Diablo 3 - Interview @ Gamasutra

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Gamasutra catches up with Blizzard's Kevin Martens to talk Diablo 3:
Diablo III was announced last year; it's been playable twice at Blizzcon now. Mike Morhaime suggested it probably won't be out until 2011. Does it feel like the development time has been extended to a surprising degree? Do you ever think, "Oh God, this really will be a while longer now?"
Kevin Martens: Here's the secret to Blizzard games, and this is a secret that won't help any of our competitors: endless iteration. We'll take something, we'll put it in the game. Maybe we'll like it when we put it in, maybe we won't. We'll leave it in there for a while, we'll let it percolate. We'll play it and play it and play it, and then we'll come back. We might throw it all out, or we'll throw half of that out and redo it.
It can be a long time, but it is fun to work on as well. That's the thing that keeps you going. Multiplayer always works, and the builds are always playable. We've played them constantly, and it's fun. You actually look forward to the weekly play session even though the game is still in progress. That's what keeps us going, and that's also why it takes so long. We'll do it over and over again until it's just right.
More information.

And this is exactly why they are so successful. And now with WoW in their back pocket they can take their time even more.

I have played it all, and I seriously don't remember the last time I saw a major bug in a Blizzard game.

And what's funny is, Blizzard fans want them to take their time, because they are so used to quality of their products..

Back
Top Bottom