What games are you playing now?

The game is prettier than Skyrim for sure, but definetly not prettier than Risen 3.

I had no framerate drop at all, settings used from nvid experience (i5 4670K, GTX 760):
settings.jpg

Yes the game is endless trashmob respawn hater's nightmate. Every difficulty in it is a nightmare.

But the game is not a total disaster. It's just that it's not 10/10 as lousy Escapist journalist claims. Yea, the same guy put 10/10 on DA2 too. No, EA didn't pay for that review, not at all.

After 200 hours of DAI (I don't have a problem with the respawns), I decided to take a break and (re)play The Witcher to refresh my memories. I technically never finished it, I stopped in the very last chapter (happens to me quite often).

My first reaction was "Holy Molly! cutscenes have improved a lot in the last few years.". My second, all the games I played this year seriously lack atmosphere compared to this and I barely got out of the prologue...

Played some more Mario Galaxy, and man, I'm loving it. It's imaginative as hell with the disorienting levels, as you go from asteroid to asteroid, solving puzzles and gathering stars and star bits. The music is sufficiently optimistic and kind of catchy for the wacky world. And from what I hear each galaxy comes with it's own unique gameplay mechanics and twists.

And they nailed the controls and camera work. As dizzying as it could have been, it's perfect. I foresee me trying to get all stars. And I'm definitely picking up Mario Galaxy 2. Too bad I'm a couple of years late, but better late than never.

Still messing around with Wolfenstein: The New Order, and I have to reiterate how much of a joke the save system is in this game. It's almost as if they designed it to piss off people like me.

I've always been a completionist when it comes to finding all the hidden items in this series. The problem with TNO though is that the levels often close themselves off in a way that doesn't allow you to backtrack. You can't reload because, as I've mentioned before, the game doesn't allow you to choose individual checkpoints. The only option to retrieve an item you missed is to replay an entire chapter from the beginning. That's especially frustrating if the item you missed happens to be near the end of a chapter.

If you're going to design a game to only have auto-save, at least use more than 1 slot and allow us to be able to choose a checkpoint to load from. It amazes me that professional game designers could do something so poorly in a AAA title like this.

The game would probably be at least an 8/10 for me if it weren't for the save system. As it stands, it's barely a 7 so far.

@danutz
How come every time I read your name I think of Donuts Plus!? It sounds like a great name for a restaurant for fat people :)

Technically, no, Skyrim never ends. You can do those random quests until the end of eternity (I think, anyway). But umm, if you want to see the "ending", just focus on the main quest. That certainly doesn't take 150 hours to finish. I think it's more around the 30 hour mark.

Oh I finished the main quest a long time ago. Though the main quest didn't seem much different then a lot of the other quest in the game.

I just think I will put it down now, though it is hard for me not to find everything and search everything I find.

One thing I can say is you can play it as a total brute and not have much care. I played 95% of the game with a two handed weapon and heavy armor, making sure I had healing potions with me.

So I see the icon sitting on my desk top for Risen….

Debating should I click it ….

Or do I hijack one of my children's PS4 and check out DA:I. My oldest bought on sale boxing day. I don't think he has checked it out.

I might give it a few hours on the PS4 and if I am enjoying it pick it up for my PC.

I haven't played DA:I but I thoroughly suggest you press play on Risen! Great game. :)

Hard choice there. Both are open world RPGs. But I gather that DA:I is much larger, has more diversity, but not as carefully crafted (the environment, that is). If you want companions, banter, romance, and party-based combat, Risen is lacking. DA:I combat is spamming attacks and combos, Risen is careful surgical strikes. DA:I has a lot of randomized and level scaled loot and enemies, Risen doesn't (I think).

Your choice.

You gonna laugh, guys, but it's only yesterday i was able to properly (with no crashes) run Wasteland 2 on my 32-bit system). So it's post-apoc time for me).
If any of you do speak (read) russian there's great news for Fallout 2 fans: a project named Olympus 2207 (a new freeware game on F2 engine)has reached it's release on dec 26. But the game's in russian and stays that for near future.
Here's th link to off. site:
http://olympus2207.com/

Yea… I can read cyrillic letters and understand some of it so biscuits would be kekc… :D
But I wouldn't try it till it's translated.

So Risen it is. I clicked start then my youngest needed help with math homework. So Risen it is sometime this week.

So that's why people hate math! :D

My system is no slouch: i7 3920XM 16 GB, Quadro K4000M 4 GB

What gives?

I'm sure everyone wants to know why, too. But since I haven't figured it out, my solution was to turn shadows to low, turn off all anti-aliasing, as well as SSAO, plus put tessellation on lowest setting. Then I could run everything else on high (including the important mesh and texture settings) with a 30-60 fps rate, so far. And low and behold, my character developed freckles. Damn. I hate freckles... ;)

You sound just like Vilja, Thrasher :)

Still playing DA:I - and about 50 hours into it. I still feel like there's a massive amount of content to experience. As in, I've barely begun the adventure.

The more I play, the more I'm impressed by the balance between meaty content and "filler" - which, at this point, is much better handled than I would have expected from Bioware.

I'm not quite sure how they pulled it off, or if my tolerance for "the grind" has changed - but it really seems as if they've improved tremendously.

The only real issue I'm having is the obtuse and clunky crafting system, which reminds me of how Mass Effect handled inventory and modifications.

That said, it really is a very nice and powerful system, it's just massively user antagonistic.

Back
Top Bottom