Elder Scrolls V - Wishlist @ Platform Nation

I think you misunderstand what wishes are about.

They're supposed to represent what those making them WANT the game to be "about".

It's fine that you think the past games were "about" this or that, but that's not necessarily what we WANT them to be about.

You might, but I don't exclusively want to keep stuff just because it matches a rigid vision of breadth or scope.

Give me the right combination of elements and I'll show you a better game than one trying to be "about" something - if it's not about fun.

No, I don't misunderstand what wishes are about. I didn't say anything about wishes, just what the hallmarks of the Elder Scroll series are. And so given the history of the games, I *wish* for that history to continue and not change into another kind of game. There are other developers that can fill the void you want, no need to mutate ES into something it's not.

And for the record, I'm a huge fan of well balanced, strong story-based play. It's just that I enjoy the sandbox model as well. There's room for both. Really.

No, I don't misunderstand what wishes are about. I didn't say anything about wishes, just what the hallmarks of the Elder Scroll series are. And so given the history of the games, I *wish* for that history to continue and not change into another kind of game. There are other developers that can fill the void you want, no need to mutate ES into something it's not.

And for the record, I'm a huge fan of well balanced, strong story-based play. It's just that I enjoy the sandbox model as well. There's room for both. Really.

I agree with you. If you don't like sandbox-style games (with all their blemishes) then don't play them! Seriously. There are games whose style I do not like and I just avoid them rather than wish they were something else.

If that is indeed what Zenimax online is working on, they are nevertheless a separate team. This bethblog entry sums up all we know about what Bethesda and Zenimax online are currently working on - which is zilch

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2009/08/17/clarifying-about-next-elder-scrolls-game-mmo-etc/
This is not about the teams, this is about the publisher. No sane publisher would publish a single-player RPG and MMORPG of the same franchise simultaneously. One of the two games (obviously the single player one) would literally be 'killed' in the process.
And about that blog: that's not all. A lot more was said in Interplay vs. Bethsoft court. Including what was said about an AAA MMO similar to WoW. It's obvious that Zenimax Online is indeed working on a medieval fantasy MMORPG. Logical conclusion would be Elder Scrolls Online (and nothing else). And judging by that, we won't be seeing Elder Scrolls V anytime soon.
But it does not mean that Behsoft is not working on another single-player RPG. Fallout4, perhaps.

I agree, there's no need at all :)

But this isn't about needs - though.

It's about how I, personally and subjectively, think the game would be best.

Why in the whole wide world would I care about what YOU want, when I'm talking about what I want from the game?

It's not like I'm expecting it to happen, or I'm saying it SHOULD happen. It's just what I'd LIKE to happen.

In any case, I think you're dead wrong about the game going AWAY from what it's about, by adding most of what I said - but there's a pointless debate if I ever saw one :)

I agree with you. If you don't like sandbox-style games (with all their blemishes) then don't play them! Seriously. There are games whose style I do not like and I just avoid them rather than wish they were something else.

I love sandbox style games and nothing I've suggested would make it go away from that.

It's just that your vision of the best sandbox conflicts with mine - and I'm not the one having a problem with that.

You can want from the game exactly what you wish - so why can't I?

Blackcanopus, It's all idle speculation, but we enjoy that, right? :)
I don't agree that no sane publisher would do that - well, maybe not exactly simultaneously, but I think it makes a lot of sense to release them in close succession. The markets overlap only partially, yet the games can mutually create interest amplifying PR for each other. My gut feeling would be that releasing a single player game about 6 months before the MMO would actually be a good strategy. Once people were done with the TES games, the forums always filled with "multiplayer please!" threads - what better than to point all these people to your soon-to-be-released MMO? Anyway we do not know how far along either the MMO or the SP game is. TES games have usually taken 3-4 years to make, and they most likely started their next big game project in late 2008 after FO3 went gold (link). I doubt they started another FO game then, it wouldn't make sense to give out the license for FO:NV to Obsidian, if they are working on a sequel themselves. Zenimax online was announced in 2007, MMOs are complex projects, and they are still heavily hiring - I don't think they are close to release either. Still, releasing the TES Novel (which apparently bridges the gap between Oblivion and TES V) would indicate that a new TES game is not too far off. Bethesda are master of creating the Hype wave, so I think they released that to keep some interest cooking and will follow up with an annoucment in the coming month, with a release date target about a year or a year and a half later.
If I am wrong (which is very likely) you can later point to this post and laugh at me :)

Blackcanopus, It's all idle speculation, but we enjoy that, right? :)
I don't agree that no sane publisher would do that - well, maybe not exactly simultaneously, but I think it makes a lot of sense to release them in close succession. The markets overlap only partially, yet the games can mutually create interest amplifying PR for each other. My gut feeling would be that releasing a single player game about 6 months before the MMO would actually be a good strategy. Once people were done with the TES games, the forums always filled with "multiplayer please!" threads - what better than to point all these people to your soon-to-be-released MMO? Anyway we do not know how far along either the MMO or the SP game is. TES games have usually taken 3-4 years to make, and they most likely started their next big game project in late 2008 after FO3 went gold (link). I doubt they started another FO game then, it wouldn't make sense to give out the license for FO:NV to Obsidian, if they are working on a sequel themselves. Zenimax online was announced in 2007, MMOs are complex projects, and they are still heavily hiring - I don't think they are close to release either. Still, releasing the TES Novel (which apparently bridges the gap between Oblivion and TES V) would indicate that a new TES game is not too far off. Bethesda are master of creating the Hype wave, so I think they released that to keep some interest cooking and will follow up with an annoucment in the coming month, with a release date target about a year or a year and a half later.
If I am wrong (which is very likely) you can later point to this post and laugh at me :)
I see, you are pointing at something like Torchlight here (single-player first, MMO later). While that's a possibility, I think it's quite unlikely.
I think what Howard said was quite true and they are not currently working on Elder Scrolls V (single-player game). If they release the MMO prior to the single-player game, we will have to wait for a long, because MMOs tend to last for a long time and spawn numerous expansion packs.

And my friend, I most definitely will not laugh at you or anyone else. The only reason I visit this forum is to discuss RPGs with people who like RPGs but have different ideas, and that's exactly what we are doing right now. Let's wait and see what happens. We will laugh together, then! :)

i think the scaling was done well in Morrowind, they just needed to do it more sensibly in Oblivion.

If there was one ridiculous thing that i truly hated in Oblivion, it was that "influence" minigame. "i dont like such trash!" "oh i like that!" "get out of my face!" "youre awesome!" like youre dealing w/ some sort of bi-polar schizophrenic riding out a speed overdose or something.

I kinda like the rewards for exploration idea. I'd love it that when you reach the headwaters of a river or the top of a mountain, you'd receive a little bump for the "discovery". Conquest of the New World used this mechanic and I thought it was really cool. Divinity 2 has well hidden secret areas and a little xp boost for finding this type of thing would go a long way.

My wish is along those lines: I want things to be hidden, where either a skill or just good observation skills are mandatory for finding said things. I think it'd be great if they left a good portion of these out of any hint books, strategy guides, achievements, or other types of help. It'd be great if several items could only be found by reading the books, talking to the right people, etc preceded the search. Divinity 2 does this well too. I'd like to see Bethsoft steal the idea and run with it. Their games are huge, so lets add some hide and seek to the mix.

Back
Top Bottom