GOG - Bethesda Goes to GOG

The initial impressions of Redguard appear to be mostly negative. It seems the framerate is very choppy, possibly due to the Glide wrapper it uses, and the directional audio is reversed.

I don't know what you're talking about, both games always worked for me without any modifications. What Bethesda is giving GOG is literally the same thing they gave for free on their own website for years only with the GOG installer.

Not surprised you don't understand. Daggerfall download from Bethesda didn't work on XP.

EDIT: This was when it was first offered for free from Bethesda (around 2009). It only ran under DOS. Same story for Arena, when it was first available.

Well, looks like Bethesda snuck out DOSBox encapsulations without a big announcement. I stand corrected. Who knows if they are the same or different from the GoG versions?

Last edited:
yeah, this is well worth it just for a version of Daggerfall where I don't have to fiddle with DOSBox and then have it crash after ten minutes.

As others have said Daggerfall has long been freely available, it comes with an installer and is ready to play without any fiddling, though you can fiddle if you choose to.

http://wiwiki.wiwiland.net/index.php?title=Daggerfall_:_DaggerfallSetup_EN

It will be at least as good as the version on GOG. It may even be better if GOG can't/doesn't include all the community patches already included.

Not mentioned in the announcement, but if you get the Elder Scrolls bundle, Arena and Daggerfall are included too. I know they were available for free already, but nice to have them in a GOG package.

Chances are the GOG package isn't as good as what's already available for Daggerfall, as what's already available allows you to select which community patches/extras you want during installation.

I have them again in my games list on GoG marked as classic, well good to have them back where I can download them :)

The Fallout games, or any game on GOG, should not vanish from your list (ie "Bookshelf" of purchased games) even if the game is removed from the list of games for sale on GOG. The only time a game should be removed from your list is due to something like a refund or error.

£15 for Morrowind. I would like to know what the fuck they are smoking. Do they think people in UK are swimming in pile of pound notes!

I balked when I saw the price, great game, fond memories, still have it installed to this day and no way in hell will I pay that much for such an old game. For me they want the equivalent of $20, meanwhile I could pledge $25 to the Divinity Original Sin 2 kickstarter and get a copy of that, for only $5 more.

They can go suck an egg, to put it politely, for wanting so much for what is by gaming standards an ancient game. Anyone who is a fan of Morrowind already has it, barring a few freak exceptions. I'd be willing to bet a very high 90+% of people buying it on GOG already own a copy in some form so this seems like a bad case of milking, or rather ripping off, fans.

Last edited:
As others have said Daggerfall has long been [...] ready to play without any fiddling

Oh. I guess I haven't checked the download after my irritating first attempt.

Well that's 5.99 down the drain then.

No you just aren't recognized as owning the new listing of it. The license you purchased just isn't listed in the catalog anymore because the publisher changed. Guess this is just some weirdness from publishers changing hands.

They package Doom II and Final Doom together, but Ultimate Doom is separate? :thinking:

Yeah ... just mark me as not a huge fan of how this was done ... I mean, if there are Windows compatibility updates in the future do I still get them? Or more goodies? Or am I abandoned? It seems like GoG should have made it a stipulation that their existing Fallout customers would become current Fallout customers.

Oh well ... I'll wait for the sale.

I balked when I saw the price, great game, fond memories, still have it installed to this day and no way in hell will I pay that much for such an old game. For me they want the equivalent of $20, meanwhile I could pledge $25 to the Divinity Original Sin 2 kickstarter and get a copy of that, for only $5 more.

They can go suck an egg, to put it politely, for wanting so much for what is by gaming standards an ancient game. Anyone who is a fan of Morrowind already has it, barring a few freak exceptions. I'd be willing to bet a very high 90+% of people buying it on GOG already own a copy in some form so this seems like a bad case of milking, or rather ripping off, fans.

I already have 2 physical copies of Morrowind and I have a copy of it on steam too so I just want it on GOG for my collection! Anyway its silly price and I am sure it will come down very quickly to around £5 mark. But they must have been having an laugh to put it that high a price to start off with!

You could whine all day ;) but Morrowind is still on top of the Popular list, so people buy it nevertheless ha ha ha

btw i have only two physical copies of game, but it is on my hard disk as well to this very day :)

Definitely going to look into how their version of Redguard runs. I spent some time a few years ago trying to get it to run well with glide under dosbox and actually managed to get a playable experience for a while, but after a while it just started crashing continuously. The parts I could play were fun even if I sucked at the combat.

Back
Top Bottom