Our first Kickstarter scam, rejoice!!!

The narrative of the successful Kickstarter project makes for great press, but rarely do we hear about the 37 Saddest Failed Kickstarters

Up next: 'The Failed Kickstarter, or 101 ways not to Succeed at a Kickstarter Project', a soft-bound book replete with hand-drawn graphic illustrations and 'how to' tips.

Hello guys, my name is Brian Garvey, I came across this thread as it was the only one that showed up and I want to share my story of what I found yesterday, it is easier for me to link from another forum so here it is.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=36671&p=307145

You have been warned,

Brian,

A good lesson. I wonder how many of these have actually happened or are happening at this moment. You caught this one in time, but I'm guessing this could be sort of like those Ethiopian emails, where they create a lot of fake ones with low funding (this one they only asked for 1000) hoping to get a few.

Guess as long as you only pledge on the big ones (which are under more scrutiny) you're chances of scam are lower.

At least it's not like Indiegogo and others where any amount pledged is gone.

Up next: 'The Failed Kickstarter, or 101 ways not to Succeed at a Kickstarter Project', a soft-bound book replete with hand-drawn graphic illustrations and 'how to' tips.
Not a bad idea that actually…..

Whos Quote was it that said, ''When everyone else is digging for gold, start selling shovels''

I cannot think of a better time when this quote would be more suitable!

Brian!

Edit, it exists!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kick-star...0776172061?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item4607a82a1d

Last edited:
Done! Thanks! The scammer also had a facebook page set up in my name, using same profile photo off Kickstarter, he had liked all the raspberry pi FB pages and had gathered a few non suspecting 'friends' I have reported his personal FB page and it is now gone...The lengths folk go to for a few pounds is shocking, still, I guess it was pretty easy set up all the same, considering he stole everything...

Thanks for the interest Zloth,

Brian,

Pretty worrysome indeed. KS needs to be more vigilant, or stuff like this will quickly hurt their business. I think they rely mainly on the vigilance of customers at the moment. And although your story on the one hand shows that that often works, they should be more careful in reviewing the legitimacy of projects and the identity of project creators or something will slip sooner rather than later.
THX for sharing.

Well, if he really is from Shanghai, it sounds like his life isn't exactly full of bliss, either. They're pulling thousands of dead pigs out of the river where they get most of their drinking water.

Back
Top Bottom