Pillars of Eternity - What's Next? @ PC Gamer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Steven Messner listened to the the plans of Obsidian devs at Pax Prime - Some quotes:
I don't think it was worthwhile developing for Linux," Brandon Adler, lead producer said in response to questions the team had gathered from Twitter before the show. "They are a very, very small portion of our active user base—I think around one and a half percent of our users were Linux.
Prior to doing Pillars, every time we worked on a game it was always something that belonged to someone else.
Eventually, as they set their sights further into the future, the obvious question of a sequel was brought up. "We're very interested in a sequel," Brennecke said. "We own something now and that is huge for us. For an indie developer, to have your own thing—it's fantastic. We can make a sequel and we don't even have to go to a publisher; we hold all the cards now."
"I think it's changed people's ideas inside the studio about what types of games we can make," Sawyer said. "Prior to doing Pillars [of Eternity], every time we worked on a game it was always something that belonged to someone else because publishers do not want you to retain the rights to those things, so it's also changed our internal thought processes about the sorts of games that we can work on."
More information.

Best thing about what is next is their plan to do BG2 type Strongholds for PoE 2.

Has anyone from Obsidian stated yet whether they intend for Pillars 2 to be a direct sequel in the sense that BG2 was (i.e., import your character from the previous game) or will it involve an entirely new player character?

I still haven't finished playing the base game... I only played to the part where you first get the stronghold and lost interest in continuing. Part of it was my inability to find the class / build I really enjoy for my player character and a large part was probably that I just don't like RTwP combat very much. Perhaps I'll wait until both parts of the White March are released and try to play the game again. Aside from the meh combat, it wasn't terrible, just not exactly as good as I was hoping.

I don't think it was worthwhile developing for Linux," Brandon Adler, lead producer said in response to questions the team had gathered from Twitter before the show. "They are a very, very small portion of our active user base—I think around one and a half percent of our users were Linux

What? How unjust! How terrible! You throw us under the bus with filthy statistics. We are individuals with lives and feelings! We demand equality. We demand more than equality. We demand all games be coded in linux first and windows as an afterthought. We demand representation at the highest levels of power. Lawsuits of discrimination will be launched! Forums will be convened. This travesty must end...

Bahahaha...:rotfl:

Actually later he said that they are not going to quit supporting Linux, because now they have all the tools and testing needs setup, just that when they look back it was probably not worth it.

No serious gamer wastes time and effort with Linux. Those days of nerd bragging rights were over 15 years ago.

Pillars is a beautiful game with some great characters, really fussy combat and encounter design, ultimately tame storyline, and a lot of mechanical features derived from other game systems. My biggest hope for Obsidian is that they'll really cut loose with PoE2 and do something more original, as they did with MotB.

Has anyone from Obsidian stated yet whether they intend for Pillars 2 to be a direct sequel in the sense that BG2 was (i.e., import your character from the previous game) or will it involve an entirely new player character?.

Uh, since they haven't said that they actually are planning on a sequel, your question is a bit premature. You did read the article, didn't you? :)

Uh, since they haven't said that they actually are planning on a sequel, your question is a bit premature. You did read the article, didn't you? :)

"We're very interested in a sequel."

"We can make a sequel and we don't even have to go to a publisher."

I read the article. Did you?

But even without this article, I think a sequel was pretty much a foregone conclusion. Just wondering if any specific plans have been given elsewhere :)

@Grifman: But they have said repeatedly that the whole PoE setting is supposed to become a huge universe with many games in the series so even if they have not officially announced a sequel yet that question is actually very valid.
Personally, I think it would be kind of sad if they already did a prequel with part 2. Most devs do a prequel once they have run out of ideas for sequels. That is hopefully not the case after just one game (+ exp pack) here ;) .

Or rather than being a direct sequel, it could just take place in a different part of the world at about the same time as PoE. I think that'd be better than a prequel, if they don't feel like doing a direct sequel…

Quote the Codex on this: in a PoE retrospective panel the plans for PoE 2 include:

Baldur's Gate 2-style strongholds. That is, multiple strongholds, with a focus on content rather than systems (Josh explicitly uses those terms).
Full multiclassing.
Support for "sub-areas", eg, the ability to enter a house in a town without having to load an entirely new area and without having to take your entire party.
Expanded AI systems and more customizable party AI.
Improved modding support for modifying systems, adding items, etc. Adam says that they've already got plans in place for how they're going to do this.

Hmm, so if they do a direct sequel where you import your Pillars character... I wonder if they'll add the ability to multi-class in PoE in a patch.

I'm trying to do a play through now...what a great atmosphere they have going on. I do not like the backer NPC's...now that I don't have to read them I don't, as they range from competent to bad. I hope for the next game they skip those.

I'm trying to do a play through now…what a great atmosphere they have going on. I do not like the backer NPC's…now that I don't have to read them I don't, as they range from competent to bad. I hope for the next game they skip those.

You were wise to wait, though I enjoyed the game for the most part my first play though. It is a lot better game this second play through with patch 2.0. I still think the rebalancing has made the combat a tad easier, though it could be now your party member actual for the most part do what you ask to do in combat.

I will wait until I get a bit deeper into some of the harder battles to know for sure.

I also bought the expansions to play with it as well...I like the added AI for the party options. Would like to see it expanded on for a sequel.

Put some sex in the next game. Some (gasp) attractive female NPCs that can join the party or at least be interacted with. Ala The Witcher, not so much Dragon Age. This may seem like an odd criticism but I really felt the game was unsexy, mainly the predominantly male, brooding, party NPCs.

Back
Top Bottom