UltimaForever - Now Launched

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Seems EA has pushed the button on UltimaForever. At this point, the content is surprisingly friendly, offering a general Ultima promotional page and a free download of Ultima 4. Yes, it's been "available" for a long time but it's hard to criticise an official download. We'll see what happens down the track, as more content is promised further along.
More information.

Well I can't get it to work. The download includes the file ultima4.exe which I can't do anything with on Windows 7. I have DosBox running and the Ultima 4 install instructions tell you to mount the ultima4 folder but neglect to realize you might not be able to create it in the first place. If I run ultima4.exe in W7 I get a message saying 'this version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running etc' and if I try to run ultima4.exe in dosbox it tells me it's a windows self executable zip file.

Is it just me or the BioWare logo in the website makes you wonder what are they planning on doing with this...?

Rumours anyone?

This plus the "Origin" (EA version Steam) marketplace announced today makes me think there is going to be a very significant announcement at E3.

Is it just me or the BioWare logo in the website makes you wonder what are they planning on doing with this…?

Rumours anyone?

BioWare is EA RPG/MMO division, they merged Mythic into it. Any new RPG made by EA will be labelled "BioWare".

This plus the "Origin" (EA version Steam) marketplace announced today makes me think there is going to be a very significant announcement at E3.

Saw this a few minutes ago.

Origin will become EA's Steam.

Ok, what the hell. They have the banner pic of all the Ultima Boxes, even including the expansions for U7 1 & 2, plus the UU games, but no Savage Empire or Martian Dreams?!? BOYCOTT!!!!!!!!!!

Well I can't get it to work. The download includes the file ultima4.exe which I can't do anything with on Windows 7. I have DosBox running and the Ultima 4 install instructions tell you to mount the ultima4 folder but neglect to realize you might not be able to create it in the first place. If I run ultima4.exe in W7 I get a message saying 'this version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running etc' and if I try to run ultima4.exe in dosbox it tells me it's a windows self executable zip file.

Maybe try getting to the command line in Win7, run the executable, then go into dosbox after that?

I don't get to the web page when i click the above link.

I'm having the same problem as Mbuddha. I'm following the instructions to the letter and get the same results he described.

If anyone's got some advice, that's be great. I haven't played Ultima IV in a long time. Guess it's back to GOG's version of Privateer for now. :p

Looks like just a gimmick to get people to try Ultima Online

It doesn't even shwo me the download...the bottom of the page is blank except the dosbox download link :(

I just don't have the patience to jump through hoops to get Ultima 4 working. I wanted to check it out because I played Ultima 5, 6 + 7 back in the day, and I wanted to add the 256 color mod and see if I had the patience for the game. But I'm in no dire need to play it. You'd think they would check to see that the free game that they are "officially" giving away actually works on current OS.

I lost patience with it, too. Man, I played the hell out of Ultima iV back in the day. Was looking forward to another go. Maybe GOG will release it one of these days.

xu4 works pretty well for playing Ultima 4 on modern systems.

The website isn't working for me either. I just get a 'holding' type page with advertisements on.

I'm surprised EA hasn't yet forced them to take that down.

Unfortunately if you actually try playing it you'll see that they did force him to take it down back in March.

Back
Top Bottom