Dead State - Interview @ PC Gamer

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
PC Gamer interviewed Brian Mitsoda on Dead State, talking about several aspects of the game, including their kickstarter adventure.
PC Gamer: Your Kickstarter campaign has been very successful. How does the reality compare to what you expected at the start?
Brian Mitsoda: We’re kind of following the normal Kickstarter trend right now. We started really big and that was really very exciting. It’s been kind of dropping off in the middle, which it generally does. The expectations are that we’re pretty sure we’re going to get funded. Our biggest goal right now is to hit the 150 mark which, if you’ve watched any of the other Kickstarters, a lot of times that’s when a bunch of other people will be like, “Oh, it’s funded. Let’s go fund that now.” And then, of course, you’ve got a huge push at the end generally.
Really, the hardest part for us has been that there’s been a bit of Kickstarter fatigue in the press lately. For a lot of press, they’re like, “Oh, yeah, Kickstarter. That was really big… back in April.”
The other thing that’s kind of worked against us is that we have zombies in our game. And I don’t know if you’re aware, but there are a lot of games that use zombies. And so we’ve kind of tried to deal with this problem of, “Oh, look, another zombie game!” And one of the things we’ve tried to get across to people and the press is that the zombies really are not the major focus of the game. It’s really just an excuse to have an interesting combat mechanic and explain why the whole world has fallen apart: “Well, the zombies have kind of pushed it in that direction, but let’s focus on the humans.”
Thanks Jonathan.
More information.

Nah, the "Save One for Yourself" thing is a good idea, though a bit pricey. They've less than $4K to go before hitting their goal as I write this.

I'm glad they're going to have a successful Kickstarter, though it hasn't been a runaway hit like several others. Not sure why. I still don't have a very good idea what The Banner Saga is going to be like. Maybe they should've found some guy who got canned when EA bought out Bioware and stuck him in front of a camera to get more cash. :p

Some Music

Needs a lot of polishing of course but I can definitely see where they are going atmosphere wise and Like it. I would like some brooding themes for the outside world though So I hope track #3 is not definitely representative of the mood there (doubt it)...

Would have been so nice if they got the money for live instruments (double doubt it)...

Some Music

Needs a lot of polishing of course but I can definitely see where they are going atmosphere wise and Like it. I would like some brooding themes for the outside world though So I hope track #3 is not definitely representative of the mood there (doubt it)…

Would have been so nice if they got the money for live instruments (double doubt it)…

The third one is a combat soundtrack. I am sure ambient soundtracks will be more brooding/creepy and quieter.

Interview with the composer:
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2773.0.html

The third one is a combat soundtrack.

That is what I figured to be honest. The Kickstarter e-mail described a music more to my expectations for the outside (If I get him right) a sample would have been nice but I can wait :)

Maybe somebody needs to throw an Andromeda Strain/The Thing-style explanation into the zombification mix? An extraterrestrial source would allow for more variety in the zombies and consequent effects.

Back
Top Bottom