Gothic 3 Gothic 3 tweaks?

Gothic 3 should run fine on your system on medium/high settings without any tweaking at all.

you can check your system with

a) AutoRuns

and

b) HijackThis

maybe some performance grabber programs are running in the background.

I have tried it.. all is clean. Well, I tried to move around some.. and in some places I have over 60 FPS on average!.. but inside the first city for example it drops down to 5 fps even on medium to low setting. And the game always have to stop to load every 3 seconds if I am running, if I am walking or staying around the same area it is quite okay though. I guess I should try a lot more tweaks to fix it....... but it feels like I have to give up... since I have to increase the fps with at least 500% to make it playable in the first city!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess my computer is just not good enough for this game.

If someone with a simular or a bit slower system or same as mine has the game running fine, maybe they could send over their INI ??

If your system can sometimes reach 60fps - it could be a sound problem - what sound card / sound driver do you use ?

I have a very old SB live 5.1 OEM, with SBliveOEM0220win2k_xp driver, I'll have a try to run without sound and see what kinds of fps's I will get!

I ran it without sound no difference.. game is unplayeable. If anyone has an ini with a worse or same system please PM me or send it to me!! and also tell me what FPS you get with this ini.

Last edited:
OMFG! hmmm i can't think of anything else than a system format... fresh G3 install.... defrag.... (see the tech forum for cool free ware defragger) try it without tweaks (maybe u messed something up) and if it works put tweaks! (you can try this before system format maybe...) if someone else can suggest anything better....

How old is your windows installation? Is it correctly configured - virus scanner off, indexing for file system off, MS Office indexing off, HDD DMA mode on? Are all background tasks closed before you start G3? How much free RAM do you have when G3 is running?

Why do you use such an old sound card, do you really think it´s better than the onboard sound chip?

amongst other things i recently added an audigy se into my rig. i had some problems as well. turns out that by changing the pci latency values from the default it solved my game stuttering problem. theres this really handy easy to use free program double dawg that lets you change the values of all pci devices. i bumped up the sound card to a much higher value and it worked. i also change the apeture size of the video card in the bios as well after i put in a new power supply. i'm not sure if non agp graphics card even use this setting but if so you should check on that.

Ok, clean install clean format, newly defragged 100 MB of my 2 GB used as windows starts up. Virus scanner etc etc off. Shadows off, post proccesing off. Oblivion for example runs at average fps 40 on highest setting, so I really doubt something is wrong with my system!!! bioshock runs with all settings on high on average of 30 FPS!

Gothic 3.... still 5 FPS! I guess it is just impossible to run on my computer.

Ok, I finally got it working, thank you for the help guys. I cleaned the ini yet again, changed settings to medium, modded it again, changed back settings to high, and finally it runs on average of 20 fps inside town and up to 40 outside and looks pretty good.... very weird :S

Last edited:
New at Gothic III

Hi all

I just purchased Gothic III for $20 a few days ago. My problem is that i keep getting black areas on buildings, and very low details on other buildings. Like on the starting fight, the main building in front had really low details even though the graphics were set to full, and the pike fences had weird graphics on them. On buildings some doors are not even visible because of this, but i still can go through (even though it's real hard to locate them).

I tried running the game at it's very low settings, and yet i still got the same graphic glitch. Lowered and raised resolution to the highest (16XX X XXX something) and I still got it.

I patched the game with the 1.12 official, and the 1.4 community patch (along with the g3 file) before i even played the game. Some times when i messed around with the graphics in game, the black undetailed areas and low detailed graphics dissapeared and got fixed. Every time i try to do the same thing when i want to play on a different day, the game takes forever to close the option window and freezes.

Im currently using Windows Vista 32 bit, Geforce 8800GTS, 2 Gigs of RAM, Sound Blaster Fatal1ty Xtremegamer.

All my drives are up to date and patched up.

If anyone has any solutions to this glitch, please help.

@Zerg007 Download the tuning utility and see if ALL settings changed. It is known that the Gothic 3 options menu didn't change one specific setting and always put it on ultra high. With the tweak tool you can change other things like the camera distance.

@Zerg007 Download the tuning utility and see if ALL settings changed. It is known that the Gothic 3 options menu didn't change one specific setting and always put it on ultra high. With the tweak tool you can change other things like the camera distance.

It did not work :( Messed around with the settings a bit, and the first time i loged in it worked (no weird graphics), but the second time and third time, they were back. :(

I have a Core 2 duo 2.2 ghz processor (forgot to mention it on my previous reply)

How can I save the ge3 file it says this file is a read only.

Maybe you have to remove the readonly attribute with the Windows Explorer:
Menu: File/Properties -> checkbox Attributes-readonly

Well, it's not a performance tweak, but a great visual enhancment is to push out the farclippingplane and the landscape prefetch cell size. Both of those are in the ini file. The patch you have allows for higher settings for the other things that make a difference.

the ini is already tweaked and tested by the CP team to a sufficient level, imo. I would not mess too much with it (haven't done so in my last 2-3 playthroughs with the CP's ). Any thing in particular you have in mind ?

You might be interested in this.
I'm sure there are more recent works but you'll have to search in the German WoG.

Hmm, haven't tried that one, it seems to mostly push the view distance further back (which is not as simple as it sounds because you need to configure several values and test extensively to avoid clipping issues in several locations). Interesting, I wonder how stability/performance is, especially with the monster/npc/AI visibility that far away (note that default CP 1.74 is completely stable and trouble free for me and perform great except for the remaining stuttering). I'll give it a shot one day…

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom