6NOV: The Apocolypse Cometh

Well, 9 out of 10 people vote based on their own selfish desires - so I'm not sure a gun held to the head would make a big difference :)

pibbur who only now saw that Myrthos and Dte told exactly the same before he did. And who thanks dte for giving him the proper words for "voting closet".
Yeah, I think that qualifies as a gang tackle. ;)

You've obviously never had a gun to your head :)

I imagine my own selfish desire to survive would overrule everything else - and then I'd be voting based on a similar motivation as if a gun wasn't being held to my head.

Well, unless I was that 1 out of 10 I was talking about :)

Rough estimate, naturally, but it gets the point across.

"selfish desire to live" gosh man, dont you realize that bullet has just as much right to be there as your brain. Jeez...

"selfish desire to live" gosh man, dont you realize that bullet has just as much right to be there as your brain. Jeez…

Selfish doesn't have to be to a large degree. Simply choosing your own life instead of voting as you feel is right is a selfish act, however understandable and natural :)

Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!

The philosophical wanking in this thread has achieved critical mass. Bullshit is imminent. Refrain from all navel gazing and seek shelter immediately.

One aspect of the Electorial College that was not mentioned was the fact it was a means of getting elections completed due to distance and transportation of votes. Riding a horse hundreds of miles to bring in the vote tally for midwest and western states took weeks.

Having a cut off time to just take the majority gathered and assign the region so many EC votes based on registered land owners ( only true population count available at the time that felt accurate) allowed for a final election that didn't take months to complete.

These days that is not the case. I would like to see a popular vote only, even if the results take a week or two to tally. One man one vote should be our right even if it is not in the original constitution.

Does it make big difference which one gets elected?

Yes, it makes a difference in the Supreme Court nominations. If you want a conservative court that thinks "corporations are people, too" and gives them the right to do whatever they want, then vote Republican.

If you don't vote and participate, then you are are giving into to those who would control you and your life and your country.

Yeah, I think that qualifies as a gang tackle. ;)

I should probably hate you because of this, but unfortunately I'm not very good at that.

pibbur who does hate music made by the Norwegian band DDE. Slightly.

BTW: A recent poll in Norway shows that 94% of Norwegians would vote for Obama. So after his US presidency I assume he could come over here. You don't have to be born in Norway to become prime minister.

Last edited:
Yes, it makes a difference in the Supreme Court nominations. If you want a conservative court that thinks "corporations are people, too" and gives them the right to do whatever they want, then vote Republican.

If you don't vote and participate, then you are are giving into to those who would control you and your life and your country.

SCOTUS definitely is the (potentially) biggest impact of the POTUS.

Speaking of reforms to our system, I'd really like to see specific terms (maybe 20 or 24 years) for SCOTUS, but limit them to one term so they are still theoretically free of political influence. Nominating someone when they are in the late 40's mans you very well may have 40-50 years of the same person making decisions. Plus if you staggered them properly, you could guarantee that each term of the President gets to nominate at least one. Right now its a crap shoot on who gets to nominate.

I have no idea who this will end up benefiting, but I'm sure someone is going to get all riled up about it:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-b...-voters-told-election-day-tomorrow-soe-office

ST. PETERSBURG – An hour after polls opened today, the Pinellas County Supervisor of Elections Office mistakenly placed hundreds – possibly thousands – of automatic calls to voters instructing them that they had until 7 p.m. tomorrow to vote.
Polls actually close at 7 p.m. today. Any ballots turned in after that time won’t be accepted.
The calls went out between 8 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. because of a glitch with the SOE’s phone system. Calls were made Monday alerting voters who had requested mail ballots but had not returned them that they had until 7 p.m. “tomorrow” to get them turned in.
About 12,000 calls, however, didn’t get through, said SOE spokeswoman Nancy Whitlock. They were stored in a queue and recycled this morning. The “tomorrow” in the message meant for Monday was incorrect when it was delivered today.

So then, you've got no problem with clear, photo-documented violation of election law?

I've got problem with you blaming the Dems for a nonpartisan polling place selection process. Are you saying someone painted that after the place was selected?

Nope. The polling booths should never have been set up there in the first place. Of course, we're talking about a location in downtown Philly (with a safely assumed political demographic) so nobody cared. Still electioneering on behalf of Obama by every interpretation of the law. Sinister intent? Probably not. Still illegal? Yep.

I'm just impressed that for once you didn't immediately go to the "biased source" well.

And no one ever bothered to actually check the location? Seems like a lame excuse to blame the Dems when righties could have gotten off the asses and checked the locations if they really cared. ;)

Actually, the righties did check. It was a GOP observer that turned the problem in to election officials. He was probably the only republican within 10 miles, but he checked it. Based on the very short article, it sounds like the Obama lovers local election board will "look into it" and make a decision- probably tomorrow. ;)

Back
Top Bottom