Dragon Commander - Steam Sale

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Divinity Dragon Commander is 66% off on Steam during the weekend. For this Larian's Forktong also tweeted this video on selecting your bride in Dragon Commander, which you might find funny (or not, depending on what you think is funny).

More information.

Last edited:
maybe post patches this game is better now, but it barely held my attention for an hour. just seems too disjointed.

I finished it 3 days ago. Great game, extremely fun with excellent writing.
It might be a jack of all trades but I loved every part of it.
It never goes in depth of any of the mechanics but it's well made and plays good.

Yep, definitely a more than the sum of its parts kinda game.

But you really have to enjoy the humor/writing and the CnC to get into it (I did, very much).

I wonder if they tweaked the Risk like strategy layer a bit (doubt it. I've seen no patches). The AI really needed to be a bit more intelligent and aggressive imho...

I got a bit bored of the game, was fun for a while though.

Daniel.

I wonder if they tweaked the Risk like strategy layer a bit (doubt it. I've seen no patches). The AI really needed to be a bit more intelligent and aggressive imho…

The game had many patches. Check their page on Steam for example. I found the A.I. competent enough on the higher difficulties, I'm not an experienced RTS/RISK player though.

Hmm I wonder if I had the autoupdate disabled or something. Although its probable that most of them happened before or after I installed/uninstalled. I see the October patch has some difficulty rebalancing. I wonder if its upwards or downwards…
(The "AI fixes for better expansion" sounds promising i.e.)

I really don't like RTS. And I suck at 'em.
Got this one on the D:OS kickstarter, just because I saw the plot branches in the dev videos. So I said, OK, I'll give it a chance.
Then, I started to play, and I got pummeled. And again, and again. Yeah. No shame in using "very easy mode". Just using the dragon was enough.
I enjoyed the story, the weird choices that I had to make. The odd reactions of my generals and ambassadors. And the princess, my lovely Ophelia.
As far I can tell, the game is pretty much content cut. If you played, or know the Divinity series, surely will remember there are 3 more races, the orcs, the mages and the imps. No ambassadors, no princesses of those factions.
The game feels somewhat incomplete, still is very fun. I guess the project was too ambitious for Larian, they run out of time and/or money and/or ideas.

Music.
The music from Mr. Pokrovsky is still amazing. Some pieces are remarkable, "The Royal Chamber", "The Dead of Night", "Bloodmoon", among others belongs to the 'Divine Divinity' style. Other like "Dragon Armies March" (title theme), "Afterburner", "Soaring High", "March to War", belongs to a more epic-moviesque style.
We also have a magical piano reprise of the "unofficial" Divinity 2 main theme "Sentry Island" called "The Princess and the Dragon".

As far I can tell, the game is pretty much content cut. If you played, or know the Divinity series, surely will remember there are 3 more races, the orcs, the mages and the imps. No ambassadors, no princesses of those factions.The game feels somewhat incomplete, still is very fun. I guess the project was too ambitious for Larian, they run out of time and/or money and/or ideas.

Yes content was cut from the game due to time, and funding. If you bought the Imperial Edition it has the concept art, and charts that describe what was cut. This is common for all of Larians released games.
Hello Imperial Edition owners,

In this folder, for your viewing pleasure, are some files that show you some the process of creating Divinity: Dragon Commander.

You will find concept art and documents of ideas that may not have made it to the final game. Yes, at one point, the different types of dragons belonged to a certain race. Yes, there once was an Imp Princess. There were a couple of Generals we had to choose from eventually, and in the concept art folder you will see some of these "darlings" that we had to "kill". Yes, the faction arcs have changed since that document was written.

You will, hopefully, see the progress that was made from one idea to the next,
and the iterations that were done over stories, graphics and gameplay.

That means that part of these files will be a spoiler. But not all that is in the
documents is necessarily in the game. Stories and arcs change, upgrades and skills change. That is the way of game development. Sometimes for the better…

Sincerely,
Larian Studios
Update: This doesn't mean the final product is bad because the original version was cut short. I recommend everyone should at least try the game as it might just surprise you.

Last edited:
Yes a huge amount of content was cut from the game due to time, and funding. If you bought the Imperial Edition it has the concept art, and charts that describe what was cut. This is common for all of Larians released games.

Well, maybe if D:OS succeeds, they eventually make a Dragon Commander sequel. They can even kickstarter it. I know that Sven is a great fan of the C&C series, so I will abandon all hope to see this game played as a "Fantasy General"/"Fantasy Wars"/"Elven Legacy"...

As far I can tell, the game is pretty much content cut. If you played, or know the Divinity series, surely will remember there are 3 more races, the orcs, the mages and the imps. No ambassadors, no princesses of those factions.

Mages are in the game (Maxos?), Imps are also in with some of the best units and a great ambassador. Orcs are a little more than an animal at this time in the lore, this is why they are missing. There is a running joke about Lizards being aquatic orcs. Remember, Dragon Commander takes place thousand of years before Divinity 1.

Mages are in the game (Maxos?), Imps are also in with some of the best units and a great ambassador. Orcs are a little more than an animal at this time in the lore, this is why they are missing. There is a running joke about Lizards being aquatic orcs. Remember, Dragon Commander takes place thousand of years before Divinity 1.

Sorry I forgot about the Imp Ambassador.
Maxos is there, but it's just him. He's more and advisor. He don't even say he is representing the mages or anything. About the orcs, it's more a convenient excuse to cut them out. But still it was their creation, so if they decided the orcs not to be civilized at that time, so be it.

Back
Top Bottom