Android phones

Yeah Thrasher, I can read. Apple sold the most phones in the last three months.

That might actually mean something if it was relevant to what I said. Let us know when Apple takes over the market share, ok?

Sorry, I just can't resisit when some "nuts" ( kidding, anyone have the right to like any phone which suit them the best ) say in a thread like this how they bought iphones instead, and even claim they are better. I'll refrain from the debate and ruin the thread.
Thanks for refraining. I obviously prefer Android, thats why I made the thread. But I've found discussions of what platform is superior just go on forever. I have my opinion and preference on it but I can also understand that iPhone serves some people well and that's what they prefer.

Personally, I don't care about iPhone because I've already made my choice.

Market share in the last three months is as current as it gets. I suppose you can ignore the title if you want. The data in the article itself is ambiguous though. There doesn't seem to be a good source for statistics, oddly enough.

Market share in the last three months is as current as it gets. I suppose you can ignore the title if you want. The data in the article itself is ambiguous though. There doesn't seem to be a good source for statistics, oddly enough.

There's actually a lot of statistics out there. You just won't find any to support what you are saying.

@JDR13 is 100% correct. Android currently holds 51% of the market. Apple has seen a 7% increase in market share in the past 3 months. (from 30% to 37) In that same time though android has seen a 5% increase in market share.( 46% to 51%) With rim and window mobile losing market share.

Here are 2 articles to support that and if you search google for "bigger market share android or ios" you will find endless articles on it. Doesn't mean apple is bad just that they don't have more market share than android.

http://www.neowin.net/news/iphone-4s-launch-takes-some-of-androids-market-share

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/14/shocker-android-grew-us-market-share-after-q2-ios-was-static/

Well that data contradicts the title of the article I quoted. There seems to misinformation in the press. Imagine that.

Well, whoever is right, it seems that iOS is trending up in a big way.

Egad ... this is a discussion about ANDROID PHONES. Can the iOS zealots take it to another church? We have a page of wasted space.

Well that data contradicts the title of the article I quoted. There seems to misinformation in the press. Imagine that.

Well, whoever is right, it seems that iOS is trending up in a big way.

Really your article clearly states.

"Overall, smartphone sales in the U.S. are 47 percent Android and around 30 percent Apple"

That mirrored the info in one of the articles I linked. All 3 articles including yours say the same thing. I would think you were trolling but I've read many of your post and you don't seem like that kind of person.

I can only assume you are so blinded by some weird allegiance to apple that you refuse to see the truth even when it's written in front of you.

It is possible to sell more phones in a 3 month period and still not have sold more phones overall. Not sure why you can't understand that. If only that were written in a title somewhere would could all agree.

I saw of engadget that the S3 is probably not too far off so it may be worth waiting for it you haven't picked it up yet.

Ok, there's no making sense out of nonsense. I guess @JDR13 was 100% correct twice in this thread. I should have let it go as he did.

My apologies to the op for getting off topic. My fault for taking the bait. I'm still learning about everyone here and this exchange was very enlightening.

I saw of engadget that the S3 is probably not too far off so it may be worth waiting for it you haven't picked it up yet.

The problem with that is the vastly staggered releases. If I am paying top dollar for a phone I want it to be 'new'. The S2 is a 'April 2011' phone, yet in the US it came out in late October. Most phones THAT old were already down to $150 at most, and many much lower ...

Yes, I see that problem as well mike. While the S2 is still the best phone on the market, it costs as a new phone in the US while in reality it is not new anymore.

Besides it could be good to get the 4g version, even if not necessary now, to make it future proof.

As far as build quality go, I think Samsung really focuses on light and slim, for me that is perfect, and they don't break that easily but.... I do agree about the build quality though.

The problem with that is the vastly staggered releases. If I am paying top dollar for a phone I want it to be 'new'. The S2 is a 'April 2011' phone, yet in the US it came out in late October. Most phones THAT old were already down to $150 at most, and many much lower …

There was nothing in that price range that had a comparable feature set though.

There was nothing in that price range that had a comparable feature set though.

Dual core 4G phones? There were about 20 of them from Moto, HTC and so on ... of course they were all crap, whereas the S2 was pretty decent (though a legally proven iPhone clone). And it launched the same week as the Galaxy Nexus was introduced - so it was immediately outdated upon launch. And the Droid Razr came out within a week or two, making it clearly 'last gen'. The fact that it manages to do well is a testament to the solid foundation Samsung built.

Here in Denmark, the S2 was the absolute best phone for the price upon release. I helped my GF by researching exhaustively - and no other phone came close to that feature set for the price.

The iPhone 4, being an inferior phone in most ways, was ~50% more expensive regardless of plan/no-plan options - for instance. The iPhone 4 was the only alternative in terms of the features she really wanted - and it just didn't come close.

Investing that kind of money in any smartphone is not for me, but there's no doubt I'd look at Samsung first if I ever get that urge.

Then again, these things change all the time. It's almost impossible to keep up - unless you read about them every day.

And it launched the same week as the Galaxy Nexus was introduced - so it was immediately outdated upon launch. And the Droid Razr came out within a week or two, making it clearly 'last gen'. The fact that it manages to do well is a testament to the solid foundation Samsung built.

I'm not sure why you would think the Galaxy Nexus makes the S2 outdated. It's only marginally better in most aspects and cost about $150 more.

As far as the Droid Razr is concerned, it's very comparable to the S2 feature-wise, but it's only available to Verizon customers, which makes it a non-option for about 75% of the market.

I'm not sure why you would think the Galaxy Nexus makes the S2 outdated. It's only marginally better in most aspects and cost about $150 more.

Well, when you think about the following:
- Nexus is THE Google Phone, therefore it is the de facto 'top of the line'
- A company can only have ONE top of the line phone at a time
- The S2 uses 'last year's' OS.
- The S2 uses a physically derivative design whereas the Nexus is actually not a clone of someone else's design.

It is hard to see why someone would NOT see it as outdated. Verizon is the #1 carrier, with ~50% of smartphone share, so it isn't like it is a niche market - their Android share is pretty much as much as everyone else combined.

Of course, the S2 is ultimately a better phone as it is STILL the performance standard against which everything is measured.

Well, when you think about the following:
- Nexus is THE Google Phone, therefore it is the de facto 'top of the line'
- A company can only have ONE top of the line phone at a time
- The S2 uses 'last year's' OS.
- The S2 uses a physically derivative design whereas the Nexus is actually not a clone of someone else's design..

I can't tell if you're being serious with that bit about "THE Google Phone" meaning it's top of the line. I'll assume there's some sarcasm there.

Samsung is about to release a firmware update to ugrade the OS to 4.0, so that's a non-issue.

It is hard to see why someone would NOT see it as outdated. Verizon is the #1 carrier, with ~50% of smartphone share, so it isn't like it is a niche market - their Android share is pretty much as much as everyone else combined.

First of all, AT&T is the #1 carrier now, not Verizon. Even if Verizon does have 50% of the Android market, that's still means a phone that's exclusive to them is only an option for 1/2 the market.

Back
Top Bottom