Might & Magic X - Now Available

likely performance is terrible during beta's because of the debug info being generated on the backend to help troubleshooting issues. just something to expect whenever you opt in for that kind of stuff.

Well it seems like waiting for a few patches will serve me well. Blackguards has me enthralled anyways. Yay! I saved the new maiden at the ritual. That was a real bitch. Hardest (not most tedious) fight yet.

I just finished the first dungeon and killed the spider queen. Party also lvled up to 2nd. So far it really has the feeling of the M&M games and I am enjoying it. A lot of choices for your characters to make with stats and skills. Also, seems to be a lot of items which every M&M game needs.

I have not encountered any bugs yet and the performance seems good. Only have played about 2 hours though. I am looking forward to playing again and I have to say that it is meeting my expectations.

But my wife says I am easily entertained. :)

Sounds promising, Hastar. The M&M series has always charmed me in a way that other games have not, and if this is similar to the old games I'll no doubt enjoy it a lot :)

43 years old, bought MM 1 2 and 3 off a shelf in a mall so have some history with these types of games. Also love Skyrim so can appreciate advances in gaming as well.

It is very old school and in a good way. Here are some gameplay tidbits.
-You don't auto-regain health/mana
-No party order. Mobs will no attack "tanks" reliably
-You need to plan each fight
-No glowing quest markers, have to read dialogue to know where to go
-Movement is auto mapped on grid paper (Yay! A nice modernization of an old tactic)

As mentioned, you can't just auto attack your way through. You have to plan your attack and skill use order and you can die very easily. I got poisoned from a spider and died walking to find a cure.

Really enjoying it.

On one hand:
- huge backlog
- don't like the stilted movement from previews
- Hate UPlay

And, on the other:
- I want to support the developers

Blah =/

The movement has improved a lot, I would check videos of the final release if you can find them or try a demo.

Hey! This game is just fine!

The movement seems to be fixed compared to the Early access. My earlier complaint about balance seems to be fixed. Running Blade Dancer-Crusader-Freemage and Scout and I have not run into any problems yet. The mage is still using a lot of mana pots though.
Other people reported running into issues with steam but my game updated it self while I was at work. I just noticed I have been here enthralled for about 3 hrs.
Don't miss it guys-this MM is a gem!

I agree with Hastar and Redman; at least for the first town and dungeon. Party creation feels like the crpgs of old, walking is like MM1-5, lots of loot that is randomized.

Mini-spoilers:

I played the first dungeon with two parties and got different stuff both times, etc. It feels a lot like Xeen, to be honest. Druid is devastating against Spiders with her ice/water spell. Freemage can bounce 'em back out of melee and one of my tanks can force aggro. I went with Shield Dwarf, Druid, Freemage, and Crusader. Might swap out for more magic and less might, but we'll see. Didn't find any secret doors in the spider lair, but don't really have that skill and the scroll was kinda expensive.

The movement has improved a lot, I would check videos of the final release if you can find them or try a demo.

This. I watched a live let's play on Twitch and I can confirm the movement is much smoother. I may be picking this up in a few weeks.

I'm playing an all magic party; 2 freemages and 2 druids. Interesting!! :)

There are some more subtle things which I am really liking about the game. It seems to be more tactical based on encounter makeup and the environment. My vague memories of the old Might and Magic games were of blundering into an area and slaughtering everything in sight. So, to me, it appear to be less fighting hordes of monsters and more thinking from an encounter perspective.

Back log - shmack log
You can't possibly be a real gamer unless you got one. Sheez, I just bought 8 games yesterday for a total of 5 bucks (thank you humble bumble and steam sale).

I hate Uplay, but since I got a couple games on that thing, I'll probably get M&M . . . shortly. For Might & Magic is my favorite CRPG franchise. So Haster, keep up those action reports, you got me interested.

Learning the hard way to save before I enter any dungeon. Ouch! learning to hate the sight of death.

Just some tips along the way:
Make sure you don't kill any enemy when one of your members is knocked out as he wont get any XP. This also is true for stuns.
Get prime magic to expert fast. That way you can identify items and save lots of money.
First spell you need to buy is earth - regrowth. Much easier from there on.
Make sure you have a fire caster in the group to learn burning determination. Useful spell against enemies with heavy stuns/paralize.
In the first levels push vitality, especially for the caster which might seem a little counter intuitive but is necessary due to the missing aggro and positioning system.

hey, its still got to be better than Might and Magic IX

Careful now. That game should not be metioned in polite and educated societies. Fear the wrath of dte!!!

pibbur who must confess that he actually finished said unmentional game and agrees with the lucky day.

Did the first wilderness area and the lighthouse last night. No bugs yet and my only complaint is the loading time when entering and leaving new areas. It is not too bad but you do have to wait.

I like the battles so far and the item and gold drops seem about right. It is not monty hall loot so far and I like that. Do a dungeon and you go back to town and can buy an item or 2. Have to save up to buy some spells also. I always liked RPG's that made you work for items and gold.

Party lvled up to 3rd and so far the exp point gain seems about right. I do not like games where you lvl every few fights so this is nice. Game really has the feeling of the carrot on a stick where you can't wait to get a new lvl and items.

Only other complaint is monster variety where you only fight one type of creature in a dungeon but this may change. Starter dungeon was all spiders and a spider queen. Lighthouse is all nagas so far. I am not done with the lighthouse yet.

Back
Top Bottom