Precursors - Interview @ GameZone

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Asking if this could be the "first true role-playing first-person shooter", GameZone has an article-format interview on Deep Shadows' space-faring Precursors with input from Project Director Sergey Zabaryansky:
Sergey believes that the game’s most important part is its RPG content. “Due to the size of the world, the number of missions you can take from NPC, the freedom of choices you have, the things that you'd be willing to accomplish, complex relations between factions and you, and system of perks that improves your hero, etc. Overall the RPG system looks somewhat close to GURPS (Generic Universal RolePlaying System), but in fact we've made our own to use in the current projects. However, the game is much more dynamic than, let's say, Morrowind, and the combat part works as in any good FPS title.”
More information.

Sergey Zabaryansky: We are developing one version for both platforms. To avoid the problem when PC gamers are disappointed with inconvenient console user interface we are developing two completely different user interfaces for PC and Xbox 360 versions. For example, PC version has trade window based on drag-&-drop principle, and meanwhile the console version of the interface is based on "two lists" principle.

Most of objects in the game are destroyable, moreover they usually have zonal damage system, where you can destroy or blow off single parts of an object, such as limbs or turrets.

We are thinking about the release of a multiplayer cooperative mode in subsequent add-ons.

I think I gonna cry. ;)

I really hope they can pull this and White Gold offf as the team really seems to have talent.
Small independent dev making their own engine and RPG IPs is definatly a good thing.
Boiling Point had huge potienal but was ravaged by Atari's mindless time table.

The only thing that annoyed me in the actual "game design" of BP was the faction system (actually this bothered me about G3 also), if I do something in steath we as players should not get negitive faction points without witnesses. :p

Heyall,

The Precursors may not be the World's First RP-FPS. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. may be because its set to be released on March 22nd, 2007.. and yes they finally polished the Stalker Code on Jan 23rd. Here's a hyperlink to the "Stalker is done" Article:

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37120

However, The Precursors seems to have a more indepth RPG Core Rules system and gamezone did say its much like GURPS. Who knows? Stalker maybe considered a lite-RPG (like Drakan II was). This is more for Public Opinion in the end.

~The Dude

I use system shock 2 as my benchmark as to whether I call it a "FPS with RPG elements" or an RPG using a FPS engine. Boiling Point didn't make the mark and I will be surprised if Precursors does.

Either way I am quite sure that both Precursors and White Gold will be excellent games that I will enjoy as I have great faith in the developer (one of the few good russian developers at the moment in my opinion).

I have great faith in the developer (one of the few good russian developers at the moment in my opinion).

No kidding and not only that they don't use starforce, since almost all other Russian devs seem to or well used too.

Back
Top Bottom