GOG - Galaxy in Open Beta

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
You can now try out GOG Galaxy for yourself, as it is in open beta. Galaxy is Good Old Games' standalone client that provides more functionality and features.

More information.

Installed it several days ago. I like it as it helps me keep track of my games I forget about. I like the fact I did not have to uninstall the games once I installed Galaxy.

It lets you point to where you previously installed your games and add them to the library. Very flexible if you install to various drives other than "C:".

I'll have to check this out.

I used gog less because it didn't have a client.

I can't believe I just typed that, boy have times changed.:biggrin:

Steam has spoiled me I guess.

Yay! :)

I used gog less because it didn't have a client.

I can't believe I just typed that, boy have times changed.:biggrin:

Steam has spoiled me I guess.

You and me both! I always have lamented GOG's lack of platform/auto-updates/achievements. There is just something wonderful about buying a game and not having to worry about all that maintenance. Given Valve's recent...controversy...I'm glad to see GOG step up its game.

That being said...I'm a bit wary of buying Witcher 3 on GOG...I worry the platform might not survive and I do love my Steam achievements! Decisions...

Yes, another tool to enslave us all.

Giving up control over my system and my software?

"From my cold, dead hands" folks!

Oooh, I need to install this.

Yes, another tool to enslave us all.

Giving up control over my system and my software?

"From my cold, dead hands" folks!

Ahh yes, doom and gloom.

I maintain and impeccable system very clean and reinstall windows about every 6 month. Overkill but I enjoy doing it.

With steam on it's own hard drive, I can have windows installed updated and all my games ready in a little over half an hour.

I don't give up control I just delegate the work to steam.

I was in the Alpha, and have seen several incremental improvements with each new release. This latest update adds game sorting. The games used to be displayed in the order that they were installed, now you can sort by name or last activity.

If you sign up you won't get the email instantly like you might think. I signed up about 5 hours ago still no email and many others are saying the same thing. Most likely the links to actually download it will be coming in a few days.

Yes, the invitation stated it would take a few days.

I can't wait to try this. Having my GOG games in an app like Steam is going to feel like I have an entire new collection of games to play. I know there are plenty of games I have on GOG that I haven't gotten around to installing, but I most definitely will play more of them since they will be easily accessible in the client.

Strange, perhaps, but I have grown very fond of these client apps for games. I even love UPlay, as crazy as that may sound. They all look good on my new computer and I'm happy to use them. :)

Does anyone know whether the Galaxy client itself auto-updates, or whether you need to download and run patches for it manually?

Can't they make a deal and combine all these apps into a single consumer oriented thing?

As if running three launch platforms on top of the main platform wasn't enough. Sigh….

Can't they make a deal and combine all these apps into a single consumer oriented thing?

As if running three launch platforms on top of the main platform wasn't enough. Sigh….

Fully agree and I really wish that Microsoft would take the initiative here (and Apple and the Penguin club for the Mac and Linux gamers) to create a client that is somehow fully integrated into Windows (OSX/Linux). On Windows, call it DirectStore or whatever and make a smart interface with tabs for Steam, uPlay, GOG etc. and a shared front page so they all get a piece of the (advertising) action.
It reminds me again that Microsoft's support for PC gaming is really abysmal. Why do we need tools such as MSI Afterburner for system monitoring and fps display or GeForce Experience for recommended game settings etc.? Features like that should be an integral part of Windows so you wouldn't have to load a dozen extra clients/tools for rather basic stuff.

Perhaps Microsoft still wants to play the serious business man. ;)

I even love UPlay, as crazy as that may sound.

Yep, it's official. Time to lock him up. For public safety…

EDIT: Oh, and, I look forward to Galaxy to come to Mac. As sakichop mentioned, I can't believe I'd ever see the day that I prefer these clients, but I do.

Back
Top Bottom