Latest place you've visited ?

I went to Scotland with family for a week in July.

Took the plane into Edinbarra, then went to St. Andrews at the east coast where the British Open were held so it was kinda busy around there.
Then drove all the way cross country up to Inverness (very nice, scenic drive through the highlands, Ben Nevis, Loch Ness and so on) and from there continued to the Isle of Skye where we wanted to stay in or near Portree which is the only bigger town on the island but due to the busy holiday season we ended up in a B&B in Glendale (far NW corner of Isle of Skye) which was at the end of a 10 mile (or so) single lane road with thousands of sheep near Neist Point (a well known POI in that area). Ass crack of nowhere basically.
Next stop was Oban, a nice little town at the west coast and from there it was back to Edinbarra.

We got very lucky with the weather because against all odds and warnings we barely saw a single drop of rain. Scotland is definitely most beautiful and I'd love to visit it again some time for some hiking or biking (off-road that is because I wouldn't wanna end up as roadkill).

And, yeah, the whisky was decent, too, in case anyone was wondering :biggrin: . Glenfarclas 10y, Oban 14y, Highland Park 12y… good stuff.

Some pics (fourth pic… the dude with the blue sweater is me at some Loch-whatever… can't remember everything, right? ;) ):

Attachments

• P1060444.jpg
    P1060444.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 99
  • P1060365.jpg
    P1060365.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 90
  • P1060553.jpg
    P1060553.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1610.jpg
    IMG_1610.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1626.jpg
    IMG_1626.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1638.jpg
    IMG_1638.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
You'd be surprised what else is upside down after a few shots of whisky :) .

I thought Oz was the only place that was upside down for the rest of you!! LOL :)

Upside down, girl you turn me. Inside out, round and round...
upside you're turning me, you give your love indiscriminately :D

nuttier than ever.

I guess Scottish whisky can make the whole world look upside down … :p

Yes, at least for the RPGWatch forum software because, as I said, the original pics on my HD are correctly aligned. I have no idea why the forum software decided to flip them. It probably had a few too many… :biggrin:

EDIT: OK, I decided to go all Sherlock Holmes on this issue and lo and behold it wasn't the RPGWatch forum software (nope, relax, Myrthos, no Gremlins ;) ) but my crazy image viewer software called Faststone which apparently has an auto-rotate feature instead of showing the original files. So it tricked me into believing that the original source pics were correctly aligned when they were not. I fixed that now and edited the original post. Mea culpa.
Sorry to those of you who broke their necks when trying to view the upside down images :) .

Last edited:
Good thing, I almost got worried about needing to do something

The last place I visited today was the supermarket.
The last place I visited abroad was Ghent, to see Original Sin 2.

My son will be starting college next year, so I thought this may be the last time we have for a family vacation, as he will be getting a job next summer to help pay his way.

We took a 6000 mile road trip, going though a couple parts of Western Colorado that I had not been to such as Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP, Colorado Monument, and Dinosaur. From there we went across Utah and Nevada over to Lake Tahoe for a few days then to Yosemite, Death Valley, and straight across the Mojave to drive up the Big Sur. We spent a couple days in San Francisco, then to Northern CA and the Redwoods.
We drove up the coast in Oregon, then to Mount Saint Helens in Washington. That really amazed me. I had been there right after it was opened again after the eruption in the 80s, passing miles and miles of downed trees and piles of ash like snow beside the road. You can barely even tell now, you have to really look for the fallen trees in the new growth forest.

We went up to Olympic National Park and had car trouble there. I was 3 days in Port Angeles which was a very nice little town waiting for parts, but rented a car and went to Seattle and over to the coastal rain forests. My daughter was exited to see Forks, the setting of the Twilight movies. After the car was fixed, we went to Mt Ranier, then over to Glacier National Park. Down to Mount Rushmore and over to the Badlands.

I took a month off to do all this, but it still felt like I was trying to squeeze too much in at times. We had a good time, and I enjoyed the time with the family.Most of the time we camped at parks.

How do you like Ghent ?
I've been 3 or 4 times to Ghent now. All just to see Larian Studios, which was roughly what I saw from Ghent. It is one of those place in we have on our bucket list to see properly in the not too far future.

My son will be starting college next year, so I thought this may be the last time we have for a family vacation, as he will be getting a job next summer to help pay his way.

We took a 6000 mile road trip, going though a couple parts of Western Colorado that I had not been to such as Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP, Colorado Monument, and Dinosaur. From there we went across Utah and Nevada over to Lake Tahoe for a few days then to Yosemite, Death Valley, and straight across the Mojave to drive up the Big Sur. We spent a couple days in San Francisco, then to Northern CA and the Redwoods.

We drove up the coast in Oregon, then to Mount Saint Helens in Washington. That really amazed me. I had been there right after it was opened again after the eruption in the 80s, passing miles and miles of downed trees and piles of ash like snow beside the road. You can barely even tell now, you have to really look for the fallen trees in the new growth forest.

We went up to Olympic National Park and had car trouble there. I was 3 days in Port Angeles which was a very nice little town waiting for parts, but rented a car and went to Seattle and over to the coastal rain forests. My daughter was exited to see Forks, the setting of the Twilight movies. After the car was fixed, we went to Mt Ranier, then over to Glacier National Park. Down to Mount Rushmore and over to the Badlands.

I took a month off to do all this, but it still felt like I was trying to squeeze too much in at times. We had a good time, and I enjoyed the time with the family.Most of the time we camped at parks.

Sounds like an amazing trip

I have rarely done road trips but they've always been fun.

Going across the U.S. sounds great

Sounds like an amazing trip

I have rarely done road trips but they've always been fun.

Going across the U.S. sounds great

Make sure you pack a gun when you do. But, don't worry if you don't own one, they sell them duty free at the customs desk at airports.

Wow - great roadtrip!

Last place for me was Perth, Australia (for work). Unusual place - amazing isolated with (still) many very rich people and many poor people. Real two tier society from mining $$. Food & accommodation is 40-60% more than equivalent in Melbourne, Australia for most things.

Usually great weather, beaches, reasonable wine 3 hours or so away. Great place for outdoors but a very small/closed business community even with over 1,000,000 residents.

Just came back from HK (business trip).

I visited HK 2 years back around the same time, it was dreadfully hot and humid back then. This time was a lot better - humid but tolerable temperature. City looks dirty and old (and smelly at places) but it's so alive at night time. Very different to Australia. Loved it. Went shopping a lot and had lots of dumplings.

Only advice I can give is see as much as you can. There may come a day where you can't visit anywhere anymore. It happened to me. I barely even leave the house anymore, save the Dr. visits every 3 months. I haven't been anywhere in almost 10 years. I went to Niagara (which is simply awe-inspiring) & is the only Country outside of USA i was able to see. I have always wanted to visit Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany, but it won't happen. Just like Australia, Austria, The Alps & everywhere else i wanted to go. I wanted to visit the Baseball HOF but didn't get there, either. If there is somewhere you want to see or have always wanted to see, do whatever it takes to do it. Trust me. If you don't, you will regret it.

@Xian: Awesome trip that kind of reminds me of a family vacation all the way (WAY) back in 1986 when we spent six weeks cruising around the western US.
We rented a mobile home (my parents, my bro and me) and started in San Francisco, then went to Sacramento and Yosemite and then down south.

I can't remember the order of locations off the top of my head but we went to Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Sequoia, Hoover Dam, Mesa Verde (western NM/COL was the farthest east we got on that trip), Petrified Forest, Bryce Canyon (truly a work of art by Mother Nature), Zion Nat'l Park, Capitol Reef, and then all the way back to the coast to San Diego and from there all the way back on Highway 1 to SF along the coast including Big Sur, 17 Mile Drive (wow) etc.
Los Angeles sucked but everything between Santa Barbara and Monterey was super-nice.

All I can say is if anyone here has the time and the money to spend then a tour of the national parks and monuments of the western US is an unforgettable journey.
It was so unforgettable, in fact, that we repeated it two years later in 1988 :biggrin: but with a rental car and motels instead of a mobile home and "only" three or four weeks, not six. We revisited some places but it was mostly a "fill in the blanks" trip where we visited locations we wished we'd seen in 1986 but didn't have time to. It was just as great and memorable as the first trip. Absolutely fascinating.

Back from 17 days on Kauai. Highlights of the trip was a road trip up to the Kokee lookout with views of Waimea canyon, and snorkeling at Tunnels Beach. We swam with a sea turtle there.

tunnels-beach.jpg

snorkeling-makua-greenseaturtle-161710_621x320.jpg

Back
Top Bottom