Hard West or Underrail

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
Staff Member
I'm coming up pretty soon with a gap in my weekly gaming schedule that will need to be filled. The candidates to fill it are Underrail, which I bought years ago in early access and Hard West which I supported on Kickstarter. I haven't played either of them. I'd like to get a ways into one of them before the RPG of the year voting in January and maybe eventually to write a review. With that in mind does anyone have any advice either for or against either game? I'd prefer playing the better game. Also I know both games are different genres and enjoyed both the new X-Com and both original Fallout games, so genre doesn't matter to me as much as overall quality.

Kill me but there is no way possible for me to start any of these before voting.
Not enough time. :(

It still means if anyone finds one of them simply mustplay_right_now, I'll squeeze it on top of the list.

I have played a bit of Underrail in the past - it is a great game and it would be nice to have a review from you for this game.

Underrail

I have only played some hard west and it's a fun little game.
Can easily be completed in a week in my opinion.

Not sure about under rail though as I haven't played that one.

From what I hear it's quite good though ...

Hard west has a very unique setting in my opinion and is done rather well.

Hard west is interesting little game but nothing to write home about.I played Underrail in early access more than year ago and even then it was great, if it had bit better writing I think it could have been true classic.

For me the answer is easy. Hard West.

I don't know why underrail gets so much praise, its not a bad game more so for a one man project but I did not find it great either. I found it largly lifeless and it felt not realy atmospheric either but just to sterile. In hubs I was bored to death from the dialoge and after I while I couldn't take it to play any more. The RPG mechanics were not bad at all but they are not enough to make me like the game.

I just loved Hard West. It is the best turn based combat I played in a long time. Easy to lern hard to master und it deterministic aproach makes it way more complex then it first seems (it did take a while to grasp it though). I played on hard where you have to think carefully before moving and one mistake could mean death. It has a strong art style, great music and narration. The story made me sad more then one time. And I just loved the "Weird West" setting. It oozes with atmosphere.
It is not a RPG. But other then that I loved it!

If you can once choose one that choose based on if you like more RPG or more Xcom like.

Also Underrail takes much more time to finish while Hard West is up to 20 hours .

Since Hard West isn't a crpg; at least according to Khayyin above, and this site is called RPGWatch, not GameWatch, I'd say Underrail wins by default. Let's not start covering every game under the sun. We're way too small for that to be effective.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I have decided to go with Underrail.

@crpgnut: It's very hard for me to decide what is a rpg game. In general I consider every game which gets repeated coverage on this site in the news section worthy of review. I've heard people here say Diablo, Mass Effect, and Skyrim weren't RPGs, others have other criteria. X-Com for me is in the broadest sense for me a SRPG, just like Diablo is in the broadest sense an ARPG. Both of them are pretty far away from something like Pillars of Eternity or Divinity:Original Sin, but I still think a lot of people who play RPGs play them.

I agree somewhat with that, but if you have to pick between covering a game that definitely is a pure crpg vs a game that only has a few rpg-ish elements, then always go with the pure game. That is from a RPGWatch review perspective. As a game player, it doesn't matter of course.

Since Hard West isn't a crpg; at least according to Khayyin above, and this site is called RPGWatch, not GameWatch, I'd say Underrail wins by default. Let's not start covering every game under the sun. We're way too small for that to be effective.

I think it's as much an rpg as so many games covered by the site.

Blackguards is considered an rpg as well. This is similar to it.

I think it's as much an rpg as so many games covered by the site.

Blackguards is considered an rpg as well. This is similar to it.

If you mean it's similar in that it has turn-based combat, sure. Other than that, I wouldn't say they're similar at all.

Underrail ofc

Hard West is probably more of an RPG than XCom is which was placed 4 on game of the year awards in 2012, so...

I liked Hard West and it does something rather unique with the story.
But while I didn't play underrail for long yet, imho this is the better game to review as it's the purer RPG and probably also offers more to actually talk about in terms of mechanis.

It also seems that hard west is rather polarizing. You have to like the:
-mechanical separated scenarios
-story where you also often play the "evil" side
-the combat mechanic

If you feel strongly against one of these you will likely not like the game much.

That said, German Review Video in my sig ;)

Back
Top Bottom