Need Pools of Darkness help

Smorri

Watchdog
I'm hoping some one here can explain how to restore stats. It seems the towns are mostly craters and one of my mages currently has wisdom and intelligence of "3"!! "Heal" didn't make a difference. "Restoration" seems to just restore levels. "Remove Curse" and "Cure Disease" didn't help either. Is there a way to restore his stats without going to a temple? (Especially since ever temple I run into seems to be populated by pissed-off beasties)

Wow, ok that brings the memories.

As for your problem, go back to a save game and see where exactly the problem occured. I seem to recall hearing about some kind of bug about stats not returning to normal after equiping certain cursed objects. Now mind you I could be wrong and am probably thinking about another game, but it seems likely that is the problem.

I have the silver edition manual right here and I'm not finding anything that would help other than the spells you just mentioned. It seems like he has some sort of curse on him but the remove curse isn't working. I'm not sure even a temple would help you if remove curse or disease didn't work. Energy Drain affects your life and you use restoration to counter the effects. So restoration wouldn't help. You could try getting him killed and resurrecting him to see if the stats return to normal.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I never encountered that problem. Like I said, probably your best bet would be to reload an ealier save and keep a close eye on his stats to see if it happens again.

Well, I found nothing at Mobygames. I tried killing off the character so I could resurrect him, but that did not restore his stats either.

The saves I have are all recent. I do have the save I imported him from (Silver Blades). But at that point he already has an asterisk by his Intel ( but not one by his Wisdom, which he must have gotten in Pools of Darkness). I believe its something the Wraiths and Ghosts are doing. It just seems there should be some counter 'action' to restore stats... arggggggg!

Try searching FRUA or joining one of the Yahoo groups for FRUA and asking them. I would bet my last dollar that they would have an answer for you. FRUA is Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures(same engine as the gold box games) and even now there is still a small but dedicated community there. A bunch of modders and what not that know the game engine backwards and forewards. Your best bet would be to join one of their yahoo groups. They also have a forum that is new. I think it just went online last month. But I would do both the forum and group. You're bound to get someone who knows how to fix it in game or how to fix it with some kind of hack.

Here is the group I belong to on Yahoo:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/ua/

FRUA forum:
http://frua.isgreat.org/index.php

If you like Pools of Darkness then after that I would suggest trying out some of their mods and adventures. They have tons of them and it's quite amazing what they did with that old engine.
Here is some of the resources they have(It won't help with the bug, but thought you might like to know :))
http://frua.rosedragon.org/

There is one more place that could help you. Ironworks has a lot of people who know more than I do about the older games. they also have in the works(for many many years now),Dungeon Craft, an upgrade to FRUA. Try asking in the the Dungeon Craft section or general section.
Ironworks:
http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/index.shtml

So these characters are imported from Silver? Man that would be really frustrating. But I'm sure someone can hack a solution for you. They have all kinds of utilities for messing around with the engine and considering what they've done, a simple bump to int and wis will be no prob for one of those programs:)

Last edited:
If all else fails, try downloading the universal game editor, and changing the stats back. I don't know where the modules are anymore, but it's fairly simple to set one up. Basically, it's just a hex editor that lets you set up a module that points to each correct offset (or not correct, at times).

Thanks everyone. I posted in the FRUA group and forum. I'll delve into the other suggestions tonight after work. Skavenhorde, Thanks for all the links. I've been planning to play with FRUA for sometime, but thought I show play through the original games first. When I was tracking down the old Gold Box games, I made sure to get a copy of FRUA for just that purpose =-)

There are some good links to the better adventures in FRUA (some of them are even better than the gold box games) that I've been meaning to put in the "Interesting Links for Gamers" thread, but kept putting it off. I'll dig around and see if I can't find them again and post them.

It's always good to see new blood in the FRUA realm. Everyone is really helpful and since we're a niche within a niche there isn't too many of us. I don't think I've posted anything there in years, but I still keep informed on the goings on over there. These damn new games keep distracting me ;) In the meantime, have fun with POD, it was one of the best ones.

Oh and thanks for the heads up on Incubation: The Wilderness Missions (In your signiture) I never knew they made an addon to that game.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help everyone. As azraelck and Nol Drek(at frua.isgreat.org) suggested, I used the Universal Game Editor, changed my Wizard's stats to their original values and he no longer pulls his undershirt over his head while yelling "Invisibility! I cast Invisibility!!" Thank you, it was getting so embarrassing! One of my warriors was actually able to backstab a wraith because it was bent over laughing at my Wizard =-(

Glad it worked out for you and your wizard. I figured someone there would have a tech/in game solution for you. Anyways have fun with POD, not many people can handle the graphics, but if you can overlook that and use your imagination a bit then you see just how good these games were and still are.

Back
Top Bottom