"Guild Wars 2 closed beta by end of year"

I'll check this out when I get the chance. It would be nice to compare the hype to reality.

I have been following GW2 on and off. It looks very pretty but there are some things I am not keen on, for example you will be levelled *down* when you participate in dynamic even that is not of your level. If they are going to do that, then why have levels?

Challenge. The novelty of running around in god mode wears off right quick.

City of Heroes does this auto-leveling fantastically well these days. Gone are the days of having to find a group with the precise level range opening, or not being able to easily participate in an event if you're too low or too high.

I've been looking forward to GW2 for so very long. Don't much care for SWTOR or any other MMO at this point. I just hope that their design for the game doesn't make micro-transactions obnoxiously obtrusive.

why have levels then? why not get rid of levels?

I am all for challenge but reducing your level seem artificial challenge to me.

why have levels then? why not get rid of levels?

I am all for challenge but reducing your level seem artificial challenge to me.
If they don't level you down for them then they are going to have to ban you from them. They can't have level 40's wandering through a level 15 zone event one-shotting everything in sight. This way your high level character can PARTICIPATE in the events rather than ruining them for everybody. If you don't want to get your character auto-nerfed for the event then stay with events designed for you but, if you've got a friend that's new to the game, this will allow you to play together without having to roll up a special character just for that purpose. The "lockstep level or lose your friends" rule is finally dying.

City of Heroes actually has 'level neutral' enemies for zone events but zone events there are more of a novelty - just fun little things that happen from time to time and give everyone a chance pile in on a big furball of super powers. In GW2 the zone events are going to be a way of life so they will need to be a lot more careful about balance.

If they don't level you down for them then they are going to have to ban you from them. They can't have level 40's wandering through a level 15 zone event one-shotting everything in sight. This way your high level character can PARTICIPATE in the events rather than ruining them for everybody. If you don't want to get your character auto-nerfed for the event then stay with events designed for you but, if you've got a friend that's new to the game, this will allow you to play together without having to roll up a special character just for that purpose. The "lockstep level or lose your friends" rule is finally dying.

City of Heroes actually has 'level neutral' enemies for zone events but zone events there are more of a novelty - just fun little things that happen from time to time and give everyone a chance pile in on a big furball of super powers. In GW2 the zone events are going to be a way of life so they will need to be a lot more careful about balance.

I understand why they have to level you down but that's not my point. My point is, its bad design. I think they should get rid of levels…

Its one thing if *you choose* to level down so that you can play with your friends but the game forcing you is another thing...

I'm pretty sure you would be choosing. You aren't likely to stumble into a low level event unless you're hanging around in a low level area.

As for getting rid of levels - even if they do, they won't. Instead you'll have scores of skills that each have a level.

I like it the way it is, I love levels, and I like that I can play out-of-level content and it still providing a challenge.

Not much news in the way of this beta so I had been wondering if it had been pushed back (again). Found this via reddit:

We will officially enter Closed Beta Testing this Friday [12/16/11]. It will be marked with an increase in our pool of testers. To clarify, this phase of testing is still under NDA and is not open to the public.

Based on the feedback we get from our current Closed Beta Testing, we will determine the next phases of our beta program in which we will open beta access to more people.

Old news, but news to me... finally!

I can! I've got game overload already! Maybe this coming Christmas...

It's the Year of the Dragon!

No release date yet, but if they are already giving the press beta time it means they want to ramp up the marketing and the game isn't far away anymore.

Woot!

Open beta in march
So, this means what? Game in April or May?
Not excited yet, but it should be fun eventually, they have been working on it for 5 years

I am so stoked for this!!!!

I like how they are designing it to be very different from the run-of-the-mill MMORPGs

Back
Top Bottom