Venetica - Review Flood

Got my copy friday evening and just finished it. I played all the games mentioned above and think i got more sleep playing that ones :). The story is very well done and the combat is really fun. I especially like if i'm not forced to do useless quests or any kind of farming so this was a good choice for me and it had a similar fun factor as the witcher or mass effect.
I read about performance problems and bugs. Started playing with the patch available on friday and had not a single problem until the end. Speech was missing for 2 hmmm no don't want to tell you too much but let's say that was only a minor annoyance and not even important for a side quest. The patch probably also fixed the performance issues. Have a 6600 dual core and 8800 gts and it runs smooth most of the time. I had some minor problems at some locations but not enough to bother with the settings.

Finally a little screenshot from the rooftops above venice.
http://img228.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=64493_Venetica1_122_389lo.JPG

Got my copy friday evening and just finished it. I played all the games mentioned above and think i got more sleep playing that ones :). The story is very well done and the combat is really fun. I especially like if i'm not forced to do useless quests or any kind of farming so this was a good choice for me and it had a similar fun factor as the witcher or mass.
I read about performance problems and bugs. Started playing with the patch available on friday and had not a single problem until the end. Speech was missing for 2 hmmm no don't want to tell you too much but let's say that was only a minor annoyance and not even important for a side quest. The patch probably also fixed the performance issues. Have a 6600 dual core and 8800 gts and it runs smooth most of the time. I had some minor problems at some locations but not enough to bother with the settings.

Finally a little screenshot from the rooftops above venice.
http://img228.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=64493_Venetica1_122_389lo.JPG

How many hours did it take, approximately? :)

How many hours did it take, approximately? :)
You don't pay attention if you have a good time but my best guess is about 35. I finished all quests i found and took my time but didn't explore every single house and there are quite a lot of them. Usually you can tell if there is something interesting to expect or only some treasure. Only in the last district i checked all of them and there was one hidden side quest and some interesting areas but don't think i missed anything important without seeing them all. Seemed rather a waste of time for me and there was so much else to do.

If you want to get a good idea of how the game plays (spoilers apply) then you might want to check out Gamestar's video review. Naturally it helps a lot if you know a little German but even if you don't you might be able to get a fairly good grasp of the game's mechanics just by watching the damn thing.
Interesting video. The game seems less cutesy than I originally thought.

The reviewer's verdict - because he uses different words than in his article:
"Venetica is a fascinating, a multi-faceted and grand game."
Yes, 83%. ;)

He criticises that the controls aren't always comfortable.

Last edited:
Anyone know where you can actually buy this thing? For relatively unknown game I normally print out a picture of the game from EBgames. I give the store owner the picture and she'll get it for me then, but it's not on ebgames, gogamer or gamestop.

Does it even have an publisher yet for the English version?

lol, I migh of jumped the gun a bit. I thought the English version was already out. At least I thought there would be a preorder somewhere, but so far can't find one place that has it even for preorder.

Anyone know where you can actually buy this thing? For relatively unknown game I normally print out a picture of the game from EBgames. I give the store owner the picture and she'll get it for me then, but it's not on ebgames, gogamer or gamestop.

Does it even have an publisher yet for the English version?

Only Germany yet.

Seems unlikely that we'll see it in October, then.

Mick Schnelle gave it 7.0. Same reasons as for Divinity 2, the game is buggy as hell, even in v1.01. With some more patching it deserves a higher score (~ 8.5 / 9.0).

The bugs are surely the reason for the delay of the xbox version. Once again, english customers are the lucky one's, because they get the "final version". I hope that does not become a tradition for dtp's CRPGs.

http://www.gamersglobal.de/test/venetica

Did Mick play it with patch or without?

The GamesWelt guy totally hated Venetica. 67% or so.

The bugs are surely the reason for the delay of the xbox version. Once again, english customers are the lucky one's, because they get the "final version". I hope that does not become a tradition for dtp's CRPGs.

I think the reasons for rushing both games out the door are obviously business related. With Risen in October, Dragon Age in November and their own Dragensang:TRoT in February they had to ship in the summer to avoid being the underdog against strong competition.
We'll see if dtp patches both games sufficiently. I expect Drakensang 2 to be in good condition because they're recycling stable technology and because the first game showed that DSA fans are willing to buy the game if it doesn't cause too much trouble.

Maybe if they do a "Gold" version of Venetica like they did with Drakensang, I'll buy that one later.

I just got Venetica and Divinity 2.

Back
Top Bottom