Age of Conan

zakhal

SasqWatch
Checkout this video on char creation and combat:
http://media.pc.ign.com/media/743/743392/vid_1513724.html

Finally twitchy combat in a (fantasy) mmog! (gothic style?) Been a regular pvp-mmog AoC includes city building & sieges etc. This is the only mmog besides ww2ol I might be interested. Release next fall. Beta is allready starting.

Last edited:
It says the page isnt there.

Thanks for the link! Good video. I'm buying Age of Conan in approx October too.

Been looking forward to this for a long time, and I will most likely try it as soon as possible. As far as I know, defensive actions are automated, but all offensive skills are completely controlled.

Here's the best site for Age of Conan information, the fanmade wiki:
http://www.wikiaoc.com/

The combat looks fancy. I would give this game a try, but I am sure I will suck in fighting, lol

Practice makes perfect. Keep in mind that the most hardcore MMO players play 100-150 hours every week, and when you play that much, you will naturally become better than people playing only 10% as much. It all depends on what you expect: If you accept the fact that the most hardcore will always beat you, you can enjoy a game even if you won't win all fights, but if you (like too many) expect to win 90% of the fights you enter, despite playing far less than your opponents, you'll start whining about balance issues, combat being too difficult and so on and so forth.

All in all, everyone sucks on day 1, it all depends how much you're willing to put into becoming good. That goes for you, like everyone else. :)

Big update from demo event ( http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=23366 ) :

New Videos
Caravan-Quest at the RPC
Gameplay 1 (Fights) (Alternative-Link)
Gameplay 2 (Horseriding) (Alternative-Link)
Gameplay 3 (Enjoy the lands) (Alternative-Link)
Gameplay 4 (Welcome to the arena) (Alternative-Link)
Gameplay 5 (Fight with Snakes) (Alternative-Link)
Gameplay 6 (First Person) (Alternative Link)
Gameplay 7 (Mage) (Alternative-Link)
Gameplay 8 (Warrior) (Alternative-Link)
Gameplay 9 (Warrior in Action) (Alternative-Link)
( Videos by youtube ) (all 9 videos as one)

Buff-Video
Magic in use and dying

Stygia far away
Game Intro
Fight against two ne mobs, Intro
Fight against two new mobs
Lady creation
Fight against Yeti

Magic-Targeting-System
Crocodil-Quest in full lengh (and english explainations)
Part II of the Crocodilquest
Female-Creation
Jungle-Walking (Startarea, english)

Bridgefight
Caravanquest with Dev-Comment
Caravan under attack, Yeti
Maps, Fly-by etc.
Character Creation male, Starting area
Character Creation male, Starting areaII

Tortage-fly-through
Tortage-fly-through II
Khemi Citytours

The attack of the monkeys...
Fist Figthing

AoC live on stage
AoC-Interview by Gamona

Screenshots
Tarib and our staff (Tarib is at the left, the "Pirate")
LordOrion
LordOrion 2
LordOrion 3
LordOrion 4
LordOrion and Tarib with the Buffed.de-Teammate
Interview with LordOrion
Interview with LordOrion 2
Interview with LordOrion 3
AoC@Buffed.de
AoC@Buffed.de 2
AoC@Buffed.de 3
Eidos and Funcom
Eidos and Funcom 2
Eidos and Funcom 3
Eidos and Funcom 4
Eidos and Funcom 5
Eidos and Funcom 6
Eidos and Funcom 7
Funcom at the RPC
Caravan-Quest in Action
Character-Creation, random...
Gameplay

Tarib in Action
Tarib in Action II
AoC live on stage
AoC live on stage II
AoC live on stage III
AoC live on stage IV
AoC live on stage V

Mitrapriest in Action
Mitrapriest in Action 2
Mitrapriest in Action 3
Mitrapriest in Action 4

Our own RPC-Screenshot-Gallery (big!)

Last edited:
Reports
RPC Impressions(yes i was there =)
RPC Article in german
More RPC impressions
PCGames with interview (german)
Gamigo report (german)
Looki Report (german)
Onlinewelten (german)
RPC-Interview by AoC-Gamona (german)

New Infos
* destructible Objects, for example a gate that shut of another area. You couldn't open it in a conventional way but had to smash it with your Sword instead
*You need to exploit the AIs weak spots to do lots of Damage , for example when fighting a guy with a shield his shield glows green indicating that its a "protected" spot so you need to hit some other body part(which is coloured red) , for example his weapon Arm.
But the AI is smart ! they will realize you`re exploiting their weak Spot and switch Shield and Weapon
*The mobs even fight each other
*There will be plenty of Unique mobs that drop better than average loot and have a longer Spawntimer
*Building battlekeeps will need the Guildmaster (might be officers too but i didnt ask) to have the Architect Feat.
*You will be able to choose predefined Buildings and place them as you see fit , so you can shape the actual Layout of your BK but you will not be able to design Buildings.
*Enemies on your level will need between 3 - 8 hits to die, normaly
*Quests are sometimes redoable, for example the caravan-quest
*Questobjects are shown at the minimap, so you know where to go
*Mobs are needed for crafting, for example crocodils for ther skins
*Attributes changes automatical with levelup
*The first selfplayable version of AoC will perhaps be presented at the GamesConvention
*At the RPC Funcom presented the old GamesDeveloperConference-Client, with an 21display and 1600 x resolution
*Swimming is implemented though no underwater quests are in for the moment, it s solely for traveling purposes
*There will be different types of horses hence various speeds, defense, etc. They will take damage and it will be possible to equip them with additional armour as well.

Show-PC
Intel Core2Duo E6600 @ 2,40GHz
2GB Ram
nvidia 8800GTX
Windows Vista
DX9-Client
works very good @ 1600*1200 with High Settings.

Last edited:
I'm going to give it a try, but from what I have seen it the videos, I'm not too sure the combat will be all that great. Apparently, the game has an automatic block system (like Morrowind); If thats true, it will suck probably. Also, in the video when he was fighting numerous bandits, he just ran in there and started swinging---That seemed to be lame, and it implies a click-fest/button-mashing sort of game. Thats just my initial opinion. When I play it, it could change. Its just that the videos of combat didn't seem so unique.

I'm going to give it a try, but from what I have seen it the videos, I'm not too sure the combat will be all that great. Apparently, the game has an automatic block system (like Morrowind); If thats true, it will suck probably. Also, in the video when he was fighting numerous bandits, he just ran in there and started swinging---That seemed to be lame, and it implies a click-fest/button-mashing sort of game. Thats just my initial opinion. When I play it, it could change. Its just that the videos of combat didn't seem so unique.

It takes only 3-8 hits kill an enemy on your level. Hardly a clickfest. Also its not just hack & slash you need to look for weakspots in the enemy.

*You need to exploit the AIs weak spots to do lots of Damage , for example when fighting a guy with a shield his shield glows green indicating that its a "protected" spot so you need to hit some other body part(which is coloured red) , for example his weapon Arm.

Alltogether its way better than the autotarget fighting in current mmogs. Not to mention FPS style archery and the horse fights including jousting.

Thanks a lot for the links! I plan on buying it for sure. I really enjoyed the videos.

Good thing I bought a new video card... 256mb

All this info is great too.

Question: Compared with, say, Vanguard, does the character customization have more options in Age of Conan? Also will we be able to have characters with really long hair? Ive always wanted a slider that adjusts hair length to what we want. Just wondering if its in Conan, since Conan supposed to have really good customizable options at char creation screen.

edit -- holy crap! I saw on one of those videos, theres a million freaken sliders !!!

Sweet!

edit2 -- uhhhh. Why were all the girls bald? lol

Practice makes perfect. Keep in mind that the most hardcore MMO players play 100-150 hours every week, and when you play that much, you will naturally become better than people playing only 10% as much. It all depends on what you expect: If you accept the fact that the most hardcore will always beat you, you can enjoy a game even if you won't win all fights, but if you (like too many) expect to win 90% of the fights you enter, despite playing far less than your opponents, you'll start whining about balance issues, combat being too difficult and so on and so forth.

All in all, everyone sucks on day 1, it all depends how much you're willing to put into becoming good. That goes for you, like everyone else. :)

150 hours a week? This makes more than 20 hours a day, I certainly can't afford to play that much :(
Anyway, thanks for the encouragement :)

Back
Top Bottom