Obsidian - Project X speculation

Lemonhead

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Obsidian is teasing with a new counter on their website. It has the number 4 and a text that reads:
"What do the words mean? Nothing. The Dirge of Eír Glanfath is sound without form, a lone voice crying out in mourning because it must."

Also, in the source code there is this:
To tenderness, fellowship. To fellowship, vigilance. So bring we all to the Night Market. I am the Spindle of Esenath. Know me by my light and stand with me in darkness.

A new kickstarter and a new IP?
The spiritual successor of Planescape Torment?

http://www.obsidianentertainment.com/

Well I've never heard of "Eír Glanfath" or the "Spindle of Esenath", and a Google search only leads to articles about Obsidian's website. I'm assuming it's a new IP.

"Eír Glanfath" sounds like it's from a fantasy setting. Maybe it's Dungeon Siege 4. That would be kind of anticlimactic.

A new IP would be very nice. I hope the setting feels new and original. Or at least not visited in a while.

Publisher or Kickstarter or self-funded though? That's maybe the most interesting question.

Eh… except Obsidian's site is @ http://www.obsidianent.com/

Unless the referenced address is some sort of mirror I wasn't aware of…

edit: nvm, I see the news tidbit on both sites now. One can only hope it's an original IP and being funded by a good publisher.

Ok, more speculation. I seem to remember Obsidian name-dropping a Wheel of Time game in semi-recent interviews. They also spoke of Icewind Dale 3 but that seems unlikely.

If it has anything to do with South Park I'm going to punch someone.

If it's Dungeon Siege 4 I'm going to ignore it and look forward to the other 30,000 RPGs coming out next year.

If it's something else.. hooray!

Please be something else!!!!!!

edit: I doubt it's WoT. Did you see this? http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rdans-the-wheel-of-time-games-la/posts/304264

The studio that is making that is in a world of bad. Their contracting of Obsidian to make parts of the game likely is all in limbo until they find funding.

I still don't understand why a franchises like Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings and A Symphony of Ice and Fire always end up with mediocre developers. They have the financial muscles and fan base to make something truly great if they just hire the right people and give them enough money/time.

Anyway, this certainly looks like a new IP. If not, they would have used some sort of reference that we could trace. Definitely sounds like fantasy to me, but there's not exactly piles of information to base that suspicion on.

I'm thinking about this too much. While the ouroboros is hardly unique to Wheel of Time and the names and references are alien to the setting, I can't stop seeing the Aes Sedai Great Serpent ring there.

I don't have any ideas. The phrase seem not too original and I suspect we'll see some game not too original.
Lemme add another speculative title although I already know it's not that - Baldur's Gate 3.

Thulsa Doom lives on!

372747830_abca1bf1d9.jpg

(just too little info atm :))

Please don't say that….. that's like my worst nightmare…

I couldn't resist, sorry… ;)

Anyway we can assume:
1. "Light and dark" definetly
2. 99% it's RPG
3. Number on the tease splashscreen (4) is connected to the game with 90% probability
4. 80% it's new IP and not a sequel
5. The "ouroboros" symbol doesn't have to be magic but can also be a derived from any spiral/circle shape or used as a tatoo on a character
6. Like the last Obsidian title, 10% probablibity it's connected to cinema/tv/books

If I counted probabilities right, we're talking about RPG based on the book/movie:
I am number four

Right or wrong, all I hope that the lead designer won't be Josh Sawyer. Not trusting him since Lionheart and absence of his mod for that one instead for FNV.

Drithius is right…there are 3 posts about this. I posted in the news forum:

I'm pretty sure it's a Sword of Truth RPG, based on the books of Terry Goodkind. Even in the Project X forum speculation, the first post I saw was a user name Zed - one of the main characters, and the last line mentions the Seeker, the hero of the series.

Not sure how I feel about this, honestly. I only read the first book. It could be a great game, it's just not my favorite setting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom