game; not crossbow, bow, but I used both consistently.

As for magic, I am not a big user of magic but there are some great uses for support and there is a wonderful thing that I like to callThe Bloodfly Express. ;)

There's no need to actually kill Mud, you can just punch him to the grown, and as he gets back up, tell him that "I'm into such things" and he'll run off.

Yes yes, but that wouldn't be nearly as fun as actually killing him.

I did not want him to run off. I wanted him dead. If this game had not allowed me to do that, I would've propably uninstalled the game by now.

Zakhary have you ever played Fable? It lets you play totally evil!

OT: I am glad you like the game now :)

I've restarted it some weeks ago.

Don't kill people. Just beat them down and take their weapons. The fun thing with Mud is to get him to kill himself. I hated him so much that my second time through the game I never went by where he was, totally avoiding him.

Don't kill people. Just beat them down and take their weapons. The fun thing with Mud is to get him to kill himself. I hated him so much that my second time through the game I never went by where he was, totally avoiding him.

Ummm...

No. Just kill him. Was fun. Avoiding is not fun.
Watching him get up again would not be fun.

. An unofficial texture pack can also be found somewhere.

I hope this isn't too much of a thread necro but I've just started Gothic and was interested in some better textures. I found textures_freddy_0.08 on world of Gothic; is this what you were referring to? Have you used it or has anyone else
tried it? TIA

It has been a long time since I've been able to visit the forum, but I just read this thread and have a comment or four. I'll not add any spoiler type comments or advice though.

First, I envy people getting to play this great game for the first time. I'll never forget my virgin play-thru lol.

Second, the keyboard controls are the best way to play G1, G2, and Notr. It takes a lil while to learn them, but once learned they are near flawless.

Third, we had a rather good thread on the dot about inventive ways to kill Mudd. Some were quite hilarious.

Fourth is YES, freddy's texture patch is worth installing.

Oh, and the best Gothic related advice you'll ever need: Save early, save often, and save in more than one slot.

I also envy you, ahh gothic, got to level 3 before I understood how to learn and improve my char, didn't understand why I just didn't get better with a sword after leveling up:).
also got lost alot, get a map they cost a 100 ore but they are worth it.
hey Wulf, when I beat up lefty with a sword I still get all 3 options,
he says , "ohh man what do you want"
and then you can tell him "how are you my friend" and get "the peaseants look thirsty", I think it was 300xp did you get more for punching him?

No, cptmaxon, its always the same, you've got to ask why should the dev's put two quest dialogue answers (out of three) that both give 300xp? One seems to be a collective trigger and shows up in some other quests types (ie: rewards) - the G1 books are very suggestive not to seek reflected aggression to achieve a quest conclusion, in other words to remain humble and not to assert any overwhelming power influence or bitterness - this suggests not to tell Lefty that *he* must now take water to the peasants - just saying "how are you my friend" completely neutralizes any faction alienating - another deep subject that would take a long time to explain. :)

Hey, sorry but this is my first time playing gothic 1 and It took me 3 days to figure out the controll scheme...or at least I thought it did, my guy is lvl 2 now and I have 20 skill points and cant figure out how to spend them and purchase skills. it's driving me crazy can somone plz help me out here and tell me how to spend skills points for skills???

You should find teachers to teach you skills and stuff.

If my memory serves well one of the first hunters you meet can teach you.

Don't forget Fingers either

And Scatty :)

But IIR correctly, you could get the skills he teaches for free over in the new camp.

Hey, sorry but this is my first time playing gothic 1 and It took me 3 days to figure out the controll scheme...or at least I thought it did, my guy is lvl 2 now and I have 20 skill points and cant figure out how to spend them and purchase skills. it's driving me crazy can somone plz help me out here and tell me how to spend skills points for skills???

Welcome to our forum! :)

Forget about the manual. Download JemyM's FAQ.

The controls are unintuitive, unfortunately, but they're actually pretty good and very fast when they are properly explained. Learning them should take ca. 3 * 5 minutes.

In every camp a couple of NPCs offer to teach you certain skills.

I just started downloading Gothic from GoG. I'm excited after looking thrugh this thread. I envy people who are about to play Bloodlines for the first time, and if I enjoy this as muh as that, I'll be one happy gamer!

So far I hate it, sorry to say. The controlls are just that bad. I can't seem to skip dialouge, and I hate it when the PC is voiced (and not initially customizable). Who thought it would make sense to have the 'action' key need to be pressed in conjunction with the forwards key for it to do anything?

It doesn't just feel clunky, and it doesn't just feel like a control scheme designed by people who didn't really know what they were doing, it feels more like they were actually trying to make it difficult.

I'll stick it out for a bit longer, because the idea of the colony and its three factions is really appealing, and I still think that once I get the hang of the controls there might be a great game lurking... but.. geez, if this game didn't come highly reccomended I would have deleted it after about 10 minutes.

And to make it worse, alt-tab doesn't work!! WTF? I have to save and quit to consult the manual or JemmyM's guide.

Did they fix all this stuff fo Gothic 2? Because I'm really tempted to play that first. Oh well, on the plus side it makes the NWN2 interface and controls seem like a masterpiece, or possibly even WoW.

Back
Top Bottom