Sword Coast Legends - E3 Trailer

Hexprone

Thou hast lost an eighth!
N-Space has self-leaked the E3 trailer for Sword Coast Legends online a few days early. The game is set for release on September 8.

It may be old news to most, but I didn't realize until reading a blurb for this trailer that Dan Tudge, president of n-Space, was also director of the first Dragon Age game. So that's a thing.

More information.

I don't get why there's so much meh about this game. It may not not look like the second coming, but it seems decent enough to at least wait for reviews.

I liked what I saw, it might not be ground breaking but it looks worth a good enough to give it a solid play through.

I agree with Hexprone & CelticFrost. Game still looks like a modern NWN. How I miss the days when the Internet wasn't abundant, and gamers enjoyed games.:(

These guys have really bad timing. If this game had come out a couple of years ago I suspect it would have received a much more positive reception. But in 2015, when we've already gotten Wasteland 2, Divinity: Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity, another top-down isometric CRPG just isn't such a big deal. It's the law of diminishing marginal utility in action.

Maybe people are missing or just don't care about the co-op and Dm modes but they sound fantastic to me.

I also look forward to the single player campaign as well and I thought they said they would keep making campaigns, Adding classes and races and supporting the game as long as enough people showed interest.

Obviously poor execution could muck it up but as I concept I have a hard time finding anything negative about it.

Bottle of rye $40.00
Mix $5.00
acting retard and hung over free after the above.

Buying this game about the same price, so even if I get a few days of fun out it much better buy for my money anyways.

"multiple customization option within classes" doesn't really sound like the deep customization they were promising. I was skeptical about that all along.

No way I'm paying full price for this.

I won't be pre-ordering, but I won't rule out paying full price on release depending on the reviews. This could be good, or it could be a squib. I can't tell yet. Another three months or so and we'll know for sure.

I'll preorder it on Steam for $35. Why? Because I can!

Seems like a lot of pessimism from the singleplayer only crowd.

I'm one of those who is excited for this game and I have no interest in the singleplayer campaign beyond using it as content to play multiplayer. D&D 5E tabletop is probably much more fun to play with more than one person.

MMORPGS kinda suck. The best online RPG experiences are always with more intimate, smaller groups.

I'm sure the campaign will have all the standard RPG game fare like your quests, monsters, treasure. What's going to make it bad, really? I'm not going to make a bad campaign, I wont DM it poorly. Whats the difference to other games SP campaigns? Differences in dialogue will be subtle between two games with similar generic fantasy sidequest events. Singleplayer people might care to judge how well written and/or spoken a line is but for the multiplayer people they're speeding through it to get back to the game. If I'm spending more time reading than playing am I not better off with a book? More time watching cinematics not better off with a movie? I want a game to be mostly gameplay and like traditional games they're played with more than one person.

What you've got here is at the very least tools for players to create their own content in an isometric RPG which leans towards action with its real time combat.
Turn based is great but it is slower and for a multiplayer game and waiting for lots of enemy to take their turns and other players is boring. What really matters is the adventure and its no different to classics like Baldurs Gate so whats not to like?

The DM mode is unique and different to NWN, the only other implementation of a live DM system that I know of, in that DMs powers are limited and collected in the same way as loot for the adventurers in the form of consumables. This offers a new depth to online RPGs not seen before. With game streaming becoming ever more popular I think this is a fantastic idea. It's like the viewer of a stream can actually interact with the player. I think it suits a type of emerging "spectator" gamer type and stream viewer interaction is a very interesting concept I've not heard of before.

I think if you look at the game as an online adaptation of 5E tabletop with faster paced action better suited to an online game and as the graphics as tabletop miniatures and hand placed sets the game is full of potential with the main negative being all the DLC it looks set to release, so they really gotta blow me away with the first release to get me feeling happy about DLC but this is a game I want to check out for sure.

Dungeons and Dragons! :D

I love multiplayer myself - and I like the concept of a DM mode.

But the toolset alone can't make the gameplay systems interesting. If this is as shallow an implementation of DnD as it looks like, I don't care how great the toolset is.

The game will still grow stale very quickly.

The reason NWN worked so well was not just because of the toolset, it was the richness of the DnD implementation.

I don't get why there's so much meh about this game. It may not not look like the second coming, but it seems decent enough to at least wait for reviews.
Because it has a D&D name and that brings certain expectations that this game has not fulfilled so far (they either told us it is working differently or don't want to talk about it).
It is especially problematic since we have not had a proper D&D game since NWN2.

If this was a generic party RPG with no connection to D&D, people would be more interested.

The big waiting game is basically waiting to find out what the combat is like, basically. Basically, basically, basically.

The big waiting game is basically waiting to find out what the combat is like, basically. Basically, basically, basically.
You don't need to wait. One of the earlier videos showed combat. Unless they made big changes, it will be crap for people that liked NWN games or IE games.

NWN was quite crappy with it's combat. Not in the mechanics, but in the encounter design with numpty AI companions. There's a lot more to combat than just cooldowns vs whatever. I too have reservations about the game, but I'm going to stay positive in the run-up. I saw the combat video and it didn't scream "unbearable" but it didn't scream "micromanagement heaven" either. At this point in time I guess not being unbearable would be a plus in my book.

No way I'll pre-order (I rarely every do that anyway), but I might take a look if the reviews are positive. I'm mostly interested in the co-op aspect: I'm always on the look-out for good games to play with the gf.

It looks fine graphically, but yeah, I'm expecting a rather "streamlined" experience.

NWN was quite crappy with it's combat. Not in the mechanics, but in the encounter design with numpty AI companions. There's a lot more to combat than just cooldowns vs whatever. I too have reservations about the game, but I'm going to stay positive in the run-up. I saw the combat video and it didn't scream "unbearable" but it didn't scream "micromanagement heaven" either. At this point in time I guess not being unbearable would be a plus in my book.
It wasn't supreme, but it was 2 character party where you didn't even get to control the second one. NWN2 was already better.
But both played like D&D.

SCL video showed us you don't have to manage strategic resources, corridor map design and AI where you companions play themselves with 0 need of player input (which is not hard to design when you got cooldown system and explains why they went cooldown system in the first place).

The whole game screams "we wanted to do a proper D&D game but we could not afford it so here have this bastard instead!"

Back
Top Bottom