Ago of Conan for Free?

Bateman

Watchdog
RPGWatch Donor
I just noticed that you can actually play AoC for free, for as long as you want. Only minor restrictions, it seems:

Please note that trial accounts have several restrictions placed upon them. Characters on trial accounts are unable to trade with other players, have limited access to chat channels, are unable to post on forums, and cannot send in-game mail.

Does anyone have an idea how much this will affect gameplay? E.g. do you need communication to form a party in order to do quests? Is player-trading really necessary, or can you also trade with merchants?

So if I want to play this as a single-player, without all the "social stuff", just exploring and leveling up my character, does that makle sense? I'm really interested in opinions from people who know the game, esp. in those who have tested the "free version" themselves.

And please refrain from giving valuable opinions like "an MMORPG makes no sense if you want to play alone" or "it will be boring if you can't communicate with Serbian teenagers and if you can't 'LOL' with them". Thanks!

I think, if I recall correctly, you're capped to level 20 for the trial, A.K.A the Korthos island tutorial.

all the original restrictions are moot, but if the max level is 20 then yes, that's a stopper

Right, it's only the Tortage Island (which is rather tiny compared to the whole world). I knew there must be a snag...

World-Map.jpg

It's also, by far, the best part of the game. Tortage is quite possibly the best start of an MMO I've ever seen - it's incredible. It's also why AoC got incredibly high scores all over the internet at launch and a million users, but then lost most of the players (80-90%ish).

From what I know, the game is actually very good now (after the add-on), but I know of very few that are few willing to give it a 2nd chance. A shame really.

Haha, yeah, I think Korthos is DDO's island… too many MMO tutorial zone names rolling around in my head.
Correct you are! Korthos belongs to DDO.

Back
Top Bottom