Eschalon: Book 1 - Review @ Scorpia's Lair

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Scorpia has the first full review of Eschalon we've seen. As usual for her site there's no score but the text is quite positive apart from some criticism of the class system and certain balance issues:
Unlike many games today, the world is not linear. For example, in Neverwinter 2, locations showed only when you learned about them in some way, and so travel was very restricted. Eschalon is more like Oblivion, where you can start walking in any direction, without waiting for someone to tell you about an area.
Going some places too soon, however, can get you killed. Unlike Oblivion, monsters do not scale to your level. So it’s entirely possible for you to wander into an area you’re not strong enough to handle yet.
One thing not seen much in games lately is the puzzle. Eschalon does have some puzzles strewn through the dungeons, though none are particularly difficult, and most have clues nearby. Still, a nice touch.
More information.

A first rate review and I agree with everything she wrote!!

Only disagree on one point really and that is the cats eye spell being useless...I used this alot witha torch....worked wonders.

As pointed out by one of her readers, you can enchant an item for damage and THAC0.

While she was a little harsh on some points and probably a little easy on others, I think overall it was a fair and reasonably complete review.

Disagree with her comments on darkness. I think Tom nailed that aspect. Plus, I use Cat's Eyes for an advantage over my opponents on a regular basis.

Also, totally disagree with replay value from the character build perspective. While she's right that you can technically build a generalist from any class (i.e. you're not forced down a certain path), that's not the point. If you choose to actually "play" a rogue, mage, ranger or fighter, they gameplay is very differently, class to class.

Last edited:
Seems like a very fair and detailed review. I haven't played the game, but from the demo I have to say she seems to have nailed the many strong points as well as the several weak points. I agree completely on the darkness--waaay too dark many times for me to distinguish the finer points--and the no-zoom automap with an almost invisible dot for your character...but as a whole, it's a significant achievement for a small developer.

Come on Magerette get out there and play the whole game, support the little guy;)

I agree completely on the darkness--waaay too dark many times for me to distinguish the finer points--

Magerette! That's the whole point! It's supposed to be dark and scary and hard to see where you are and what's coming at you. That's fun. :) At least for me. I don't think I've played another game that made such good use of darkness in a gameplay sense.

If you've got a non-integrated graphics card (e.g. ATI or NVidia), they'll usually allow you to up the gamma on your monitor via their control panel software. If you're playing on an older laptop (>2 yrs), that will help.

chamr wrote
Magerette! That's the whole point! It's supposed to be dark and scary and hard to see where you are and what's coming at you.
Yes, but that makes it just like real life! ;)

And I do need to get this game and play the whole thing--I've just kind of exceeded my game allowance atm. After Christmas it's on my list, rune_74.

Outstanding I'm like one of those creepy fanboys that keep pushing this game because its making the games I want to play and if they don't get the support I don't get my games:(

While I don't generally like dark games, because I have very poor night vision and can't see much of anything in the dark, it does fit well with this game. For example, I had just killed the Queen Bee and was down to my last torch. I was terrified of it going out and being forced to find my way out in the dark. That's what this game is all about!! :)

Torché! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Getting out with your last torch still burning is GOOD torch management in my book!! :) Now I have a spell and a lantern!!

Back
Top Bottom