Avadon - Review @ IMG

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Avadon has been reviewed at Inside Mac Games, with a score of 8.25/10:
Spiderweb Software has been around for a long time - 16 years of making indie RPG titles for the Mac (and Windows, but the Mac is always first.) Jeff Vogel, Spiderweb's creator, has had a long time to hone his skill at making them, and it shows in Avadon: The Black Fortress. It's Spiderwebs first new series in a decade, and I would venture to say it's his most finely crafted work to date.
More information.

How much longer for the pc version?? And why such a delay when you can compile off the same code for more then one type of machine??

How much longer for the pc version??
I don't speak for Jeff, but it remains on the schedule he set AFAIK which means 'real soon now'.

And why such a delay when you can compile off the same code for more then one type of machine??

'such a delay'? What?!?! It has been out on Mac for ~6 weeks, and while there might be a general same code, not everything converts from platform to platform ... and it is a small team (Vogel) with testers.

Seems to be his most polished and "professional" work and I definetely do not regret the
purchase.

But I consider Avernum 6 (That I started playing after almost finishing Avadon)
to be superior in all aspects except the technical/polish one…

A bit too much streamlining and a certain forced rigidity in the overall plot and quest structure dampen the fun for Avadon and make it a bit boring and repetitive towards the
end.

Its telling that I didn't finish it (yet) but bought Avernum 6 (after doing the mistake of trying the demo before being done with Avadon) and am enjoying that significantly more so far…

Its telling that I didn't finish it (yet) but bought Avernum 6 (after doing the mistake of trying the demo before being done with Avadon) and am enjoying that significantly more so far…

That is not a good indication :(
Guess the game is still enjoyable.

That is not a good indication :(
Guess the game is still enjoyable.

Do not get me wrong. I like Avadon and consider it a worthy purchase.

Its just that I like the open-ended nature and more detailed (and old school) system and approach of Avernum.

Also I might have been a bit burned out on Avadon there near the end (I had my most
lengthy gaming sessions for some time with it). I will definetely get back to it and finish it
eventually.

Do not get me wrong. I like Avadon and consider it a worthy purchase.

Its just that I like the open-ended nature and more detailed (and old school) system and approach of Avernum.

Also I might have been a bit burned out on Avadon there near the end (I had my most
lengthy gaming sessions for some time with it). I will definetely get back to it and finish it
eventually.

Well if you think your burned out with avadon, i guess you didnt play avernum 6 that long ;)
Dont get me wrong either, avadon is a must buy for me !!

I am begining to find that about halfway through avernum 6 a lot of repitition...maybe it's just like it feels like a wow, another cave to clear out? Over all though I have liked that game, I would really like to see a deeper system though, was hoping avadon would be quite a bit deeper, streamlining comments doesn't inspire that though.

I am begining to find that about halfway through avernum 6 a lot of repitition…maybe it's just like it feels like a wow, another cave to clear out? Over all though I have liked that game, I would really like to see a deeper system though, was hoping avadon would be quite a bit deeper, streamlining comments doesn't inspire that though.

exactally my thoughts, streamline equels less deepness (in allmost all cases anyways)

A bit too much streamlining and a certain forced rigidity in the overall plot and quest structure dampen the fun for Avadon and make it a bit boring and repetitive towards the end.
This is what I've been fearing all along, especially the streamlining. I haven't played it yet (waiting for the PC version), but been reading forum posts and Vogel's blog about Avadon and I'm not getting a very good vibe off it. I will certainly try the demo, but it must really convince me now.

This is what I've been fearing all along, especially the streamlining. I haven't played it yet (waiting for the PC version), but been reading forum posts and Vogel's blog about Avadon and I'm not getting a very good vibe off it. I will certainly try the demo, but it must really convince me now.

I thought avernum games were pretty streamlined to begin with, they were obviously not very deep.

I thought avernum games were pretty streamlined to begin with, they were obviously not very deep.
It's a very strange opinion, have you really played any more than few hours with a demo?

I haven't played Avadon but the very first part, I don't know for the full game, but I noticed Vogel at least has decided implement companions. There's few minimalist attempts with temporary companion in A6 but I didn't saw much, I hope Avadon developed that more and do it well.

I've played 2 or 3 hours of this now on the demo, and I'm liking it so far. Much better than Eschalon 2 if we're comparing indie games, and I'm enjoying it more than Avernum 17 or whatever.

But I consider Avernum 6 (That I started playing after almost finishing Avadon) to be superior in all aspects except the technical/polish one…

Yes. Avernum 6 was better.

It's a very strange opinion, have you really played any more than few hours with a demo?

Not that strange. Avernum lacked complexity in structure compared to Geneforge. Pretty straightforward in quests, in choices, in storyline. Avadon is pretty close to it in that. But if we're talking character system than Avernum was definitely way more complex than Avadon.

I haven't played Avadon but the very first part, I don't know for the full game, but I noticed Vogel at least has decided implement companions. There's few minimalist attempts with temporary companion in A6 but I didn't saw much, I hope Avadon developed that more and do it well.

Passing well, but it clashes with the simple character system. Otherwise they're well-written, and have a kind of BioWarean "loyalty mission" thing that's pretty good fun.

Not that strange. Avernum lacked complexity in structure compared to Geneforge. Pretty straightforward in quests, in choices, in storyline.
Well Geneforge never attracted me. Avernum 5 had a zone after zone approach building a sort of linearity. I didn't noticed that of Avernum 6 but didn't played much of it.

But have you played Avernum 1? For you it's a simple structure? Even Avernum 2, the first part is somehow guided but after it becomes more like Avernum 1.

I remember more Avernum 1 but for it there are tricky stuff to find. And for the storyline it was an impressive achievement of story building through a high non linearity.

Back
Top Bottom