The TV Series discussion thread

Engaging maybe, but do you really see much potential in this series? Imo the pilot episode seemed kind of shallow and some of the main actors aren't very believable as fbi agents. The show has basicly one good idea and rest of it is quite forgettable. Just like Blacklist which tried so hard to be cleverest show ever made. But maybe it gets better..:)

I'd rather watch Homeland. The acting quality is much better and the series feels more authentic.

We watched the second episode last night and also found it interestnig ... the characters continue to be revealed, each has secrets and flaws and things of interest, and I find they are playing it pretty well ... enough to have us thinking we'll watch the next one.

As for Homeland ... that is on 'pay TV' - and honestly I refuse to pay $15/month on top of everything else for one or two shows.

Has anyone watched either of these two shows yet? If so any feed back?

The Bastard Executioner
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4218618/

I've watched the first 2 episodes. I'm watching it only because it's middle ages, and I love me some middle ages, but other than that... meh. I specially don't like that the characters are so stereotypical... The goodie Baroness, the evil Chanellor that kills puppies fun, etc. Don't they realize that part of the reason Game of Thrones is so good is because characters (with a few exceptions) are believable?

Rome and Game of Thrones producers creating new fantasy series, a mixture between Lord of the Rings and Avatar, debut 2017:
Game Of Thrones’ & ‘Rome’ Producers Team With Germany’s Beta Film For New Fantasy Series ‘The Perished Land’ – Mipcom
Germany’s Beta Film is teaming with Game Of Thrones producer Frank Doelger and Rome producer Jonathan Stamp on The Perished Land, a 12-part fantasy series conceived to return over multiple seasons. Beta made the announcement at Mipcom this evening in Cannes with a view to being ready in 2017. Rainmark Films and Hofmann & Voges Filmproduktion are co-producing with Beta.

The series is set in the fictional land of Talanton, a world remarkable for its natural beauty which makes it a character in its own right. The fantasy world – which Beta likens to Lord Of The Rings meets Avatar – is a tribal land that will seem “raw, sensuous” and “at times shocking.” It is also a world of vengeful and benign spirits, rituals, superstitions and the supernatural.

Doelger and Stamp are writing the story that will hold up a mirror to human history with Talanton experiencing its own World Wars, Cold War, collision of tyrannies, ideologies, crises of resources and religions. It will unfold as a Hero’s Quest into a multi-stranded narrative.

Separately, Beta said it has put into development two other projects for 2017, both produced by Oliver Berben (Carnage). One is a miniseries based on Patrick Suskind’s cult novel Perfume. It’s envisioned as comprising the story from the book but as a contemporary thriller. Beta is partnered with Constantin Film on the project. Berben will also produce a series about the origins of Greenpeace.

I'd settle for a proper LotR in serialised format with none of the Jackson farts and giggles. Oh, and please keep away anything resembling Cameron's ego indulgence adventure.

I highly recommend Deutschland 83. Set in Germany in the 80's...east west Germany spys

Anyone watch the first episode of The Last Kingdom on BBC America? Followed the books faithfully and is off to a great start. About 10x better then Bastard Executioner. Can never get too many series with evil Danes running around :) ain't that right DArtagnan. Well, the vikings aren't evil just people that live in Denmark :) j/k

Fargo also starts tonight. Walking Dead, Fargo, The Last Kingdom, Homeland, The Strain, Vikings and Game of Thrones what a golden age of TV.

I'm reading the Last Kingdom books right now ( on book five I think), but BBC Canada didn't have the show as of yet. Good to hear that it's better than Executioner, although that wouldn't be a very high bar. I'm not sure why Executioner isn't better than it currently it, I want to like it a lot but it just seem very shallow and meandering so far to me.

At least we get to see Fargo tonight =)

Last Kingdom no, not interested.

Walking Dead… Please make me a recap of every season and I'll watch that because from what I've heard it's dragged more than Santa Barbara show that had 2000 episodes where something new would happen once in 10 eps.

Fargo, I'm in as soon as possible. It was my #1 last year.

About Homeland heard only nicest things but still didn't go for it. Will check on demand and IPTV, I promise!

The Strain had promising season 1, but season 2 is… Dunno. Something is missing there. Won't kill it yet, but the show needs some shaking.

Have no interest for Vikings, just like The Last Kingdom. I don't doubt it's great, but I'd just search to see if new facts discovered were added to the show and as usual I'd be disappointed. It's something where Spartacus, although changing visual representation through modern shot style and actors, excelled when they caught me off guard with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silphium

Game of Thrones I do follow but honestly I'm kinda scared not only Martin could die before ending it but also could I.

Golden age it probably is, but you forgot to mention Doctor Who that started with even more crazy stuff than before and The Blacklist where I can't wait to see more of mobs who are (and were) on the list.
Who doesn't watch Supernatural any more? I'm a faithful fan, although not sure why. Ah well, we all have guilty pleasures.
Then we'll be seeing more of Arrow and Flash, call me nuts, but I do enjoy those two superhero "lemonades" unlike Agents of Shield I couldn't stand.

Here's also hope that C4 change their mind and continue Utopia although the second season wasn't a masterpiece like the first one.

The Strain had promising season 1, but season 2 is… Dunno. Something is missing there. Won't kill it yet, but the show needs some shaking.

That thing you feel is missing is called acting. ;)

I watched the first season, but I haven't felt any desire to watch the second.

I quite liked the Strain - its kinda hammy but fun, especially old Setrakian doddering about and slaying 'vampires'. It really should have been a 2 season show though...
Was watching Graceland awhile back, but that also became tedious. Started Halt and Catch Fire, which was fun, but ran out of steam...Started watching S3 of Sleepy Hollow :eek:... argh! Waiting for Da Vinci's Demons to start, I quite enjoyed it. Also want to get back to Mr Robot - enjoyed what I watched, but got side-tracked by game playing.

I think Doctor Who is one of the worst programs the BBC has ever made. The whole zany, quirky tone makes me cringe, and the script seems like it was written by a committee of caffeinated eight year olds, chaired by a pretentious teenager. I think they were trying to ape the style of Whedon, and misfired spectacularly. It irritates me within seconds. A study in blathering incoherence.

I think Doctor Who is one of the worst programs the BBC has ever made. The whole zany, quirky tone makes me cringe, and the script seems like it was written by a committee of caffeinated eight year olds, chaired by a pretentious teenager. I think they were trying to ape the style of Whedon, and misfired spectacularly. It irritates me within seconds.

I assume you're referring to the series since the 2005 revival.

I don't think it's that bad, but I admit I can't get into it either. I used to love the older shows when I was younger, but these newer ones don't seem to have the same charm.

It might just be me though and the way my tastes have changed since then.

I don't think it's that bad, but I admit I can't get into it either. I used to love the older shows when I was younger, but these newer ones don't seem to have the same charm.

Yes - the original series was OK, though extremely clunky at times. It's the reboot that really grinds my gears.

Not sure ... I grew up with Tom Baker and absolutely loved the series for ages. I saw a few minutes of the 2005 reboot but didn't pay attention, only getting into it when my younger son became a fan during the Tennant / Smith transition. It can be quite good at times and is anyway better than most generic TV hows.

And watching the older ones now ... well, something has changed and I am hard pressed to call much of the old stuff 'better'. ;)

The current doctor is the best recent one since Eccleston, in my opinion. He is definitely more of a mad scientist-type doctor, a kind that has been needed sorely for years. This series is off to a cracking great start, I'm just hoping the current companion steps out of the Tardis at an unfortunate time and we get a new one!

I think Doctor Who is one of the worst programs the BBC has ever made. The whole zany, quirky tone makes me cringe, and the script seems like it was written by a committee of caffeinated eight year olds, chaired by a pretentious teenager. I think they were trying to ape the style of Whedon, and misfired spectacularly. It irritates me within seconds. A study in blathering incoherence.

Sacrilege! Exterminate! EXTERMINATE!

Pfft… don't make me sic K-9 on you. :)

haha - don't get me wrong, I still love the classics, but there is really also much to see in the new ones. All have charms and flaws, well, except as it trailed off in the 80s ...

The latest episode (well, 2 episodes as it was a two-parter) of Dr. Who was really quite good and dealt with the classic paradox for the first time that I've seen, in that the Dr sees something from the future and amends his actions accordingly, creating that future event that couldn't have occurred had he not seen the future. As he simplifies the idea, going back in time to meet Beethoven and playing him something by him that he hasn't written yet, thereby giving him the idea to write it.

Back
Top Bottom