Lords of the Fallen - Preview @ Joystiq

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Joystiq has a new preview of Lords of the Fallen writing the game wants to challenge players not mindlessly punish you.
It's become fashionable for developers to name-drop Dark Souls as emblematic of their own games' similar, tough-as-nails appeal, but this often lacks meaningful merit. Not so in Executive Producer Tomasz Gop's case. His Souls-drop, made when first announcing Lords of the Fallen, was absolutely visible when I saw the game in action. That's not to say it's a replica of the Souls games, something Gop is keen to stress, but I did recognize a familiar mano-a-mano challenge in its third-person RPG combat.
More information.

The best part of the article was this. Be warned it contains a naughty word. So if the word of a certain part of your behind bothers you don't read.;)

"I heard a guy who said that games like [Lords of the Fallen] are assholes," Gop recalled as he summed up the game's challenge. "I said, 'Okay, what if we try to come to a middle ground, and I say yes, you might have the feeling this game is an asshole, but what if it's an asshole that's comprehensible, fair, approachable, and something that actually makes you feel like you know what you're doing? Is that still an asshole?' Maybe a smaller one. We're not planning to be an asshole, but we really think that what is most important about the game is to be fair, predictable, and somehow comprehensible. I believe Lords of the Fallen is exactly that kind of game."

Back
Top Bottom